Tokyo 2020 logo released

susquvalleywgal

You think it's that bad? It's clever if anything. The typeface is symbolic of Japanese script and their architecture. Though I admit, I wish they'd bring back the shield aspect.

I don't like it. They could've done a lot better with the scripting and the "2020" typeface looks very unbalanced altogether with the logo. A lot of improvements could have been made here and as a result it appears inferior to NBC Olympics' past logos.

I like this. Digging how the K and Y flow from/into the O.

But what do I know about design, haha. I’ll just wait until Brand New posts a blog about it and its readers tear it apart.

I love that site. I never took corporate art classes at school, but I think it's a fascinating form of art (as a lot of us do, obvs). I always figured 95 % of the replies were from students, but maybe there's more schmucks like me from the rest of the world who had to once look up "kerning".

Not sure if any of you are soccer fans, but I'm waiting for them to dissect the new USL structure.

But back on track, I like the new logo. It's quite dynamic and non-boring.

I have a Bachelor's in graphic design, and I think the 2020 logo is better than the 2016 one. Its simpler and relies more on typeface. The typeface screams Japan and makes up for a lack of a graphic icon like the wavy triangles from the PC Olympics.

Archived