The Tribune Saga, Part 3: New Sale Talks

mre29

KWGN has been a millstone ever since KDVR took over.

I find it really disappointing that KDVR is the one to take over KWGN when KWGN had a news department for years while KDVR just got one back in 2000 and KWGN is the longer established of the two in general. You'd think that KWGN would be the one over KDVR. I guess that's just how the cookie crumbled.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it really disappointing that KDVR is the one to take over KWGN when KWGN had a news department for years while KDVR just got one back in 2000 and KWGN is the longer established of the two in general. You'd think that KWGN would be the one over KDVR. I guess that's just how the cookie crumbled.

Yeah, but let's not forget that KWGN used to be located where KDVR sits now. That was 550 Lincoln Street, which is now 100 Speer Boulevard.

And that was before 1980, when KWGN moved from 550 Lincoln Street to 6160 Wabash Way in Englewood.

And WAAAAY before 2009, when CW2 moved back downtown, and moved in with FOX31 29 years later, and they share the building to this day.

And certainly before July 2013, when CW2's longtime owner Tribune bought KDVR, and it made FOX31 sister station side by side with longtime station property CW2.

Therefore CW2 is still FIRST over FOX31.

You're forgetting that Tribune, for all intents and purposes, handed control of both KWGN and KPLR to LocalTV right as the 2008 Great Recession began. And of course the two former Fox O&Os would take priority, no matter which station was longer established (to wit, the KPLR building wound up housing both KPLR and KTVI only because KTVI's old studios were in an aging building in a less desirable part of STL).

It wasn't just Atlanta and Boston Tribune foolishly left prematurely, it was Denver and St. Louis as well. Problem was, they had to buy all of LocalTV to get back in those latter two markets.

You're forgetting that Tribune, for all intents and purposes, handed control of both KWGN and KPLR to LocalTV right as the 2008 Great Recession began. And of course the two former Fox O&Os would take priority, no matter which station was longer established (to wit, the KPLR building wound up housing both KPLR and KTVI only because KTVI's old studios were in an aging building in a less desirable part of STL).

It wasn't just Atlanta and Boston Tribune foolishly left prematurely, it was Denver and St. Louis as well. Problem was, they had to buy all of LocalTV to get back in those latter two markets.

I don't think the sale of WATL was that foolish. Tribune tried to get some traction there but the post-9/11 downturn derailed things there badly because, IIRC, Tribune was in the process at setting up a news department there which evaporated into thin air. Had Tribune held onto them to this day, they would be mentioned alongside the KDAF/KIAH/WDCW/WSFL bunch, perhaps with a 10:00 news produced out of WHNT or WREG after the Local TV merger came in. Of the three 2006 sales, that was probably the best outcome given how then-WEWB was a foolish buy.

I'll stand by my hot take that if Tribune held onto WLVI, they would be in that same pool of misfit stations. At least for them they would've been better off having access to the group power that Tribune has in terms of programming than being a third wheel for Sunbeam, acquired solely out of ego.

I'll stand by my hot take that if Tribune held onto WLVI, they would be in that same pool of misfit stations. At least for them they would've been better off having access to the group power that Tribune has in terms of programming than being a third wheel for Sunbeam, acquired solely out of ego.

Perhaps, but I think it's quite likely that if the sale to Sunbeam had never occurred, WLVI would have become the NBC station for Boston. Either as an affiliate under Tribune ownership or sold to the network, it would have become a much more valuable property and would still have its own spectrum.

Perhaps, but I think it's quite likely that if the sale to Sunbeam had never occurred, WLVI would have become the NBC station for Boston. Either as an affiliate under Tribune ownership or sold to the network, it would have become a much more valuable property and would still have its own spectrum.

There was the little problem of that they were locked into a ten-year contract with The CW and those contracts were near ironclad. Had WSBK have become CW from the outset, I would have been a lot more inclined to buy the idea of NBC going after WLVI but it was pretty bold of a move for Tribune to saddle WLVI with that then put it on the market.

Boston was a strong market for both UPN and The WB and I'm sure that there was some horse trading behind closed doors between CBS, Warner Bros, and Tribune before everything was announced. As the fate of WSBK was secure regardless of how they sided, it makes me wonder what Tribune's thought process was given the circumstances. Not getting CW was reason enough to back out of Atlanta while getting it in Albany made it easier to cash out, however nothing in Boston seems to fit.

Weren't they on the same contract as the other Tribune CW stations? CBS could have taken the affiliation back in 2016 if they were.

They were and there's still no one that's said that they've renewed it. WLVI may be running programming without a network contract if that's the case and if they are, I'm surprised it hasn't already moved over.

If Sinclair would have went on with it's purchase of Tribune, I firmly expected CBS to take back the affiliation in all of the Tribune/CBS+ overlapping markets. As for Miami, it's only a matter of time before WBFS is the CW station there.

(to wit, the KPLR building wound up housing both KPLR and KTVI only because KTVI's old studios were in an aging building in a less desirable part of STL).

an MB dealer is now at that site

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6294557,-90.2871184,3a,75y,15.46h,94.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suwNihMfqvon-9g4XBnbH6Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

As for 120 jobs being lost: did it really take 52 people in Houston to do Newsfix? I always saw it as something the local high school could do using PowerPoint...

Just sayin’...

J

I don't know who will ultimately end up with the Tribune Broadcasting stations, but who ever does needs to heavily re-invest in WPIX (in my opinion). Not a fan of the graphics or the new music from OSI, and they need to add morning news on the weekends. Also, get rid of news director Amy Waldman--she has contributed nothing to the station's news department. When Chris Wayland took over as general manager, I thought he would bring in his own person to oversee news. WPIX has made some strides, don't get me wrong. They have the potential to be even better. I'm just not seeing that right now.

Where the hell have you been? The music is an update from Non-stop (WPIX V.2). Also the graphics are from Tribune Creative. It's the creative hub.

[MEDIA=vimeo]237344105[/MEDIA]

They were and there's still no one that's said that they've renewed it. WLVI may be running programming without a network contract if that's the case and if they are, I'm surprised it hasn't already moved over.

If Sinclair would have went on with it's purchase of Tribune, I firmly expected CBS to take back the affiliation in all of the Tribune/CBS+ overlapping markets. As for Miami, it's only a matter of time before WBFS is the CW station there.

If there has been an extension, it is not mentioned in the FCC contract list which has not been updated for WLVI since 2013.

How do you get to the contract lists anyway? Just curious?

There is typically a folder under the Additional Documents subheader, under Ownership Reports in the FCC public file.

Stations must at minimum have a list of pertinent contracts and agreements. Some post the actual contracts, redacted. This is how in the past we've had discussions about local news requirements imposed by ABC, ways to terminate a CW affiliation agreement, clauses that allow the networks to stop the transfer of an affiliation cold in certain and super-rare circumstances, and the length of Sunbelt's extraordinary 17-year tie-up with NBC.

Is CBS having issues in Boston I haven't heard about?

I wasn’t saying that, just that there has to be a reason why the CW hasn’t left WLVI, and it is not because CBS holds the network in a low regard... if they could move it to WSBK, they would ASAP. Had Fox been able to buy WSFL, CBS would have automatically moved the CW to WBFS and hold a CBS/CW duop in Miami.

There has to be some specific reason why it’s still on WLVI. Keeping a network affiliation in a top 10 market for over two years without an active contract? Ridiculous. There has to be more to the story here.

There has to be some specific reason why it’s still on WLVI. Keeping a network affiliation in a top 10 market for over two years without an active contract? Ridiculous. There has to be more to the story here.

Les’s big thing was always refrains revenue. It’s entirely possible CBS is making more money collecting off of Ansin than moving the CW on TV 38.

Archived