Hurricane Florence

GoldenShine9

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard much of the WNCT simulcast on WTIB while getting squared away in Hertford.

All clear in northeastern NC (had small branches blown off trees and what I'll call "nuisance" rain; but nothing worse than that). Was out of town with my family in Santee, SC last weekend; and probably would have been forced to evacuate had that stay ended later than Monday morning.

Looks like Sinclair finally got WCTI back on the air. Just the main channel, no subs. And not WYDO yet. Looks like they’re broadcasting live from downtown New Bern from a truck.

The live stream on its website, OTOH, is still being sourced from WPDE. So, it appears that they haven't set up a way to stream WCTI's coverage on its website just yet.

I agree that the mets should have left with everyone else.

I’m a bit dumbfounded that they have not found a way back on air. They have two channels - WCTI 12 and WYDO 14 - and last time I checked neither were even broadcasting a signal. Maybe their generator at the tx failed. Both come from the same site.

Beyond that, it seems like Sinclair could have done better than simulcasting news from Myrtle Beach. WPDE did not talk about ENC much at all. I expected to see WCYB’s meteorologists doing weather for our area and getting sent out WCTI’s tx.

like hell "everyone else" left... the whiny talent wanted to get out before their hair got too wet and the social media people wanted out before they dropped their iphone in a puddle... surely some engineers and technicians were still there too... to tell the meteorologists when it wasn't safe to stick around any longer...

you can't abandon a television station to a couple of people who's technical skills are "make the weather computer do pretty graphics"...

The live stream on its website, OTOH, is still being sourced from WPDE. So, it appears that they haven't set up a way to stream WCTI's coverage on its website just yet.

They haven't switched out streams let.

The WCTI Stream is Listed under "National Event Stream 1" on their website.

They really didn't plan contingencies for studio flooding... they are literally using 1 camera, 1 Microphone under a Tent.

They haven't switched out streams let.

The WCTI Stream is Listed under "National Event Stream 1" on their website.

They really didn't plan contingencies for studio flooding... they are literally using 1 camera, 1 Microphone under a Tent.

So that Sinclair truck I posted the other day may be down there...

So how are they running the graphics?

Through another station likely, unless the truck they have had a CG.

It's probably being routed through another station like TEGNA did with KHOU for a while.

I think you are right .

The main sign? The fact they are using the current Sinclair Graphics package. Prior to the storm, WCTI had not adopted that package, still using the graphics package from when they were owned by Bonten.

Also, the reason that the station is going on, and off the air is to conserve fuel to the generator at their transmitter, as on their web-only broadcast they made a request for diesel fuel to be sent to their transmission facilities.

WECT’s Chelsea Donovan went live from the looting of a Wilmington Family Dollar store (in the middle of the ‘hood)

http://m.wect.com/story/39097792/watch-looters-raid-family-dollar-as-management-asks-police-to-pull-back

Store management asked WPD to not intervene. It’s quickly become a hot and controversial topic locally.

Reading about these back up contingencies makes me wonder if it’s normal for there to be a STL from the back up? I was on the FCC database and WBAL has one from MPT (I mentioned this before).

The STL has only been active since 2008 http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=2980223

WWAY is trying to assuage the college football fans it seems; they're carrying the games but interrupting when tornado warnings occur (as they should). Thankfully CBS is all repeats and the CW is a wasteland on Saturday nights, so the coverage continues without issue there.

WECT keeps writing tornado warnings on a dry-erase board. Not sure why.

Probably to keep other graphic channels free; plus so many counties under various warnings, it would take forever for a map graphic to scroll through them all (I imagine the NOAA radios just keep going off if the SAME codes aren't finessed right).

I guess that makes sense, but their entire viewing area (which isn't that big to begin with) is under a flood warning, so it wouldn't be terribly cluttered if they add tornado polygons as well. They have been anchoring from their newsroom for most of today, too.

WECT keeps writing tornado warnings on a dry-erase board. Not sure why.

Probably to keep other graphic channels free; plus so many counties under various warnings, it would take forever for a map graphic to scroll through them all (I imagine the NOAA radios just keep going off if the SAME codes aren't finessed right).

Okay, is the whiteboard on camera or behind them in the weather center?

Don’t know why they can’t run a crawl saying what’s under a warning. Something simple “The following counties are under a flood warning...”.

How do they normally handle weather alerts. It could be a simple list on one line, more detail on another like Hearst

I’m watching WECT now. Looks like they moved the set desk into the news room. The set must be a mess.

Not sure why they made this move... it was definitely sometime in the afternoon, as they were still on the desk midday today (Saturday). The weather center is still being used. The newsroom is directly across the way from the studio - it's pretty open between the studio and the newsroom.

The damaged area is what they were using as sleeping quarters, in the older part of the building according to Gannon Medwick.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=2356926867657645

Okay, is the whiteboard on camera or behind them in the weather center?

Don’t know why they can’t run a crawl saying what’s under a warning. Something simple “The following counties are under a flood warning...”.

How do they normally handle weather alerts.

It looks like this. I've never seen them use the whiteboard before.

One of the times I tuned in, they mentioned they are doing Tornado Warnings old school b/c the station lost the capacity to do closed captioning.

What station are you talking of? They could carry on. The FCC would likely make an exception given storm damage could have happened to their phone lines to the captioner, the encoding equipment or trouble receiving the data from the captioning.

Using CC to go off air is a cheap excuse likely hiding more significant problems or need to get a break.

They're using the whiteboard because they recognize that, even if they could get leniency on captioning not being available, it's imperative that the information be presented visually as well.

This CommLawBlog piece does a good job of explaining the accessibility requirements for stations in light of an emergency. Notably:

For persons who are deaf or hard of hearing, the Commission requires that emergency information provided in the audio portion of a broadcast also be presented visually, through methods including captioning, crawls or scrolls that do not block any emergency information provided through other visual means (like other captions or crawls).

The FCC suggests, but does not require, that stations make emergency information available through multiple means (maps, charts, and other visual information) and in plain language, so that all viewers can understand the nature of any emergency.

Archived