ABC Foul?

Eat News

I guess this ends the mystery about that 3:30 WNT on KABC.

“The bottom line is, ‘World News Tonight’s’ numbers belong in Disney’s Land of Make Believe.”

ABC accused of playing dirty in bid to win network news war...

https://pagesix.com/2018/09/25/abc-accused-of-playing-dirty-in-bid-to-win-network-news-war/

Disgraceful.

For some reason, I avoid WNT like the plague and would watch Nightly News instead, after David Muir took the reins (not that I have anything against him).

Now I have a good one.

Agreed they shouldn’t be including those numbers, however, at the end of the day doesn’t change that they’d still win. Also, what’s this have to do with David in particular that makes you dislike him?

Is this why NBC re-airs the Nightly News in the middle of the night here on KUSA?

So....did ABC NEWS pay LA ABC to air WNT at 3:30????? Where do they get all their money anyway???? NOT from Disney I hope!

KABC is an O&O, I believe the network can just make them clear programming as they see fit.

[1]Agreed they shouldn’t be including those numbers, however, at the end of the day doesn’t change that they’d still win.

[2]Also, what’s this have to do with David in particular that makes you dislike him?

1) That's fair. I understand.

2) I don't dislike him; it's the format. Because of it, I just dont have much interest in the show like I use to.

God forbid Disney owning a ABC station in... Los Angeles.

I mean, this is nothing but a slippery slope here. What next? Weekend sports?

Think of the children!

It's been um.......an interesting couple of years for Disney Parks. Just wondering if it's still good for Disney to have ABC News in the family.

Nielsen needs to stop playing the 'special rerun' garbage game they allow the networks to partake in, and practices like this. This is their own fault for allowing stations and networks to cancel out entire shows because of a big event on another network, or to secure a minute ratings advantage. It always annoys me in Milwaukee how the stations always 'special rerun' their newscasts against Packers games. If you're going to rate things as a private company, just rate things and stop loosening the rules.

But otherwise? It's a 24-hour world, and if someone wants to watch a primetime newscast live at 3:30pm in LA, that shouldn't be a problem. Just don't count it in the regular ratings numbers. Frankly, it's on the syndication industry that they now have nothing to offer in a half-hour any longer besides court clone shows or viral video compilations that treat the audience like they're in Romper Room. It's literally better to carry a live newscast that that offal in the long run. NBC's late-night NN reruns were a lot dirtier as it was competing only with people who don't know how to find an eight-hour old newscast on NBCNews.com.

Kind of ABC related, How come WISN overruled ABCNEWS SR for 12 News At 5 tonight? Not that I minded at all, but my father was wondering.

The other market stations were carrying it live. Likely they just didn't see further news value that couldn't be condensed and recapped a half-hour later or on Nightline and going local could give them an easy advantage.

Not really related, but what if I told the Muir haters that he usually anchors WNT in jeans? That'll frost your cakes and keep y'all busy for awhile, I'm sure. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=sn9pc1EiLoM;m=4;s=26

It’s called the reporters mullet. I heard the term from Joe Fryer - business on top, party on the bottom.

Locals anchors and reporters used to do this but with these sets where the anchor stands, HD sets showing more height and various bump shots it’s not advisable.

It’s called the reporters mullet. I heard the term from Joe Fryer - business on top, party on the bottom.

I once anchored my college's newscast in track pants and a suit jacket + shirt and tie combo. Very comfortable. Doesn't beat the shorts + jacket/shirt/tie look though!

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was very funny to see how much WNT rose in the ratings all over a sudden. When Lester Holt got promoted he was crushing WNT and then around middle of 2017 WNT surpassed them in ratings. I really don't know where it was coming from unless the ABC affiliates were getting higher ratings in certain media markets and it carried over to WNT.

I once anchored my college's newscast in track pants and a suit jacket + shirt and tie combo. Very comfortable. Doesn't beat the shorts + jacket/shirt/tie look though!

I thought the running joke was Uncle Walter anchored with a tie, shirt, suit jacket, etc. but wore no pants, just his skivvies? o_O

• 1 month later...
When is WISN's contract with ABC up? I don't think it would hurt WISN to change networks. WISN is too good for ABC anyway!

Huh. Not sure how this is related to this particular thread at all.

In any case, Hearst has a very cozy relationship with ABC overall, and WISN in particular does surprisingly well carrying ABC programming. There's also considerable heritage with ABC and WISN, despite the brief run as a CBS affiliate. I don't think any of Hearst's ABC affiliates, particularly WISN, will be changing anytime soon.

When is WISN's contract with ABC up? I don't think it would hurt WISN to change networks. WISN is too good for ABC anyway!

Hearst is one of ABC’s biggest affiliate partners outside of Scripps and Sinclair. So I don’t forsee the relationship ending anytime soon.

Archived