Comcast Technology Center, NBC 10, Telemundo 62 New Studios (Possible First Photo)

rkolsen

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.instagram.com/jessicaboyington/

https://www.instagram.com/stevesosnanbc/

So according to Jessica's InstaStory, this morning's newscast was either the last or second to last morning newscast from Bala. BTW, her and her producer post halftime (5:30 AM) InstaStories and it's always a good laugh... there's always singing, sometimes they show Bill unwilling to sing, and Vai goofing off from time to time. And Steve's InstaStory indicated that he's making his final few commutes to Bala.

According to this Philly.com article it sounds like they are keeping their Bala Cynwyd facility as they will:

Fifty or so employees will still work out of the Bala Cynwyd offices. NBC10 and Telemundo will store and manage their 40 news trucks and vehicles there.

I’m curious if they’re going to modernize the facility for the remaining staff and rent out the studios.

So what the reporters are going to do for their assignments? Will the reporter stay at Bala with the photographer? Or do the photog have to drive the truck to Center City to pick up the reporter from CTC and go to their assignments? If its the latter, that's alot spent on gas.

So what the reporters are going to do for their assignments? Will the reporter stay at Bala with the photographer? Or do the photog have to drive the truck to Center City to pick up the reporter from CTC and go to their assignments? If its the latter, that's alot spent on gas.

I honestly don’t know. I imagine the reporters will be based at CTC and maybe they’ll meet them up somewhere. Maybe they’ll have shuttle set up once reporters got their assignments.

For a while (a year I think) all the KNBC/KVEA truck’s we’re still kept at the Burbank Studios after they moved to Universal Studios. But that’s a two mile drive.

Anyword on how it’s handled at 30 Rock?

I honestly don’t know. I imagine the reporters will be based at CTC and maybe they’ll meet them up somewhere. Maybe they’ll have shuttle set up once reporters got their assignments.

For a while (a year I think) all the KNBC/KVEA truck’s we’re still kept at the Burbank Studios after they moved to Universal Studios. But that’s a two mile drive.

Anyword on how it’s handled at 30 Rock?

Trouble editing so:

WCAU to CTC is roughly 10 miles and a straight shot up 76. As of right now it would take 16 minutes.

However, I’d imagine much of the news they cover is in the Center City area so photogs could easily pick up reporters.

Also, I realized that at 30 Rock from pictures I’ve seen on social media and during Today there seems to always be a truck or two parked during the day. I imagine WNBC has it more difficult as last I heard the trucks are kept in a different borough.

Since they are moving I thought I’d look up an old issue of Television magazine from June 1964 which featured on the architecture and challenges of building a studio. There are two pages attached one is more in-depth about construction and the second shows the traffic flow (the main entrance, ramp, and a glass cornered lobby). It’s pretty interesting it details that there are three TV studios - the largest is 60’ x 40’ and can cold 230 audience members. Studios 2 and 3 are 1800 sq ft. I’m not sure what studio was cannibalized for their newsroom. [attachment=4748:name] Is this cornered glass area the same spot they occasionally do sit down interviews at? [attachment=4749:name] H/T to @Weeters who a year or two ago [URL='https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Television-Magazine/Television-1964-Jun.pdf'] posted a link[/URL] to the magazine in the chat box. And thanks to Google site search for helping me find the article again.

Since they are moving I thought I’d look up an old issue of Television magazine from June 1964 which featured on the architecture and challenges of building a studio. There are two pages attached one is more in-depth about construction and the second shows the traffic flow (the main entrance, ramp, and a glass cornered lobby). It’s pretty interesting it details that there are three TV studios - the largest is 60’ x 40’ and can cold 230 audience members. Studios 2 and 3 are 1800 sq ft. I’m not sure what studio was cannibalized for their newsroom.

[ATTACH=full]6620[/ATTACH][/Quote]

The largest of the studios was the one converted to the newsroom...

Is this cornered glass area the same spot they occasionally do sit down interviews at?

[ATTACH=full]6621[/ATTACH]

Yep that is now the interview set. It ironically served as the station's lobby (as stated in the article) then in the 70s became the station's newsroom and that was the case until the late 90s when they moved the newsroom to its present location. It went for the most part unused (save for the stand up shots they did up against the windows with OTS style graphics superimposed till c.2006 when they rebuilt the space for The 10! Show. After The 10! Show was cancelled and they refreshed the current news set (which took away its interview area), they started conducting interviews and recording NBC 10 @Issue from there.

The online live stream started showing color bars and playing a tone at around 11am today. I re-searched "NBC10 Live stream" and clicked the link and it was working again. If today is the day and the next newscast is at CTC, then I'd venture to say the master control switch took place at 11am. I watch through the stream often and I've never seen color bars.

20181021_111328.thumb.jpg.ba3ac0deba2f03e31f28aefc381ba716.jpg

The online live stream started showing color bars and playing a tone at around 11am today. I re-searched "NBC10 Live stream" and clicked the link and it was working again. If today is the day and the next newscast is at CTC, then I'd venture to say the master control switch took place at 11am. I watch through the stream often and I've never seen color bars.

Right now they’re feeding NASCAR.

It's...fine? It seems like there isn't a ton of stuff on a rather large footprint, and all that space is emphasized even more by the light colored floor.

Bingo. That's my issue with the set. It seems rather... sparse. The configuration also makes it seem a little small, even though it's reportedly around the same size as the old studio.

I was much more impressed with WPVI's set, honestly. That one seems huge, feels warm, and had a lot of cool areas and effects that were utilized. (I'm still amazed that they managed to use LED screens for literally everything in the studio).

Maybe it'll look more interesting at 11. Who knows. But I'm a little underwhelmed.

One more thing... I was really hoping for a somewhat more significant branding refresh. The revised logo is... okay - that kerning continues to bug the hell out of me - but I was hoping they'd take the opportunity to refresh the music to Tower v5 or something. Don't get me wrong, I like LA Groove! But I'd also like to see some sort of a music change. I think it's the incredibly out of place bumper from the 360 pack combined with every other cut from LA Groove that bugs me.

I do get that they probably didn't want to change too much, though. If those periodic ratings leaks are any indication, what they're doing now is clearly working for them. We know they got a demo win at 11, apparently they are very competitive in the morning, and at least in SOME demographic they're beating 6 at 4 (that 20 minute A block has to be working for them). WPVI doesn't seem as unassailable as they used to be and I think a lot of that has to do with what 10 is doing.

I think they are going to show us that they plan to heavily utilize other areas of their space in the building for stand ups. I'm waiting to see their interview set in particular.

I wonder if that interview set that was the first studio to leak will be used in any way. It's too nice to just be used internally.

I wouldn't go by what little we saw in the 6PM. I got the feeling that was just a soft launch of the new studios just by the fact there wasn't a grand tour and they were saving that for the 11PM. Makes sense since they TV's #1 rated program (SNF) as a lead-in.

From what I understand based on hints dropped by various talent, the interview area as well as some stand up locations utilize CTC's big windows so hopefully we'll get to see that tonight.

This wooded area overlooking the newsroom looks to be where an interview set would go:

E5BB0F03-003E-4F22-A3CB-CA7733E2FA31.jpeg.a5b36eb6208fd3048d059078930ca447.jpeg

It’s similarl to the Telemundo one.

A438C113-7C8F-4538-8398-696272F74EF1.jpeg.be33037f632942b554d8246f3b4f2f28.jpeg

NBC seems to have gone with the sparren open space look with their new builds - KNBC and KNSD come to mind. I imagine it will allow much more flexibility.

Archived