CTV Toronto using CP24 reporters

ED2

On CTV Toronto's 11:30 PM news, they had 2 live reports from CP24 reporters in addition to their 1 live report from one of their own reporters. I am wondering if this is a sign that Bell is ready to fully integrate CP24 into CTV Toronto, or vice versa...

On CTV Toronto's 11:30 PM news, they had 2 live reports from CP24 reporters in addition to their 1 live report from one of their own reporters. I am wondering if this is a sign that Bell is ready to fully integrate CP24 into CTV Toronto, or vice versa...

I didn't get to see their show tonight, but I suspect it may have been a case of being short staffed as usually 24 and CFTO will send out separate reporters/cameras.

In 2016, I once saw Nick Dixon (then on CP24) do a hit into the 6pm show on CFTO - changing his mic flag in the process, same with Tracy Tong (then at CP24) hitting onto their 11:30 show. Likewise I've seen CFTO reporters hit on 24 with full credit as "CTV Toronto" reporters and mic flags. Don't suppose you saw what mic flags they were using tonight?

While there is a lot of sharing of footage - not to mention a helicopter - I don't think we're ever going to see a true integration.

CTV fought to keep CP24 during the CHUM breakup and I think Bell Media has realized that it's a very valuable property and brand - go to any bar, business, bank, doctor's office in the GTA and see what channel it's tuned on. Don't change for changes sake.

Part of it, I suspect may be cost - CFTO produces reporter packages and CP24 doesn't. They don't have nearly as many editors at 24 than they do at CFTO.

I didn't get to see their show tonight, but I suspect it may have been a case of being short staffed as usually 24 and CFTO will send out separate reporters/cameras.

In 2016, I once saw Nick Dixon (then on CP24) do a hit into the 6pm show on CFTO - changing his mic flag in the process, same with Tracy Tong (then at CP24) hitting onto their 11:30 show. Likewise I've seen CFTO reporters hit on 24 with full credit as "CTV Toronto" reporters and mic flags. Don't suppose you saw what mic flags they were using tonight?

While there is a lot of sharing of footage - not to mention a helicopter - I don't think we're ever going to see a true integration.

CTV fought to keep CP24 during the CHUM breakup and I think Bell Media has realized that it's a very valuable property and brand - go to any bar, business, bank, doctor's office in the GTA and see what channel it's tuned on. Don't change for changes sake.

Part of it, I suspect may be cost - CFTO produces reporter packages and CP24 doesn't. They don't have nearly as many editors at 24 than they do at CFTO.

Both CP24 reporters on CFTO's 11:30 news used CP24 mic flags, they were even identified as CP24 reporters.

I wouldn't rule out CFTO and CP24 newsrooms merging, but it probably won't come very soon. If they did merge, I would imagine CFTO News moving in with CP24 than vice versa.

And yeah, I've seen how omnipresent CP24 is in Toronto. It's in every waiting room, coffee bar, restaurant, strip club, etc in the GTA.

Archived