CBS opening new television facility...

Journalist

...in Canada.

U.S. entertainment company CBS Television Studios will open a television and film production hub just outside Toronto next year.

The company says the hub will include six sound stages, production offices and other support facilities.

CBS says the 260,000 square-foot facility will be located in Mississauga and is due to open in mid-2019.

Why.

None of the US networks seem to have Canadian bureaus or partners. I’ve seen NBC and CBS rely and interview different journalists from different networks. I guess it’s not surprising as you can just drive across the border.

Don't worry fams, it's all part of their secret plan...

[ATTACH=full]6560[/ATTACH]

I don’t mind this.... maybe change the > back to red lol

Corus Entertainment (owners of a Global and several popular cable channels) have had their stock prices tank to new lows recently. I wonder if CBS has come by and kicked their tires...

None of the US networks seem to have Canadian bureaus or partners.

If I recall correctly, CBS News has an affiliation with CBC News. I believe I mentioned this back in the shoutbox last year, but Peter Mansbridge made some appearances on the Evening News as a CBS "Canadian Correspondent".

Oh...

Oh wait...

upload_2018-9-27_10-19-8.png.19132f947c2488584f30b02d105dbb6f.png

I don’t mind this.... maybe change the > back to red lol

Corus Entertainment (owners of a Global and several popular cable channels) have had their stock prices tank to new lows recently. I wonder if CBS has come by and kicked their tires...

Can CBS buy Corus? I know that the CRTC is none too kind about foreign ownership.

If I recall correctly, CBS News has an affiliation with CBC News. I believe I mentioned this back in the shoutbox last year, but Peter Mansbridge made some appearances on the Evening News as a CBS "Canadian Correspondent".

Oh...

Oh wait...

[ATTACH=full]6565[/ATTACH]

Naw I always saw CBC being Tegna-ized.

What? You don't think people can "Ooh-ah" at CBC?:p

Can CBS buy Corus? I know that the CRTC is none too kind about foreign ownership.

They cannot.

Foreign ownership is capped at both equity (33%) and operational control (20%).

Case-in-point, ESPN still maintains 33% ownership of TSN but aside from the logo had very little else to say about TSN operations.

When Canwest bought Alliance Atlantis - they had to create a holding company with Goldman Sachs to own those operations and had to go through a number of hoops just to get the ownership to sit at a 51/49 split. Craig Broadcasting was forced to redo their deal with Viacom at one point because of a clause that would have seen Viacom take control in certain circumstances.

I know it was a point of contention in the NAFTA talks but in past surveys - most Canadians have in the past said they would prefer to keep foreign ownership away.

We do however want more wireless choices (Verizon tried but gave up on those hopes in 2012).

It’s kind of amazing that Dear Leader hasn’t gotten around yet to figuring out a way to punish media companies that save money by producing programming in Canada.

I'm sure our dear leader has partaken and a few Saturday afternoon Lifetime cable movies...

You know the movies...

Always a young bouncy coed who falls in love with her stalker creepy "internet hookup"...

Shot in Toronto or Vancouver B.C.

I thought everybody was watching those Canadian produced thrillers.

No?

Just me?

Only when I'm sick or ill.

I'm sure our dear leader has partaken and a few Saturday afternoon Lifetime cable movies...

You know the movies...

Always a young bouncy coed who falls in love with her stalker creepy "internet hookup"...

Shot in Toronto or Vancouver B.C.

I thought everybody was watching those Canadian produced thrillers.

No?

Just me?

Only when I'm sick or ill.

Vancouver in particular is a hotbed for american TV shows in production

The last time I know of that a foreign company owned a broadcast property in Canada was RKO General owning CKLW AM/FM/TV in Winds...err... "The Motor Cityyyyyy"

ABC had a small ownership stake in CTV at that co-op's founding, but it was more so the network could get off the ground.

What winds up happening is that a broadcast conglomerate here can license their name to Bell, Corus or Rogers and THEY operate the network in Canada for them. Most times it works, other times, you get oddities, like ABC Spark existing in Canada as the equivalent to Freeform, or G4 Canada outlasting G4 in the US for several years (replete with 15-year old Leo Laporte reruns to fulfill the network license)... or E! being used as the brand name of Global's secondary terrestrial network - the former CH net - before Global shut it down (E! was later reborn as a Bell-run network, IIRC).

The last time I know of that a foreign company owned a broadcast property in Canada was RKO General owning CKLW AM/FM/TV in Winds...err... "The Motor Cityyyyyy"

ABC had a small ownership stake in CTV at that co-op's founding, but it was more so the network could get off the ground.

What winds up happening is that a broadcast conglomerate here can license their name to Bell, Corus or Rogers and THEY operate the network in Canada for them. Most times it works, other times, you get oddities, like ABC Spark existing in Canada as the equivalent to Freeform, or G4 Canada outlasting G4 in the US for several years (replete with 15-year old Leo Laporte reruns to fulfill the network license)... or E! being used as the brand name of Global's secondary terrestrial network - the former CH net - before Global shut it down (E! was later reborn as a Bell-run network, IIRC).

OLN still exists! It's become a reality show home (Storage Wars-esque).

Archived