WDAF-TV renovations/set

TheRob

I dont understand why KCPT could not host it. That looked very strange to me.

It does look odd. However these debates are usually decided mutually by the candidates and KCPT was either the only one they picked together on the list or the only willing station.

• 2 weeks later...

We didn't have much choice on the debate. It came together in about 36 hours. Rep. Yoder refused to participate if it took place at the newspaper, since they had endorsed the opponent Sharice Davids. KCPT was already using its studio for recording a K.T. Tunstall concert, I think.

• 1 month later...

Have there been a lot of technical bugs?  Will the weather office remain on set, or will they still have their main office in another room?  What changes from a new set perspective will you have as compared to the old set?

The weather office remains in a separate room.

All new sets have malfunctions and ghosts in the machine. When we launch it, we'll keep newscasts basic for a while. You'll probably see more of it in the morning news because half of the studio is the news set, and the other half is three separate interview sets. In fact, I think the 9:00 a.m. show will be staged entirely at one of those interview sets.

Love the work BDI did to the place, which makes me a bit sad at the same time since Nexstar is purchasing Tribune's TV assets, and as many people already know, most of their new set builds are usually done in-house (with a few exceptions).

• 2 weeks later...

Really nice work here.  I'm normally not cool with video-wall based sets, but this is one done right, and with a lot of thought and local flavor put into it.

Paired with their graphics--which I stand by being one of the best (I assume) in-house works in the country--this is a really nice overall visual brand. I really hope Nexstar (or FOX?) doesn't mess it up.

And if you want to see its finished on-air use, WDAF put it at the end of a YT montage of their sets over the years:

39 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

Really nice work here.  I'm normally not cool with video-wall based sets, but this is one done right, and with a lot of thought and local flavor put into it.

Paired with their graphics--which I stand by being one of the best (I assume) in-house works in the country--this is a really nice overall visual brand. I really hope Nexstar (or FOX?) doesn't mess it up.

And if you want to see its finished on-air use, WDAF put it at the end of a YT montage of their sets over the years:

Unless I missed something, I only saw sets from the day WDAF signed on through the 70s and from the Early 2000s onward in the montage, nothing in between 1979 and 2000

1 hour ago, Ramona said:

It is missing a set—namely the late 70s/early 80s one.

I may have to watch the video linked above your post again but was the WDAF sets from the mid-80s through the early years as a Fox O&O missing from the Sets Throughout the Years video too?

EDIT: After watching the video the 2nd time, the sets WDAF used in the early years as a Fox O&O was in the video but the sets seen during the later years as an NBC affiliate wasn't

3 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

Honestly I’m a lot more worried about what FOX would do.  Their graphics hub isn’t exactly... well, I’m trying to find a nice way to say “kill those graphics with fire”.

Archived