CNN: The Continuing Soap Opera

Eat News

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

As Hawk Harrelson would say...'he gone!'

I’m actually shocked, I would’ve bet they’d find a way to keep him. Let’s hope the firing trend continues and cleans up a few more messes. 

It will be interesting to see what the full investigation finds and who it names…

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

Constant focus on Biden and the left, I take it?

Indeed. On the flip side I cant take CNN and MSNBC's obsessive focus on Trump and the right either. I thought it would die down after he left office but MSNBC especially is still laser focused on the ramifications of the January 6th rihots.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This could be interesting, Don Lemon may have played a role in altering Jussie Smollett he was going to be arrested. I know this is coming from the NYP and other more right wing outlets but this is serious grounds for termination if true. CNN needs to investigate and if these claims are found to be true ACNN needs to fire him. Who knows, maybe we’ll be getting 3 new hours of programing on CNN. 

https://nypost.com/2021/12/07/don-lemon-did-not-mention-own-role-in-jussie-smollett-trial/amp/

1 hour ago, jrogo said:

This could be interesting, Don Lemon may have played a role in altering Jussie Smollett he was going to be arrested. I know this is coming from the NYP and other more right wing outlets but this is serious grounds for termination if true. CNN needs to investigate and if these claims are found to be true ACNN needs to fire him. Who knows, maybe we’ll be getting 3 new hours of programing on CNN. 

https://nypost.com/2021/12/07/don-lemon-did-not-mention-own-role-in-jussie-smollett-trial/amp/

As I expected, the CNN that Trump helped build is quietly falling apart....

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, hmaxhanson said:

As I expected, the CNN that Trump helped build is quietly falling apart....

And Trump was the only thing going for NBC in the Zucker era (The Apprentice) as he was running them into the ground, and right before the Jay Leno disaster, he even quipped that NBC may never be #1 in primetime again.

Both of them deserve a special place in hell for what they have done.  Zucker fueled his ego to the point, well, we know the rest of the story.....

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

I miss Larry King Live. If CNN had a LKL type a show with newsmakers, celebs, and take phone calls like LK done over the years, they would've gotten out

of the ratings slump. It's just my opinion

Agreed. Larry was the face of CNN for decades. Why not put a show similar to it in the 9 PM hour? It would be different than what FOX and MSNBC do in that timeslot and CNN pretty much rehashes the same headlines with a different anchor every hour.  

I could see Katie Couric in a Larry King type of role in the 9pm hour. I could also see Bill Weir take over the 10pm hour with a Nightline type of show. And a news wrap up show at 11pm, kind of like they had with Aaron Brown. 

9pm: Katie Couric Tonight/Live

10pm: Lateline with Bill Weir

11pm: Newsnight with Aaron Brown

• Like 1

I had been rooting for Jake Tapper, but he stated in the latest Vanity Fair report he's uninterested because he wants to be with his family at that hour and prefers straight anchoring rather than pundit moderation.

Can't blame him on that; I prefer just a straight news rundown show without any pundits in primetime, but that isn't happening in this environment.

I wouldn't mind seeing the whole primetime lineup retuned, but nothing on the left-moderate side of the spectrum is really winning ratings under the current administration (and vice versa whenever the time comes). In the current politicized environment, I don't think anything like LKL would succeed on a channel like CNN either anymore. I don't think anyone has the patience to sit down for hour-long interviews anymore unless they're once in a blue moon (see: Oprah's), social media has essentially amplified almost all secrets that exist and will also scrutinize everything, and podcasts have kind of taken over the type of deep-diving we used to see on TV.

Assuming nothing really changes about the style of primetime programming, I think CNN could put Laura Coates up in the 9PM hour and she'd fit right in, actually. I'm curious about if they'd do anything with Don (re: above), if they'll end up doing anything else with Smerconish, and if they'll do anything unexpected with their slew of new hires over this past year.

18 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

I could see Katie Couric in a Larry King type of role in the 9pm hour. I could also see Bill Weir take over the 10pm hour with a Nightline type of show. And a news wrap up show at 11pm, kind of like they had with Aaron Brown. 

9pm: Katie Couric Tonight/Live

10pm: Lateline with Bill Weir

11pm: Newsnight with Aaron Brown

Wouldn't mind this at all. So longs as the agenda pushing is absent or kept at a minimum and politics aren't the only focus. I really wish we could get more international coverage from the American networks here in the states, especially on these 24/7 cable channels.

16 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

I still got money on BW replacing Norah on the CBS Evening News.

Forgiving that stain on his career, this wouldn't be half bad at all. CBS needs outside talent for a big name lead anchor.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, mountainave said:

They tried that with Katie Couric.  Didn't work.

That's fair.  I will say in Couric's case though she was better suited for morning television, plus she tried a softer approach than hard news the program was known for. Williams who actually hosted the top evening newscast might move the needle a bit. 

• Like 1

Here's something to ponder: If Chris Cuomo had been promoted from newsreader to co-anchor of GMA when Diane Sawyer took over WNT (and he was passed over in favor of George), then all three of the major networks would have ultimately lost their morning show male co-anchors to sexual harassment complaints.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mountainave said:

Here's something to ponder: If Chris Cuomo had been promoted from newsreader to co-anchor of GMA when Diane Sawyer took over WNT (and he was passed over in favor of George), then all three of the major networks would have ultimately lost their morning show male co-anchors to sexual harassment complaints.  

Crap, that gives you pause doesn't it? ABC dodged a major bullet.

Chris Wallace is leaving Fox News for the new streaming service CNN+. About time. I will say Chris was one of the more balanced hosts at FNC -- along with Shepard Smith -- as they weren't afraid to diverge from the network narrative. I was surprised to find out he was an NBC and ABC news anchor in the past upon looking at old news clips online, and I liked what I saw.

As for CNN+, I get that screaming is the new wave but IMO CNN needs to improve their actual tv network. Furthermore how long will this era of streaming services overkill last?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/12/12/media/chris-wallace-leaving-fox-news/index.html

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

• 24994J changed the title to CNN: The Continuing Soap Opera