2018-19 NHL (and NBA) season

Viper550

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Viper550 said:

And the Thursday Night Football motifs keep coming.

I think that's where they're heading when they finally update the insert package. I think the SNF look will still be unique and then the other properties will get an insert package that draws some parallels to the SNF look but not by much. Even better if its even remotely like TNF's inserts. 

While I like current look, and it is leaps and bounds better than Troika's package that proceeded it, I don't think it's aging very well and not replacing it during this past year's Super Bowl is a mistake. This also goes double for the RSNs who use their own animation package for game telecasts and it has aged worse than the inserts.

I hope they aren't planning to wait for their next Super Bowl to update their other properties' looks.

• 4 weeks later...

The All-Star Game has some interesting tech gimmicks going on (although Sportsnet isn't using them as much as NBC is. We never do glow pucks around here. Period.)

Also on NBC, the same "Not Quite Thursday Night" score graphic with the flags from the Winter Classic was back too in teal flavor. I begin to wonder, could this be fleshed out into a full package when the playoffs start?

On 2/3/2019 at 2:06 PM, danderson500 said:

NBC had 2 games last night. Here in Asheville we got the Rangers-Lightning game, then we were switched to the Blackhawks-Wild game.

It was a regional broadcast, some had the Bolts-Rangers game, while some got the Hawks-Wild game.

1 hour ago, TheFizzle21 said:

Looks like TNT had their NBA pregame show (All-Star draft show for last night) inside the studio for their March Madness coverage. Didn't have to wait a whole year to see this place again, right? 😅

Just to clarify, it looks like this is the E-League studio that they used for the selection show last year, right?

On 2/8/2019 at 8:32 AM, Spring Rubber said:

Just to clarify, it looks like this is the E-League studio that they used for the selection show last year, right?

Image result for e-league turner

By the looks of this image I found on a Google Image search, that would be a yes. I admittingly didn't know E-league coverage was its initial purpose for the studio. I guess that's why they had an audience for the last year's Selection Show

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, AaronQ said:

NBC is using the flag graphics for the 2019 Stadium Series between the Penguins and the Flyers.

I'm really digging this motif (much more than the game itself). If this were to become their overall NHL look, I'd be quite pleased. Shouldn't take much to build some inserts around it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 12:34 AM, TheRolyPoly said:

So guess who'll probably take it? NBCS N.W.

Root has Mariners and some Seahawks programming. NBCS N.W. has Portland NBA and could get Seattle NHL (probably has the best chance too if Root does have that Mariners ownership stake).

Root/AT&T Sports Northwest is headquartered in Seattle, while NBC Sports Northwest is headquartered in Portland. Root NW has all Seattle/Washington teams, while NBCSNW has all Portland/Oregon teams. The only exception is with MLS, where the Timbers are on Root, and the Sounders who used to be on Root are televised on KCPQ/KZJO.

Based on this, and the fact that the NBA and NHL seasons overlap almost entirely with the Portland Trailblazers being on NBCSNW, I fully expect Seattle’s NHL team to be on Root. 

Tonight we have Sportsnet's Sunday night NHL game (Montreal/Carolina) being simulcast in Cree by APTN. In addition, Hometown Hockey itself (the travelling pre-game/studio segments for these games. Think College GameDay but a bit more, ahem, polite) is broadcasting from a First Nations community in the suburbs of Edmonton (the setting only seems to match up with the teams playing 15% of the time).

(This is the, I believe, Winnipeg-based studio for their national newscast. Which doesn't look too bad in the Habs colors. Usually it's in blue and cyan)

• 2 weeks later...

Last night was Bob Cole's final game. The game itself was pretty much meaningless (the Canadiens were out of contention already, and Toronto already made it into the playoffs), but it didn't stop it from actually being entertaining.

For the playoffs we're also on new graphics watch again, given NBC's constant teasing of TNF-esque visuals (now would be the second-best time for an overhaul, with Indy coming up too), and Sportsnet beginning to refresh things on its Blue Jays.

16 minutes ago, danderson500 said:

Be interested to see what NBC does with the Sharks game. Since the Isles-Pens game is in OT, and the Jets-Blues game isn't over yet, maybe the NBC app till either one ends?

Maybe CNBC, which is airing Shark Tank right now.

EDIT: The game will start on the NBC Sports App.

12 hours ago, danderson500 said:

Be interested to see what NBC does with the Sharks game. Since the Isles-Pens game is in OT, and the Jets-Blues game isn't over yet, maybe the NBC app till either one ends?

NHL Network usually gets the overflow if games go over.

12 hours ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

NHL Network usually gets the overflow if games go over.

There were 5 games scheduled yesterday. NBCSN and USA had doubleheaders and NHL Network had a single game, and USA and NHLN were mid game when OT occurred.

On a separate note, why doesn’t NBC solely utilize USA as its secondary cable channel instead of mixing in CNBC too. It’s a pain trying to find what channel games are on, and USA seems like the more appropriate channel as it’s geared towards entertainment programming instead of business/consumer news.

Minor odd detail of note: even the games airing on CBC have a Sportsnet logo on the scoreboard/going to commercial, rather than the Hockey Night in Canada logo (previously, barring the first season where it depended on the network, they had consistency used the HNIC logo on these games, although the replays/other logos had always had a co-branded emblem).

On 4/11/2019 at 11:39 PM, TVNewsLover said:

There were 5 games scheduled yesterday. NBCSN and USA had doubleheaders and NHL Network had a single game, and USA and NHLN were mid game when OT occurred.

On a separate note, why doesn’t NBC solely utilize USA as its secondary cable channel instead of mixing in CNBC too. It’s a pain trying to find what channel games are on, and USA seems like the more appropriate channel as it’s geared towards entertainment programming instead of business/consumer news.

Don't think USA can bump WWE, but next year, Smackdown moves to Fox. That's why they use CNBC more.

When the markets are closed, CNBC has little use, as such, NBC uses it for sports overflow, NHL, EPL, etc. This leads me to wonder whether FOX would ever use FBN in a similar way since FX & FXX are now with Mickey.

Archived