CNN: The Continuing Soap Opera

Eat News

Ana Cabera will be anchoring from 1-2 PM ET starting in April.

The new weekday lineup starting in April will likely be as follows (times in ET):

5-6 AM: Early Start

6-9 AM: New Day w/ John Berman + Brianna Keilar

9-11 AM: Poppy Harlow + Jim Sciutto

11-Noon: Kate Bolduan

12-1 PM: Inside Politics

1-2 PM: Ana Cabera

2-4 PM: Victor Blackwell + Alisyn Camerota

4-6 PM: The Lead

6-7 PM: The Situation Room

7-8 PM: Erin Burnett Outfront

8-9 PM: Anderson Cooper 360

9-10 PM: Cuomo Prime Time

10-Midnight: CNN Tonight

26 minutes ago, ddaniels20 said:

Ana Cabera will be anchoring from 1-2 PM ET starting in April.

The new weekday lineup starting in April will likely be as follows (times in ET):

5-6 AM: Early Start

6-9 AM: New Day w/ John Berman + Brianna Keilar

9-11 AM: Poppy Harlow + Jim Sciutto

11-Noon: Kate Bolduan

12-1 PM: Inside Politics

1-2 PM: Ana Cabera

2-4 PM: Victor Blackwell + Alisyn Camerota

4-6 PM: The Lead

6-7 PM: The Situation Room

7-8 PM: Erin Burnett Outfront

8-9 PM: Anderson Cooper 360

9-10 PM: Cuomo Prime Time

10-Midnight: CNN Tonight

Jim Acosta moves to weekends from 3 to 6. I wouldn’t be surprised if he takes over for Wolf Blitzer when he retires. 

59 minutes ago, Liugrad2020 said:

Jim Acosta moves to weekends from 3 to 6. I wouldn’t be surprised if he takes over for Wolf Blitzer when he retires. 

Really? He was just demoted from the C WH job, and given a weekend anchor shift as a consolation to save face. Jake is being groomed to replace wolf. 

1 hour ago, newsman123 said:

Really? He was just demoted from the C WH job, and given a weekend anchor shift as a consolation to save face. Jake is being groomed to replace wolf. 

Is that a demotion? He’s now an anchor. Jake already is an established weekday anchor. I expect him, Jim and Anderson to be the main anchors for the 2024 election coverage.

3 hours ago, newsman123 said:

I don't think it's a demotion; it's probably a promotion.  He retains a significant title as chief domestic correspondent, and is given a show to anchor. 

He was a WH correspondent for eight years and Chief for three.  It's not a job people hold (or want) forever, especially as they get older.  It involves long hours and lots of travel. 

Now, he gets to do a lot of his work while sitting behind a desk.

Edited by mountainave
  • Like 2

Going back to the Zucker exit conversation for a moment, I think it goes without saying that his influence isn't going anywhere any time soon when it comes to the top.

"Zucker lieutenant is a top candidate to replace him at CNN’s helm" (Dylan Byers, NBC News)

Allison Gollust, a CNN executive and top lieutenant to Jeff Zucker, has emerged as the leading internal candidate to take over the network if Zucker steps down as president, two people at CNN familiar with the matter say.

48 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Going back to the Zucker exit conversation for a moment, I think it goes without saying that his influence isn't going anywhere any time soon when it comes to the top.

"Zucker lieutenant is a top candidate to replace him at CNN’s helm" (Dylan Byers, NBC News)

So in other words, CNN will be pretty much be the same with Zucker's strategies still in place.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This isn't really a lineup-related thing (well...it could be someday), but I thought this was a pretty significant grab for CNN:

She had a very prominent role with CBS so I did not expect this (I'm also just OOTL about her relationship with CBS these past few months).

Weijia and Ed have a larger role at the WH today and there's less upward room at CBS so I guess this was the best fit for her. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

This isn't really a lineup-related thing (well...it could be someday), but I thought this was a pretty significant grab for CNN:

She had a very prominent role with CBS so I did not expect this (I'm also just OOTL about her relationship with CBS these past few months).

Weijia and Ed have a larger role at the WH today and there's less upward room at CBS so I guess this was the best fit for her. 

Paula Reid was terrific covering the Trump White House for CBS; this is a great get for CNN!

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/28/2021 at 12:19 AM, Roadrunner said:

Was surprised by this, too.  She was one of the best (read: newsmaking) White House correspondents in the last year; certainly at CBS.  CBS's loss; CNN's gain.  

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/paula-reid-cnn-legal-affairs-cbs-news-1234938932/

• 3 weeks later...

Another White House reporter (who also had a tumultuous relationship with the previous administration) reportedly heads to CNN as a correspondent, according to Deadline and The HillKristin Fisher, who finished her last live shot on Fox News last Friday. Whatever we think of CNN, it's incredible that their budget continues to allow them to poach talent, especially during these times.

• 2 months later...

According to a Fox News article (obviously CNN isn’t their favorite) New Day ratings are struggling to hit 500K viewers. Yahoo & the Wrap confirm this as well. Yahoo reports that Morning Joe pulls averages 903K, Fox & Friends 1.1M. Both Fox & Yahoo are blaming the anchor shuffling at New Day, especially after Brianna Keiler began anchoring.

Personally, New Day and CNN in general are too politically charged. Morning Joe isn’t much better, it’s single subject focus on Trump and the right are obsessive and repetitive. Fox & Friends, not my favorite either,  of course has theirs specific audience. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/cnns-day-hits-7-ratings-175702525.html

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

Cuomo now under indefinite suspension. This year, the 23rd falls on a Thursday, leaving it or Christmas Eve perfect for an inevitable firing via news dump.

He needs to go, along with Jeff Zucker and Brian Stelter - who really stuck his neck out for Chris, especially with the whole "many people here understand why he (Chris) did what he did, plus his office is several floors above the newsroom...".as if location of someones office would prevent them from controlling/interfering with coverage. And who could forget "if we open up the journalism ethics book, there's no rule for this" (referring to Chris not covering Andrews accusations). Can't wait to hear what Zucker's fiction writers come up with for Brian to say Sunday and somehow defend all of this making Chris look good.

I hope Jake Tapper takes over the time slot, if not him maybe an external hire would be best.

Clearly CNN needs new leadership and some cleaning. 

Edited by jrogo
  • Like 5

• 24994J changed the title to CNN: The Continuing Soap Opera