The Tribune Saga, Part 3: New Sale Talks

mre29

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just my honest opinion..I think WPHL will probably keep at least a morning newscast but probably won't go full scale if the deal with WPVI makes smart economics for them.

In terms of KIAH..I kind of doubt that 39 can do full scale again. When they had a 9 o'clock news they were getting hammered by KRIV. That is why I wonder who is KIAH going to get to be the face of the department. I also wonder if Steve Simon is still going to be with Tribune since he was still an employee. If Tribune goes NewsFix 2.0 for KIAH than its just going to be a disappointment. To me, that is the questionable bit.

And I don't necessarily think that KDAF's news department is necessarily dead as of the latest announcement. Its been dead for a while, and that Tribune corporate has been handling Morning Dose and all that.

Also, Roly..since I havent been in SFL in a while..are they discontinuing WSFL's NewsFix? Or still keeping that going and are actually going to make it local and not using Houston's version with Dave Ainzer filling in some stories.

The sad thing is, KIAH had some talented veterans in the 1st gen of news, but Tribune underfunded and under promoted and mistakenly blown up after they Zell took over and finally expanded a half hour while it could've build on what they had, but get more aggressive promotion and budget-wise. KRIV was, and still is to a point vulnerable and CW has built some cache in recent years, but Tribune has dropped the ball on every opportunity, and it might be too late to rebuild. WGNO is about the same, although still have experienced talent like Sprang and Rosegen) KDAF on the other hand was DOA from the get go due to how strong KDFW was and is.

It perplexes me why WPHL isn't willing to turn their 7-9AM over to PVI for an extended AM Action News, given the success that partnership's had at 10PM. Over time, I've suspected it's not something 6 wants to do as it would mean their morning anchors are on for, starting Monday, five straight hours.

I don't say that to poo-poo the current PHL 17 Morning News - again, A for Effort, and clearly doing well enough that Trib's elected to expand it instead of cut it. But when you have Action News fronting at night, I just can't see how you'd want to put your own news on instead, knowing full well it won't be nearly as competitive. They would have done it by now otherwise.

Hell, PHL had a full news department and its own 10PM news once -- and at the time it was pretty good! I just don't think they need to go that far unless they think keeping the political dollars all to themselves is that important.

On another note: NewsFix had to be doing pretty dire numbers in DAL and HOU for them to pull the plug. It is not expensive to do a show like that.

7-9am news is reserved for actual duopolies.

I've heard that KDVR/KWGN are a mess right now--old equipment (field cameras, mics, news vehicles) the sooner Tribune sells it's self the better. I was in SLC 3 weeks ago and KSTU has graphics that look like there over 10 years old, that station needs help graphics & music wise.

On another note: NewsFix had to be doing pretty dire numbers in DAL and HOU for them to pull the plug. It is not expensive to do a show like that.

IIRR, Uncle Barky's blog has had postings referring to some ratings for KDAF's news (current iteration or previous, I'm not sure) as 'hashmarks', basically not even enough audience to register.

WWBT/WRLH says hi. The news agreement that won't die, even as WWBT has had it's own (quasi) sister for a decade.

Soon to be full-blooded. I bet WTVR felt so played when they lost WUPV. WWBT still manages to give WUPV a 4:30 newscast. I wonder if they allow WUPV to run the newscast if WRLH has sports overruns?

I've heard that KDVR/KWGN are a mess right now--old equipment (field cameras, mics, news vehicles) the sooner Tribune sells it's self the better. I was in SLC 3 weeks ago and KSTU has graphics that look like there over 10 years old, that station needs help graphics & music wise.

What's sad is that KSTU just refreshed those graphics recently.... I'm utterly shocked they haven't gotten the Tribune Fox package

That's like KFOR havin pretty much the same stuff for about 20 years, up until they moved into the new building last year some of KFOR's equipment they were using in the old building was the same equpment they recieved after the New York Times tookover the station (or shortly before that) but with that said there is no reason why KAUT's 9pm newscast should still be at 30 minutes and only be seen 5 days a week, you're not going to beat KOKH that way. Tribune and others that own stations in OKC needs to start investing in their stations better than what they're doing now

Soon to be full-blooded. I bet WTVR felt so played when they lost WUPV. WWBT still manages to give WUPV a 4:30 newscast. I wonder if they allow WUPV to run the newscast if WRLH has sports overruns?

Its amazing, huh? WWBT gives its own station a 4:30pm newscast but nothing more while serving WRLH with 7am and 10pm news because of the agreement. When will WRLH quit it and either agree to have WTVR or WRIC do news for them or just be sold to Standard Media so that WRLH can go on its own?

What's sad is that KSTU just refreshed those graphics recently.... I'm utterly shocked they haven't gotten the Tribune Fox package

I'm surprised more of the ex-Local TV stations got the Tribune Fox package, to be frank...

Its amazing, huh? WWBT gives its own station a 4:30pm newscast but nothing more while serving WRLH with 7am and 10pm news because of the agreement. When will WRLH quit it and either agree to have WTVR or WRIC do news for them or just be sold to Standard Media so that WRLH can go on its own?

If you're going to have a duopoly partner this is a very simple rule that all station groups should take note of:

Utilize the resources you have and apply it to the junior partner, don't waste it

KFVS does the same thing. They'd rather give KBSI a newscast than put one on their CW-affiliated duopoly partner. But that's not the worst thing that has happened to that station.

That's like KFOR havin pretty much the same stuff for about 20 years, up until they moved into the new building last year some of KFOR's equipment they were using in the old building was the same equpment they recieved after the New York Times tookover the station (or shortly before that) but with that said there is no reason why KAUT's 9pm newscast should still be at 30 minutes and only be seen 5 days a week, you're not going to beat KOKH that way. Tribune and others that own stations in OKC needs to start investing in their stations better than what they're doing now

KAUT's newscasts at 9pm are only 30 minutes because there needs to be time to prepare for the 10pm. Pre-news is done live on KFOR and that time changes every night. Second, KAUT has already beaten KOKH in the past.

KAUT's newscasts at 9pm are only 30 minutes because there needs to be time to prepare for the 10pm. Pre-news is done live on KFOR and that time changes every night. Second, KAUT has already beaten KOKH in the past.

Not if they have different anchors. Which Tribune is trying to hire an anchor that would take over from Joleen Chaney on the 9pm. Besides, KFOR has already stated in the past that they would consider expanding the 9pm newscast to an hour.

Which they beat KOKH by having different anchors, they beat KOKH in the morning because of that very reason. Different anchors.

If KFOR can go back to that formula (solo anchored, 2 anchors, however, they wanna do it) they might beat KOKH again

So what... KOKH does 90 minutes from 9:00-10:35pm. KOTV does an hour at 9:00pm on KQCW followed by 10:00pm on KOTV.

And your saying its only 30 minutes because you need 30 minutes to prepare for the 10:00pm? Some stations don't even have that option because they're already doing 90 straight minutes of news, even if its not on the same station.

So what... KOKH does 90 minutes from 9:00-10:35pm. KOTV does an hour at 9:00pm on KQCW followed by 10:00pm on KOTV.

And your saying its only 30 minutes because you need 30 minutes to prepare for the 10:00pm? Some stations don't even have that option because they're already doing 90 straight minutes of news, even if its not on the same station.

If this were the case, KFOR wouldn't have a 4:30 pm show. And a lot of stations wouldn't be doing hour long primetime newscasts.

Their management is clueless and over their heads. I know this via first-hand experience. They do not know what they are doing.

Putting market size and price aside for a moment, not all Tribune stations are equal and neither are all potential buyers. Some Tribune stations are very turn-key, including KTLA, WGN and KFOR. New owners have to do little more than write the check and change the name on the license.

But other Tribune stations need to be completely rebuilt inside and out. Dallas, Philadelphia, Miami, New Orleans and some others are virtual operational and physical disasters. Those stations need owners who are prepared to pony-up the management expertise and dollars to make them worth the investment. Not all potential owners will have that desire or ability. If a purchaser isn’t able or willing to make substantial investments in these stations, then they are no improvement. In fact, in taking on new debt with no desire to build long-term value, they might be worse.

Stations like KDAF, KIAH, etc are pretty non-valuable for any prospective company and do little more than eat up an outsize amount of cap space in relation to what they're worth, IMO.

Stations like KDAF, KIAH, etc are pretty non-valuable for any prospective company and do little more than eat up an outsize amount of cap space in relation to what they're worth, IMO.

[blong-blong]I know the ideal company [clap-clap] that should buy those stations with no cap hit or other damages. [Ooh-ooh]

Archived