Comcast Technology Center, NBC 10, Telemundo 62 New Studios (Possible First Photo)

rkolsen

Few observations:

Both news studios overlook the newsroom and out of CTC's eastern facade. They closed the morning show with a neat shot out of the window. I will say with the way the lighting is, you probably won't see much of the windows on air at least in the morning anyway with the rising sun shining right through it. CTC's smart shades (yes I said smart shades) will definitely be lowered.

There's a standup desk in the newsroom that is co branded with the NBC10 and Telemundo 62 logos which will be used for reporter standups. I'm glad they've gone back to using the newsroom for live reports. I know they went away from that at Bala cause the newsroom there was pretty ratty and they had no intention of renovating it.

This one is a trend that I hope continues, they're using a ton of sweeping shots for tosses between the anchors and the weather and traffic talent as well as going in and out of breaks. There's also a few overhead flash cams mounted around the studio. I think they'd benefit from a decent jib if they want to make the sweeping wide shots a thing.

They use the monitors in the interview area to display graphics or other items based on the subject of the interview. Like today on the 11AM they had Eagles TE Zach Ertz and his wife Julie on, and on the big picture monitor behind them they had their camera at Linc running and behind Vai who was interviewing them they had a generic picture of turf on the three vertical monitors. That area will prove to be very versatile.

I'm a bit surprised that they have yet to have any of the anchors stand up for a story. Maybe they will do that at 4 today.

I have to say, I think I like WWSI's desk and home base a little more than WCAU's not by much. In fact I would actually swap the desks. I think WWSI's desk goes with WCAU's set better but that's just me.

Overall a great facility in a beautiful building.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They could, potentially, do some really interesting reporter standups with the main backdrop if the anchor desk were a little more in the foreground and they had a jib.

I'm inclined to believe if they didn't budget a jib (and a jib operator!) for the move, it's probably not happening.

I'm surprised it's flush against the wall and not angled down. I thought that was standard practice.

The downward angle mounting was to eliminate glare/reflections from glossy LCD displays. LED walls are essentially matte and don't have the reflection issues, so you can shoot them straight-on without a problem.

I like how many here expect all the bells and whistles to be thrown at the viewer on day one. Literally everything about this facility is brand new to everyone involved — give them time to get comfortable before they get super creative.

And brand new technology in general. There are not many all IP broadcast plants.

I think this new set continues to exemplify 10's recent philosophy when it comes to their news set: simple and efficient. While it may look underwhelming in their first few newscasts, I look forward to see how they utilize the different parts of the new set.

Finally a seamless video screen.

The two-shot and the three-shot angling over to the weather center remind me of the KTRK newsmat setup.

Nice look - curious how the close up one shots look, and whether they throw some graphics back there like WLS does well.

One thing I noticed on their weather maps (specifically the one where it’s a static picture butnthe weather changes in the backdrop/foreground) is that the CTC isn’t even there.

In one of their online videos they showed Billy Penn uptop but I’m curious what this whirenthing stacked on eachother are? Are they tower/obstruction warning lights or some sort of lightning suppression?

9E1A1B9A-7C6D-4033-9A40-2721CCE43CA5.thumb.jpeg.65bd8df51f891617ec58efa20dd65b38.jpeg

Additionally for some unknown reason they included diagridal shapes (the building support structure) above the monitors in the weather center and I think prints of them around the traffic center. I say unknown reason because as far as I know there are no prominent buildings in Philadelphia built that way nor is the CTC or the Comcast Tower. Of course the two famous modern examples of diagrid structures are Hearst Tower in NYC and The Gherkin in London.

839FF8C0-01B1-40A2-8E52-0567B7F5CB62.thumb.jpeg.bfbc1c59a4f9edbe8fd6478802684f13.jpeg

Also, the weather team probably got the best desks as most of theirs are against the windows whereas the others are further inward.

[MEDIA=instagram]BpP9hgXB2SD[/MEDIA]

6946F89B-62FC-4DC5-B55D-0CEB409204FF.png.0bb9eed846962f59846256200e2f3b76.png

One thing I noticed on their weather maps (specifically the one where it’s a static picture butnthe weather changes in the backdrop/foreground) is that the CTC isn’t even there. [/Quote]

They've for the most part have been using their live cameras for their weather graphics since they made the move. That one shot you're probably referring to is the Parkway cam and CTC is just out of the shot.

In one of their online videos they showed Billy Penn uptop but I’m curious what this whirenthing stacked on eachother are? Are they tower/obstruction warning lights or some sort of lightning suppression?

[ATTACH=full]6674[/ATTACH]

That's the aircraft warning beacon.

Additionally for some unknown reason they included diagridal shapes (the building support structure) above the monitors in the weather center and I think prints of them around the traffic center. I say unknown reason because as far as I know there are no prominent buildings in Philadelphia built that way nor is the CTC or the Comcast Tower. Of course the two famous modern examples of diagrid structures are Hearst Tower in NYC and The Gherkin in London.

[ATTACH]6673[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]6675[/ATTACH]

CTC was designed by Norman Foster who designed the other two buildings you mentioned. The diagonals are a signature of his works.

The diagonals you see over the screen at home base is actually a nod to Liberty Place and its crown lighting.

Also, the weather team probably got the best desks as most of theirs are against the windows whereas the others are further inward.

[MEDIA=instagram]BpP9hgXB2SD[/MEDIA]

I love Glenn's reaction, "this is my 40th year in television and this my first ever window". It just makes sense to put the weather department at the windows right? Lol

• 3 weeks later...

Archived