Comcast Technology Center, NBC 10, Telemundo 62 New Studios (Possible First Photo)

rkolsen

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any indication of when the move happens? I know it’s coming up fairly soon. I look forward to the new set. Wish they’d get new gfx though. (Or, honestly, bring the old ones back).

Any indication of when the move happens? I know it’s coming up fairly soon. I look forward to the new set. Wish they’d get new gfx though. (Or, honestly, bring the old ones back).

Agreed. Maybe bring back an updated for HD open for what I feel was a great look and sound for NBC10.

— Matt

It's looking like September. Comcast employees have been moving in for the past month now. You figure production rehearsals usually last about 2 weeks on average but this will probably take a little longer since there's new production equipment involved. I'd venture to guess they're shooting for debuting with the start of the Fall Season.

As far as graphics go, I don't think Look N is going anywhere. They just started using the standard Look N weather presentation about a month ago, WWSI just launched the refreshed Telemundo O&O when they launched their new dayside newscasts earlier this summer. Best you can hope for is a refresh. Part of me wants them to bring back the NBC O&O theme from 360 Music full time but I know that's wishful thinking.

...you know what I just realized? The Eagles play the opening NFL game next Thursday. Given how much 10 plays up their relationship with the team, you gotta think that’s a target they’d be shooting for.

...you know what I just realized? The Eagles play the opening NFL game next Thursday. Given how much 10 plays up their relationship with the team, you gotta think that’s a target they’d be shooting for.

I think you might be on to something there...

Not liking this because of the Eagles relationship with NBC10 ... awful team. But yes. You may be onto something here.

— Matt

[QUOTE="Sam Horn, post: 217564, member: 393"]@WCAUTVNBC10 are they hiding the transmitter in the chimney? Please tell me they're hiding the transmitter in the chimney.[/QUOTE] I'm pretty sure all transmission is going to be fiber based and anything over the air will be received/transmitted from Roxborough.

I'm pretty sure all transmission is going to be fiber based and anything over the air will be received/transmitted from Roxborough.

Lol no I know, I'm just making fun of this shiny new building that has a fkn chimney on top.

upload_2018-8-27_14-23-3.png.52f6015094d4328e809101e5d6bfc3f2.png

[MEDIA=instagram]BmwHJ-XB8mz[/MEDIA]

In the comments, Jim confirms that they're moving after Labor Day so Sep. 6 seems to be a real target date. If it's not the 6th, then it has to be at least in the first two weeks of September.

Jumping on this because the last time a station here changed their look we had 10 pages of discussion in the main thread that had to be weeded out. So here we go.

Put all discussion of the new look WCAU in here.

I doubt it will happen in the middle of the week. Often, these kinds of moves come with equipment needing to be moved over as well. For example, if they bought new weather computers two years ago, there's no chance that they're going to blow money on new ones and throw out the two-year-old ones. The best time to do a move like this is the weekend. Cancel a morning and afternoon show and start moving equipment the second the news ends Friday night. EDIT: Moved these posts into @HulkieD's thread. Thanks for realizing this needed its own thread!

[quote name='Weeters']I doubt it will happen in the middle of the week. Often, these kinds of moves come with equipment needing to be moved over as well. For example, if they bought new weather computers two years ago, there's no chance that they're going to blow money on new ones and throw out the two-year-old ones. The best time to do a move like this is the weekend. Cancel a morning and afternoon show and start moving equipment the second the news ends Friday night. EDIT: Moved these posts into @HulkieD's thread. Thanks for realizing this needed its own thread![/QUOTE] If I’m not mistaken they have six or seven engines for weather. Could some be moved before hand to maintain continuity or perhaps install newer boxes with the “AR” tracking while leaving the others for general maps and slides? Can’t a lot of the slide portions could be done with one computer and one computer designated for the radar? Of course if they were moving and wanted excellent continuity they could move the WWSI weather computers over first for the morning show and then hope the main ones for CAU are up and running 18 hours later.

I doubt it will happen in the middle of the week. Often, these kinds of moves come with equipment needing to be moved over as well. For example, if they bought new weather computers two years ago, there's no chance that they're going to blow money on new ones and throw out the two-year-old ones. The best time to do a move like this is the weekend. Cancel a morning and afternoon show and start moving equipment the second the news ends Friday night.

I wouldn't be surprised if they got new weather computers within the last month since they all of a sudden moved to the standard Look N weather graphics instead of the customized stuff they were using prior.

I personally wouldn't be surprised if they moved midweek, honestly, and that's for two reasons. We had KYW's move to its new facility timed to the NCAA Championship game (though that was a Monday), and that involved an HD switch on top of that. Secondly, the station likes to make big splashes. Premiering the set right after the Eagles season opener, which they will air, seems very much like a move they would make. Maybe I'm wrong, and it probably is a better idea to move on the weekend, but I just get that gut feeling.

Also, I just noticed something... do they have "#CountOnIt" on their damn MOUSEPADS?

i wonder what will happen to their old studio?

It’s old, decrepit and the newsroom is in a windowless old studio. I’d venture they’d burn it down after gutting and auctioning anything usable. Unless of course they want to turn it into a production facility.

It's worth mentioning the WCAU building is the first building in America constructed specifically for broadcasting. A lot of history there. It is my understanding that Lower Merion township is in the process of putting a historic designation on the building, whose facade is a classic modernist design. The designation, which may be put on the building next month, would mean that it would be tough, if not impossible for the building to be demolished, depending on the level of designation it receives.

It's worth mentioning the WCAU building is the first building in America constructed specifically for broadcasting. A lot of history there. It is my understanding that Lower Merion township is in the process of putting a historic designation on the building, whose facade is a classic modernist design. The designation, which may be put on the building next month, would mean that it would be tough, if not impossible for the building to be demolished, depending on the level of designation it receives.

I’m not familiar but some cities make it difficult to renovate the insides unless they are renovating it to the original floor plans. Perhaps if they can’t sell it or redevelop it it could be rented out for events and production.

I messaged two employees and no response.

It's worth mentioning the WCAU building is the first building in America constructed specifically for broadcasting.

It was the first building dedicated solely to television broadcasting exclusively.

As awful as it is, historical designations (especially local ones) don't mean a whole lot.

Also thanks @Weeters for splitting the topic. When I did the original post I meant it as a “throw away” type akin to one in Out and About. You beat me to it when it came to splitting when I saw it generated more posts.

Archived