CNN: The Continuing Soap Opera

Eat News

On 2/8/2022 at 11:26 PM, froyo49 said:

Because an increasing number of people, including myself, don't want to spend upwards of $60 a month on a bundle of channels. It's the same reason I prefer watching NBC News Now free on YouTube than MSNBC on expensive cable television. 

I still remember when they did offer regular CNN( and HLN without a cable subscription, when they had Pipeline and it offered a different news-centric broadcast and CNN breaking news when required. Still a pity that service went down.

Honestly, I'd be happy to just pay for CNN at $7/month (if they fix the worst of Zucker's obnoxiousness)...I don't want a watered-down news product. But I honestly still find value in a cable subscription on the TV side, where I don't even have to think about remembering a password/username combo to watch a live event.

18 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Honestly, I'd be happy to just pay for CNN at $7/month (if they fix the worst of Zucker's obnoxiousness)...I don't want a watered-down news product. But I honestly still find value in a cable subscription on the TV side, where I don't even have to think about remembering a password/username combo to watch a live event.

That's what a password manager is for. 🙂

(Though entering a password pinball-style using a Roku remote sucks.)

Edited by mre29

• 2 weeks later...

Licht is an excellent choice. He made CBS This Morning a legit news program worth watching and improved Late Show with Stephen Colbert into a must-watch and genuinely funny late-night talk show. When his tenure goes into effect, I'll definitely watch CNN regularly again.

Edited by Action Newsroom
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

As if we needed more reasons to loathe Jeff Zucker and what he's done to two networks, as well as our society and daily lives, Rolling Stone pretty much confirms it all, and then some...

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/jeff-zucker-cnn-resign-affair-cuomo-trump-1319698/

It's just my opinion, but this man should never be entrusted with anything, or anyone, ever again.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jrogo said:

Jason Kilar to leave WarnerMedia this Friday, his last major decision was firing Jeff Zucker & Allison Gollust and then hiring Chris Licht to lead CNN.

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/warnermedia-ceo-jason-kilar-to-leave-company-ahead-of-its-merger-with-discovery/504692/

That's more like two or three decisions, but either way, he's ending strong.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish CNN would go back it’s Roots in Atlanta and back to the hard news format that made it a household name. When CNN moved majority of its shows to NY that was the beginning of the decline. 

It’s probably wishful thinking, But I would love to hear Live from “The CNN World Headquarters in Atlanta” 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, abric said:

Hopefully CNN can go back to some more credible, hard news journalism that has been 'zucked up' in the past few years.

It’s going to be an uphill battle on two fronts.

First, ratings. Many of us (myself included) wish CNN could transform into its 1990s self and just do the darn news instead of running whatever hyper-partisan narcissism they ran under Zucker. I’d also like to see long-form reporting/documentaries on “investigations or far flung human dramas.” However, straight news and in-depth reporting don’t make for high viewership on a rolling news channel, and documentaries are more expensive to produce than shows where pundits rant into a camera. There’s a harsh reason why every cable news channel (including the zombie that is NewsNation) ends up as some variation of Fox News instead of France 24: many Americans (regardless of party/belief) would rather be coddled to instead of seeing politicians questioned rigorously.

Second, reputation. Over the past decade or so, CNN has become known for catering to Northeastern middle/upper-class liberals. That image has become especially problematic under Zucker, and it won’t be easy to erase. CNN would have to completely overhaul opinion programming and clearly separate it from the news division before it even begins to shed Zucker’s influence.

Here’s hoping Licht & Co. pull it all off, but there is a long road ahead.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

First, ratings. Many of us (myself included) wish CNN could transform into its 1990s self and just do the darn news instead of running whatever hyper-partisan narcissism they ran under Zucker. I’d also like to see long-form reporting/documentaries on “investigations or far flung human dramas.” However, straight news and in-depth reporting don’t make for high viewership on a rolling news channel, and documentaries are more expensive to produce than shows where pundits rant into a camera. There’s a harsh reason why every cable news channel (including the zombie that is NewsNation) ends up as some variation of Fox News instead of France 24: many Americans (regardless of party/belief) would rather be coddled to instead of seeing politicians questioned rigorously.

Second, reputation. Over the past decade or so, CNN has become known for catering to Northeastern middle/upper-class liberals. That image has become especially problematic under Zucker, and it won’t be easy to erase. CNN would have to completely overhaul opinion programming and clearly separate it from the news division before it even begins to shed Zucker’s influence.

It makes me wonder what will happen to certain personalities who are opinionated like Jim Acosta or Don Lemon or Brian Stelter?

On 5/18/2022 at 9:29 PM, nycnewsjunkie said:

I wish networks industry wide could just take a stand and make all content hard factual news, so audiences have little option but to consume it. But I guess that won't happen so here we are...

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 2/9/2022 at 1:26 PM, froyo49 said:

Because an increasing number of people, including myself, don't want to spend upwards of $60 a month on a bundle of channels. It's the same reason I prefer watching NBC News Now free on YouTube than MSNBC on expensive cable television. 

Hell, we could watch MSNBC for free on YouTube too! If video killed the radio star, YouTube killed video. What does cable MSNBC or Fox News and CNN provide that their YouTube channels don’t already have besides ads for boomer medication and overpriced novelty gifts?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

I only agree with breaking news if it's truly recent, not something from hours or a day ago.

Not trying to go too off-topic but on NBC Nightly News, every story until the first commercial break is breaking news. It's a decent newscast overall, but come on! 

• Like 1

• 24994J changed the title to CNN: The Continuing Soap Opera