WPTV on temp set

AdamTheJ

Hmmm, I’ll bet this means the NBC affiliate in West Palm Beach, FL is on the brink of getting a new set. Now, I wonder if this means Scripps Finally gets a new graphics package. I say they will because when the current Scripps graphics debuted the same day as the set they used, on 7/27/2012, after the opening ceremony at the London Olympics.

WPTV and WFLX share a studio. NBC overlooks the newsroom on one side of the studio, FOX is on the other. WPTV has been on the WFLX side as of today, but has still been using the dual monitors in the weather center ( WPTV side) . Surprised they haven't set up shop in B down the hall. Don't expect a big update set wise, if at all.

Don't expect a big update set wise, if at all.

Why do you think this? Their current getup is nothing more than a refresh of their newsroom look from like, over a decade ago, and that refresh is 6 years old now. WPTV is well overdo for something actually new.

Don’t think a new look will be coming soon. They just converted their current package to VizRT engines which was a significant undertaking. It will probably be another year or two.

Can you explain this undertaking? I've never really understood the VizRT and other graphic engines stuff. Also, not to beat a dead horse, if they actually do wait another 2 years, that will make this package 8 years old. Yikes. It's aged gracefully, but it's at a point where I think you don't realize how old and stale something was until you get something new to replace it.

Why do you think this? Their current getup is nothing more than a refresh of their newsroom look from like, over a decade ago, and that refresh is 6 years old now. WPTV is well overdo for something actually new.

I speculate that because they are still in the studio. If it was a major update, i'm sure they would move down the way to Studio B as they did before the Winter Olympics of 2012.

Personal Comment

I would love for them to get a new look to stay fresh in the market. WPBF has an amazing newsroom set and has recently installed 3 monitor walls. WPEC is on a nice temp set now while preparing for a new one

Can you explain this undertaking? I've never really understood the VizRT and other graphic engines stuff. Also, not to beat a dead horse, if they actually do wait another 2 years, that will make this package 8 years old. Yikes. It's aged gracefully, but it's at a point where I think you don't realize how old and stale something was until you get something new to replace it.

To put it in simple terms it’s like they had to translate the package from English to Norwegian (where VizRT is located). VizRT is a highly complex system and using a computer example it would be like going from Mac OS to Unix. The original package was designed for Chyron and converting all the animations, recoding it so it would be compatible, getting it to work with automation takes a lot of time, effort and money.

From what I’ve read that despite VizRT being a top of the line graphics system it is incredibly difficult for graphic designers to transition to. It has a whole different method of thinking and most of the manuals (which are available online) are translated from Norwegian likely by someone with no technical background.

• 2 weeks later...
New Set guts newsroom view

If I’m not mistaken, is this a “refreshed” set instead of a brand new set. It just most of the elements look the same and seems like they just added to monitor wall behind the anchor desk ( CBS O&O design).

If I’m not mistaken, is this a “refreshed” set instead of a brand new set. It just most of the elements look the same and seems like they just added to monitor wall behind the anchor desk ( CBS O&O design).

Correct, the desk and weather center are unchanged, however the standing desk and interview area have been removed

To put it in simple terms it’s like they had to translate the package from English to Norwegian (where VizRT is located). VizRT is a highly complex system and using a computer example it would be like going from Mac OS to Unix. The original package was designed for Chyron and converting all the animations, recoding it so it would be compatible, getting it to work with automation takes a lot of time, effort and money.

From what I’ve read that despite VizRT being a top of the line graphics system it is incredibly difficult for graphic designers to transition to. It has a whole different method of thinking and most of the manuals (which are available online) are translated from Norwegian likely by someone with no technical background.

First and foremost, VizRT is a complicated, real-time 3D rendering engine (VizRT means Vizualization in Real Time) while Chyron has historically been a software suite where you import pre-rendered images and movie files (like from After Effects) and simply insert and animate text on top of them. Every graphic generated by VizRT is actually a 3D scene with an XYZ axis. No matter how flat they look, there's actual depth to the graphics, with different elements in front of and behind others. If you put everything at the same depth, the graphics will actually mess up and things won't display correctly.

Essentially, how this conversion went is VizRT had to take the master files from the Scripps graphics package, break them down into basic components (for example the white and blue bars on the lower third and the silver box outline would each be it's own entirely separate image file), then re-assemble them in VizRT, taking care to reanimate them to match the Chyron look.

It wasn't easy and it was expensive. Whenever they get around to updating the graphics, I have a good feeling it's going to be flat and colorful, like Tegna, and everyone on here is going to hate it, like Tegna.

New Set guts newsroom view

I never realized how large WPTV's studio actually is. It's such a striking contrast between toset monitor walls and that old stale thing WFLX has. I'll also never get over that bizarre wallpaper with the Scripps logo. The new getup is clearly an upgrade, but there are so many clashing very new/very old elements.

First and foremost, VizRT is a complicated, real-time 3D rendering engine (VizRT means Vizualization in Real Time) while Chyron has historically been a software suite where you import pre-rendered images and movie files (like from After Effects) and simply insert and animate text on top of them. Every graphic generated by VizRT is actually a 3D scene with an XYZ axis. No matter how flat they look, there's actual depth to the graphics, with different elements in front of and behind others. If you put everything at the same depth, the graphics will actually mess up and things won't display correctly.

Essentially, how this conversion went is VizRT had to take the master files from the Scripps graphics package, break them down into basic components (for example the white and blue bars on the lower third and the silver box outline would each be it's own entirely separate image file), then re-assemble them in VizRT, taking care to reanimate them to match the Chyron look.

It wasn't easy and it was expensive. Whenever they get around to updating the graphics, I have a good feeling it's going to be flat and colorful, like Tegna, and everyone on here is going to hate it, like Tegna.

So I guess now my question is...why is everyone switching to VizRT? What makes them so special, and is Chyron on the way out?

So I guess now my question is...why is everyone switching to VizRT? What makes them so special, and is Chyron on the way out?

From what I understand the Journal Stations were using them or just got them. The systems are very expensive (like the Rolls Royce of graphics) and maybe Scripps didn’t want to throw them to the curb if they’re new. I’m sure if they wanted to they could have redone their graphics for the system and supported both. (There are many station groups with multiple types of CGs - Sinclair and CBS for one.) I’m speculating here their existing fleet of first generation HD character generators are aging out or reached the end of service live (where the manufacturer won’t even consider it) and saw what it could do with the Journal stations and decided to go with them group wide rather than running multiple systems.

NBC News, BBC News, Fox News all use VizRT in day to day use and powers their election coverage. Locally some CBS Owned Stations and all Hearst Stations use VizRT.

To make a long story short:

• All the legacy station's Chyron gear was old and due for replacement (some as old or older as the first hubbed package in 2009)
  • Much of the Journal Viz infrastructure was still relatively new (Journal didn't even start buying Viz until 2009, and had upgraded and invested in new hardware in the following years).
  • Viz tends to be a cheaper investment than Chyron (VizRT mainly uses off-the-shelf HP Workstation desktops and video cards while Chyron uses OEM/custom servers.)
  • It was cheaper to buy all the legacy stations new Viz systems and upgrade the Journal stations as needed than to buy everyone new Chyron equipment.

Archived