2018-19 NHL (and NBA) season

Viper550

A few Camping World NASCAR truck races aired on Fox Business in 2017.

And Fox News was called into duty in 2014 for a college game (that's actually how I first discovered this site 😛 - lurked til about 2016/2017).

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

When the markets are closed, CNBC has little use, as such, NBC uses it for sports overflow, NHL, EPL, etc. This leads me to wonder whether FOX would ever use FBN in a similar way since FX & FXX are now with Mickey.

They would need a slate of games that would take up both FS1 & 2. I would think they would send a 4th game to FOX Sports Go before they recruit another TV network,

13 hours ago, Northerner said:

And Fox News was called into duty in 2014 for a college game (that's actually how I first discovered this site 😛 - lurked til about 2016/2017).

What was the situation that caused that to happen? I did a quick Google search and couldn't find anything about it.

6 hours ago, hfiles said:

What was the situation that caused that to happen? I did a quick Google search and couldn't find anything about it.

Turns out it was 2013 (I must've stumbled upon this site in 2014).

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2013/10/26/5032768/texas-tech-oklahoma-heads-to-fox-news-fox-news-viewers-are-angry

Fox was airing a World Series game on a Saturday night and there may or may not have been a rain delay - I think the local Fox affiliates in Texas/Oklahoma stayed to the end while other stations went to World Series pregame coverage.

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Viper550 said:

My observation regarding the Sportsnet/CBC simulcasts no longer appear to be an error. It feels intentional.

But ... why?

Sportsnet recently hired a new president, I assume this could be him putting his stamp on the network - more of a "Sportsnet"-first look during the playoffs.  I didn't mind it when they used the 'SN' logos on games that didn't air on CBC and even understood why they went to an all-HNIC brand in 2016 and beyond.  I even noticed they changed the circular desk's LED board from an 'NHL' logo to a Sportsnet logo.  But, I'd rather see them use the HNIC logo for the CBC games.

Today, TSN simulcast their coverage of the Raptors on CTV - to their credit they brought the 90's-era NBA on CTV theme song out of retirement.

It'll be interesting to see what they do once we get to the finals. Either way this feels more like "Sportsnet on CBC" than it did in the past

At the same time (likely due to the arrangement of this sublicense), the Canadian Premier League games on CBC are taking the OneSoccer feed bug and all in a similar means. 

I missed this (mainly cause Hockey Night in Canada Sportsnet on CBC only uses Sportsnet feeds at this point) but NBC got a new intro and a slew of new insert graphics for the conference finals. Lots of diamonds, and very sharp and technological.  It also looks a bit different from the mysterious "new" inserts we had been seeing (which reminded me more of ESPN's College Football Playoff sub-graphics).

However, everything else is still the 2015 NBC graphics, which do not seem to align with these.

Also, the Toronto Raptors game 7 buzzer beater is already being replayed a million times up here: Sportsnet 360 aired a montage of reactions to it from ESPN and FS1's studio shows. Does everyone on FS1 really yell like they're on CNN that much? Historically, Canada hasn't had as many talking head shows, and they tend to be a bit more serious.

2 hours ago, Viper550 said:

Does everyone on FS1 really yell like they're on CNN that much? Historically, Canada hasn't had as many talking head shows, and they tend to be a bit more serious.

They seem to operate on the same M/O as most political talk radio where everyone screams into the microphone to seemingly try to overcome AM static (I have a certain painful reaction to Mark 'PPM Murderer' Levin), so yes, this is sadly the FS1/ESPN panel show norm.

6 hours ago, Viper550 said:

I missed this (mainly cause Hockey Night in Canada Sportsnet on CBC only uses Sportsnet feeds at this point) but NBC got a new intro and a slew of new insert graphics for the conference finals. Lots of diamonds, and very sharp and technological.  It also looks a bit different from the mysterious "new" inserts we had been seeing (which reminded me more of ESPN's College Football Playoff sub-graphics).

However, everything else is still the 2015 NBC graphics, which do not seem to align with these.

Also, the Toronto Raptors game 7 buzzer beater is already being replayed a million times up here: Sportsnet 360 aired a montage of reactions to it from ESPN and FS1's studio shows. Does everyone on FS1 really yell like they're on CNN that much? Historically, Canada hasn't had as many talking head shows, and they tend to be a bit more serious.

Jamie Horowitz started the "embrace debate" philosophy on ESPN, so when he moved to FS1, he started shows like Undisputed and Speak For Yourself. Ever since he's been fired, Mark Silverman took over, and he said that they're moving on from it.

• 2 weeks later...

On a related note, AHL playoffs are going on too, San Diego vs. Chicago, and NHL Network appeared to be simulcasting a game from KSWB

It's also using the Fox graphics, so I guess Fox Sports San Diego is producing.

And now the Toronto Raptors are in the NBA Finals for the first time in franchise history.

Unlike MLB, the NBA has been happy to recognize Sportsnet and TSN as rightsholders in such a way that it's been able to do its own "regional" telecasts of playoff games. The broadcasting arrangements are going to be interesting for sure: I won't be surprised if Citytv and CTV mess with itheir schedule to simsub ABC's broadcasts. Typically the finals have been exclusive to TSN, but this is a different situation altogether.

1 hour ago, Viper550 said:

And now the Toronto Raptors are in the NBA Finals for the first time in franchise history.

Unlike MLB, the NBA has been happy to recognize Sportsnet and TSN as rightsholders in such a way that it's been able to do its own "regional" telecasts of playoff games. The broadcasting arrangements are going to be interesting for sure: I won't be surprised if Citytv and CTV mess with itheir schedule to simsub ABC's broadcasts. Typically the finals have been exclusive to TSN, but this is a different situation altogether.

The Finals have been split by TSN and Sportsnet, regardless of the teams since 2016.  By pure chance, every NBA Finals-clinching game for the last two years has been televised on Sportsnet (with TSN and Sportsnet using the ESPN/ABC broadcast).

I presume the reason why the NBA allows TSN/Sportsnet to do their own coverage is because of their ownership of MLSE - and the Raptors being granted control of the league's national broadcast rights.  Quite frankly, I'm wondering IF TSN/Sportsnet will be required to take the ESPN/ABC coverage because it's the Finals.

As for simsubbing the ABC broadcast, I could see CTV doing it.  Quite frankly, I was hoping that Sportsnet would've put tonight's Raptors game on Citytv (kinda like how CTV ran a Raptors Playoffs game a few weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon ).  But, I couldn't see it...unless it was Game 7 and Sportsnet holds the rights to that particular game.

Unsurprisingly, Sportsnet and TSN are splitting the finals, with Sportsnet going first.

Plus, CTV2 will be simulcasting the ABC broadcasts of games 2, 4, and 6 (no word on whether Citytv will follow suit). CKVR rimshots Toronto so they'll be getting the simsub for sure.

NBC still cannot seem to make up its mind in the graphics department.

The new inserts from the conference finals got replaced by a completely different set that doesn't match up with anything.

ESPN/ABC has adjusted their NBA graphics during the Finals for several years, and this year is no exception, adopting yet another black and metallic gold color scheme. This year, though, it closely matches the look of official apparel and merchandise. I love it.

967767668_bandicam2019-05-3020-12-34-617.thumb.png.d06b3efcdc7b7006d48d9b7c3d2d99ad.png

On 5/27/2019 at 3:46 PM, Viper550 said:

Unsurprisingly, Sportsnet and TSN are splitting the finals, with Sportsnet going first.

Plus, CTV2 will be simulcasting the ABC broadcasts of games 2, 4, and 6 (no word on whether Citytv will follow suit). CKVR rimshots Toronto so they'll be getting the simsub for sure.

I'm guessing Citytv simulcasting Sportsnet?

• 2 weeks later...

Although Sportsnet on Game 1 had good viewership, all of the broadcasts on TSN appear to have had higher viewership numbers than Sportsnet so far, one-upping it as the most-watched NBA telecasts in Canadian history (Game 4 had 4.631 million viewers)

Game 5's numbers will be a different story, but the ball is in TSN's court if the Raptors clinch on Game 6.

3 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Michelle Beadle, Paul Pierce, and Chauncey Billups are out at NBA Countdown.

https://sportsbybrooks.com/sources-beadle-pierce-billups-out-at-espns-countdown/

How do they expect to gain any traction if they change up the lineup every other year? I can't even count how many changes they've had over the past decade alone, let alone the past two decades.

Congratulations St. Louis on your first Stanley Cup!

But could we have another first-time champion in a major sports league in two days tonight? Game 6 has been upgraded to the main CTV network too

Much like the old ESPN NFL theme, TSN has dug out the old NBA on CTV theme a couple of times for promos (and a retrospective in another game that was randomly simulcast by CTV), but I'm quite shocked they haven't made it their main music just for the occasion...

And THEY DID IT!

CBC, CityTV, and Global in Toronto are in breaking news mode (though CBC has since delegated the coverage to the mountain time edition of The National, which it's airing at midnight), and CBC was running a breaking news ticker on all other affiliates directing viewers to CBC News Network and their website.

Archived