Sen. John McCain's funeral coverage

ColDayNews

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/heres-how-tv-news-is-covering-sen-john-mccains-memorial-services/375505

ABC:

ABC News announced special coverage of Sen. John McCain’s private memorial service and ceremonies on Saturday, September 1 beginning at 9 a.m. ET on ABC.

Chief anchor George Stephanopoulos will anchor coverage of McCain’s memorial service from the Washington National Cathedral.

Stephanopoulos will be joined by ABC World News Tonight anchor David Muir, who recently took a trip to Vietnam to honor the senator.

There will be on-location reporting from chief White House correspondent Jonathan Karl, chief foreign correspondent Terry Moran, senior White House correspondent Cecilia Vega, correspondent Ron Claiborne, political analyst Cokie Roberts, and special correspondent Matthew Dowd.

Chief global affairs correspondent Martha Raddatz will report from the Vietnam Veterans Memorial where McCain’s family will pay respects and wife Cindy McCain will lay a wreath.

CBS:

CBS News’ special coverage of the memorial on Saturday, Sept. 1 will be led by Face the Nation anchor Margaret Brennan, CBS This Morning co-host John Dickerson and CBS News contributor Bob Schieffer. CBS News correspondents Nancy Cordes, Ed O’Keefe and Chip Reid will provide on-the-ground coverage in Arizona and Washington. This will be simulcast on CBSN. Newspath will offer a clean feed of events for stations who wish to do local coverage.

Fox Broadcast:

Sister network Fox News Channel will produce the network's coverage, anchored by Bret Baier and Martha MacCallum, FNC's lead political anchors. This coverage is level-2 for stations who wish to carry it - clean feeds of events will be offered via Fox NewsEdge, the network's affiliate service as well, with reports from Garrett Tenney, Doug Luzader, Lauren Blanchard and Joel Waldman.

NBC:

Chuck Todd will lead NBC’s coverage on Saturday, the day of the service, beginning at 9 a.m. ET.

Lester Holt will anchor a special edition of Nightly News on Saturday, September 1. O’Donnell will join reporting on the day’s events. Chris Matthews will anchor MSNBC’s coverage of the service, beginning Saturday at 8:30 a.m. ET. Andrea Mitchell and Hallie Jackson will join him.

Football fans will be livid if funeral coverage on ABC and/or FOX runs past noon

If they run late, football can always be shunted to a subchannel or even a cable sister network.

I imagine ABC and Fox will offer a separate uplink with the game for stations who either want to leave the coverage altogether or run the games on subchannels. If not, ABC can always shunt their game to ESPN or ESPN2... Fox can shunt the game to one of its co-owned cablers... I've seen Fox shunt sports to FX, FBN, and FNC as overflow.

However, if there's significant local interest in the noon game... for example Oregon - Ohio State ... I'm sure there will be an opportunity for ABC affiliates to bow out at noon to carry it, especially KATU and WSYX - where there is significant local interest. I just checked my Spectrum guide earlier and WSYX still has Buckeye Football Fever scheduled for 11:00 a.m. on Saturday.

If they run late, football can always be shunted to a subchannel or even a cable sister network.

I imagine ABC and Fox will offer a separate uplink with the game for stations who either want to leave the coverage altogether or run the games on subchannels. If not, ABC can always shunt their game to ESPN or ESPN2... Fox can shunt the game to one of its co-owned cablers... I've seen Fox shunt sports to FX, FBN, and FNC as overflow.

However, if there's significant local interest in the noon game... for example Oregon - Ohio State ... I'm sure there will be an opportunity for ABC affiliates to bow out at noon to carry it, especially KATU and WSYX - where there is significant local interest. I just checked my Spectrum guide earlier and WSYX still has Buckeye Football Fever scheduled for 11:00 a.m. on Saturday.

I guarantee you ABC and FOX will leave coverage for football at noon. Also, you must not be a college football fan. ESPN and ESPN2 have games of their own, as does FS1. FNC (and possibly FBN) will likely also be covering the memorial service and would not be an option.

I guarantee you ABC and FOX will leave coverage for football at noon. Also, you must not be a college football fan. ESPN and ESPN2 have games of their own, as does FS1. FNC (and possibly FBN) will likely also be covering the memorial service and would not be an option.

i would expect both networks to leave memorial coverage at noon to avoid the inevitable complaints from viewers about missing football

Anyone else somewhat shocked that Jeff Glor isn’t mentioned in CBS’s coverage?

Not really. Lester is only anchoring NN and David is playing a secondary role to George. Maybe things would be different if it wasn’t on a Saturday. I would only consider this a small missed opportunity for Jeff, but hardly anything worth noting.

Anyone know why NBC 26 in Green Bay WI is not showing this?? Is this optional for NBC Stations? Is all 4 Milwaukee Stations covering this?(I'm in the Green Bay Area for the holiday weekend)

Likely for the most obvious reason; E/I accommodation and not wanting to ruin their schedule with TMYN stuff all over the place tomorrow. There's a house-flipper ballroom seminar buying out every empty time slot in the market for their infomercial, especially tomorrow morning, so they don't want to be pre-empted.

Likely for the most obvious reason; E/I accommodation and not wanting to ruin their schedule with TMYN stuff all over the place tomorrow. There's a house-flipper ballroom seminar buying out every empty time slot in the market for their infomercial, especially tomorrow morning, so they don't want to be pre-empted.

This is why E/I needs to be done away with or have an exception for preemption caused by breaking news coverage

Like a school shooting?

We may want to rethink that one.

Yup i

(because we all know it would happen.)

I get your point, but maybe certain things should be covered? I think Prince Harry's wedding was over by 9 but was that manitory? What if Pres. Carter passed instead of McCain, would that override E/I?

Archived