WJTV (and WHLT) new look coming?

tyrannical bastard

I smell a relaunch coming to WJTV (and WHLT).....

upload_2018-10-1_21-12-55.jpeg.183ee0dbf2245d84c677951b2b9be9e9.jpeg

This logo is being used on their twitter, and i've seen the square version on their Facebook, and on their set monitors..

Here's their Facebook header...

41599993_10155781300285509_8309588586097803264_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&oh=c8d64553984b0067264fe0a82c1a2c14&oe=5C4F8274

I can occasionally get WHLT OTA (which is basically a repeater of WJTV's newscasts with Hattiesburg ads), and they are still on the CBS/Scripps-esque package still used by WNCT.

The question is, will they get the KOLR/CBS look, or something different (hopefully not the mess WSPA has)...

We shall see...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That yellow & blue shade doesn’t look very Linear Drift-y, which probably means it was done on the cheap.

Supposedly "Linear Drift"/Rey Rodriguez designed these graphics while working at Nexstar (as opposed to working for Nexstar). The Nexstar hub is in charge of them.

Unless you're in a small-sized state, branding with an entire state is ridiculous (did Nexstar not learn from WCNC at all?). And especially with a name like 'MIssissippi'. The logo isn't very good, either.

ETA - Thanks everyone for catching my error. I love callsign salad. ‍♂️

Unless you're in a small-sized state, branding with an entire state is ridiculous (did Nexstar not learn from WCNC at all?). And especially with a name like 'MIssissippi'. The logo isn't very good, either.

*WNCN

WNCN is a CBS affiliate

Well, the WCNC/WNCN similarity was the case before WRAL lost CBS to them and chose to affiliate with NBC. Now you have WNCN and WNCT in adjacent markets with the same affiliation.

Back to Laurel/Hattiesburg.....I wonder if the WKRGesque WHLT logo will last much longer... It seems they've ceded to WJTV for pretty much everything but some shows and local ads.

Well, the WCNC/WNCN similarity was the case before WRAL lost CBS to them and chose to affiliate with NBC. Now you have WNCN and WNCT in adjacent markets with the same affiliation.

Back to Laurel/Hattiesburg.....I wonder if the WKRGesque WHLT logo will last much longer... It seems they've ceded to WJTV for pretty much everything but some shows and local ads.

In 1997-1998 when Media General moved HLT to their current location they were in a much smaller facility. I don’t see how Nexstar would allow the lease to continue for their current space if 80-90% of it isn’t being utilized. If they’re not going to produce news at HLT I would think they should keep a sales office and space for reporters in Hattiesburg and have everything else in Jackson and send OTA feeds to the transmitter site.

In 1997-1998 when Media General moved HLT to their current location they were in a much smaller facility. I don’t see how Nexstar would allow the lease to continue for their current space if 80-90% of it isn’t being utilized. If they’re not going to produce news at HLT I would think they should keep a sales office and space for reporters in Hattiesburg and have everything else in Jackson and send OTA feeds to the transmitter site.

IIRC, isn't WHLT located in the former movie theaters at the mostly dead Cloverleaf Mall?

The mall is pretty much vacant except for some local salvage stores, call centers and a store or two on the outside.

WDAM used to have a sales office in Hattiesburg near the USM campus. Their main facility is up US11 in Moselle on the way to Laurel (their city of license).

IIRC, isn't WHLT located in the former movie theaters at the mostly dead Cloverleaf Mall?

The mall is pretty much vacant except for some local salvage stores, call centers and a store or two on the outside.

WDAM used to have a sales office in Hattiesburg near the USM campus. Their main facility is up US11 in Moselle on the way to Laurel (their city of license).

Yes, WHLT is in the old Cloverleaf Mall. It’s mostly occupied (surprisingly) these days.

And WDAM does not have the sales office on Hardy Street any longer (and likely neither in Laurel anymore) as far as I know. WDAM went through a major remodel a couple years ago and added on so sales, etc. are all in one location (

)

I happened to find this little gem. As soon as 2 years ago, WHLT actually did their own 10pm show!

Probably pre-taped from Jackson....and it still had a news open to it! This was right before Nexstar took over...

Was this it's own A-block (with WJTV filling the rest), or was the entire show tied to WHLT?

I happened to find this little gem. As soon as 2 years ago, WHLT actually did their own 10pm show!

Probably pre-taped from Jackson....and it still had a news open to it! This was right before Nexstar took over...

Was this it's own A-block (with WJTV filling the rest), or was the entire show tied to WHLT?

Pre-recorded 10 p.m. newscast all with Hattiesburg market material.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived