CNN: The Continuing Soap Opera

Eat News

52 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

In terms of strictly news coverage, Fox News in my opinion has for several years had a much more solid offering than CNN. Bret Baier, Bill Hemmer and Shep Smith are among some of the best broadcast journalists anywhere.

Yes... but where have you been?

• 1 month later...

CNN is still on television, color me shocked! First time tuning to their channel in the past little while, and it's so refreshing to see such objective, non-biased reporting in their chyrons. (rolls eyes)

Doesn't matter what your politics are, if you care anything about this business, you should realize how bad this looks towards the profession. Report without bias first, ask questions later, and share opinions late at night. 

2015826991_ScreenShot2020-04-13at4_33_50PM.thumb.png.fc03877d5ac17dfa0cf1fd35d3f359e5.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

27 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Embarrassing. Immature. Unprofessional.

1 hour ago, n925tv said:

CNN is still on television, color me shocked! First time tuning to their channel in the past little while, and it's so refreshing to see such objective, non-biased reporting in their chyrons. (rolls eyes)

Doesn't matter what your politics are, if you care anything about this business, you should realize how bad this looks towards the profession. Report without bias first, ask questions later, and share opinions late at night. 

2015826991_ScreenShot2020-04-13at4_33_50PM.thumb.png.fc03877d5ac17dfa0cf1fd35d3f359e5.png

I'm no fan of Trump, but this is extremely unprofessional. I've never seen any other news outlet do something about this during any of his conferences. They didn't even remotely hide their bias. CNN needs new leadership.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, n925tv said:

It seems from those shots that CNN is as bad as Fox News!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I hate to say this, but this image of what protestors/rioters did to the CNN center in Atlanta (and this logo) sums up exactly what Jeff Zucker has done to this network, and how his recklessness has helped this country get to where it is today.

Viewer discretion is advised (scroll down to see it, so if you're easily offended, this is your warning to click away now)

(scroll down if you wish to see it....naughty language ahead....)

Image may contain: outdoor

• Like 3

could not believe when I was watching scene in yesterday and the news anchor called Trump a dictator what a joke that's why I hate seeing and anymore all I do is talk crap about Trump I am not a trump supporter I just can't stand seeing and being so one-sided they are the joke

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I watch CNN via the Apple-TV App for the last couple of months - Is it so hard to change a commercial every once in a while - Their Bill Weir ('I never seen anything like it) and the CNN World ('We're only getting started) are driving me nuts

On 6/2/2020 at 7:50 PM, Roddd111 said:

could not believe when I was watching scene in yesterday and the news anchor called Trump a dictator what a joke that's why I hate seeing and anymore all I do is talk crap about Trump I am not a trump supporter I just can't stand seeing and being so one-sided they are the joke

No matter your politics, imagine seeing one subject dominate a 24/7 News Network day in and day out. Are there not hundreds of countries in the world from which we can gather interesting stories to air on a Non-Stop News Network ( this goes for Fox and MSNBC as well). Its sad how far modern tv news has spiraled.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 3

On 7/9/2020 at 12:27 PM, iron_lion said:

No matter your politics, imagine seeing one subject dominate a 24/7 News Network day in and day out. Are there not hundreds of countries in the world from which we can gather interesting stories to air on a Non-Stop News Network ( this goes for Fox and MSNBC as well). Its sad how far modern tv news has spiraled.

I always say the same thing myself. We have over 200 countries in this world and CNN just feels the need to focus on the same story or person for a long time. All the other big stories are on CNN International, which unfortunately, isn't easily available in the U.S.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I always say the same thing myself. We have over 200 countries in this world and CNN just feels the need to focus on the same story or person for a long time. All the other big stories are on CNN International, which unfortunately, isn't easily available in the U.S.

The problem is that this is the largest story of our lifetimes. Its effects are being felt universally. There are other stories, yes. But no one event has had this much global reach. Not even world wars, in many ways.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Samantha said:

The problem is that this is the largest story of our lifetimes. Its effects are being felt universally. There are other stories, yes. But no one event has had this much global reach. Not even world wars, in many ways.

I don't have a problem with the pandemic coverage as its big everywhere. I was talking about the constant Trump coverage beforehand and Malaysian Airlines flight 370, which they talked for days on end 6 years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Samantha said:

58 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I don't have a problem with the pandemic coverage as its big everywhere. I was talking about the constant Trump coverage beforehand and Malaysian Airlines flight 370, which they talked for days on end 6 years ago. 

As Newsjunkie 24 said, I'm referring to Trump and yes MH-370 as well. COVID is justifiable.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was in an academic seminar from The Information where Marcus Marby from CNN digital was the guest speaker. A sentiment I hear echoed constantly across academia from the newer generation, is that objectivity serves no one and should be abandoned. I fear that hyper partisanship may further become the norm. There is a definitely a place for clearly defined subjective commentary but it's 'mixy' to present partisan opinion as fact.

While I agree that flat-out calling out the truth is important, I hope the idea that that journalists should try to minimize their personal biases in reporting isn't lost. This especially so that the public can get raw clean information to then create their own well informed personal opinions.

Edited by iron_lion

5 hours ago, iron_lion said:

While I agree that flat-out calling out the truth is important, I hope the idea that that journalists should try to minimize their personal biases in reporting isn't lost. This especially so that the public can get raw clean information to then create their own well informed personal opinions.

This is why I’m hoping News Nation (WGN America) is successful. Having an unbiased news source (which they plan to be) is key in shifting thing towards unbiased news coverage overall. 

Granted, this is wishful thinking, but hopefully, things won’t get any worse than they already are.

Edited by jase
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, iron_lion said:

I was in an academic seminar from The Information where Marcus Marby from CNN digital was the guest speaker. A sentiment I hear echoed constantly across academia from the newer generation, is that objectivity serves no one and should be abandoned. I fear that hyper partisanship may further become the norm. There is a definitely a place for clearly defined subjective commentary but it's 'mixy' to present partisan opinion as fact.

What we have now was the old standard prior to World War 2. The “Just the facts ma’am” thing came along after that and I have the feeling like most things of that era it was an offshoot of the war in some way. Maybe the controlling of information by the government during the war. At any rate much is made of losing “objectivity” despite that being a short lived anomaly...

16 hours ago, jase said:

This is why I’m hoping News Nation (WGN America) is successful. Having an unbiased news source (which they plan to be) is key in shifting thing towards unbiased news coverage overall. 

Granted, this is wishful thinking, but hopefully, things won’t get any worse than they already are.

In fairness, if News Nation stumbles out of the gate, given all they've invested into the operation and the current operating climate in general, there's no guarantee they don't "pivot" to the current cable news style others employ.

53 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

In fairness, if News Nation stumbles out of the gate, given all they've invested into the operation and the current operating climate in general, there's no guarantee they don't "pivot" to the current cable news style others employ.

I don’t think they will abandon their commitment to being an unbiased news source if they’re not a success year 1, 5, 10, etc.. Plus, yours, mine and their standard of ‘success’ is no doubt very different.

As far as investment, it isn’t as great as it may seem. WGN America already exists along with a reach of 75 mil. and the Nexstar stations will carry most of the workload. In essence, operationally, it’s just taking on a additional station and building upon what’s already there for Nexstar.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The New York Times had an article about Zucker's fallout with Trump. AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson decided to keep him in 2018. People in the business gave two theories on why the network's so obsessed with Trump. One theory is that Zucker just wants anything outrageous for ratings. The 2nd theory is that he's just wanting to take him down.  It does mention that Zucker's never been a hard news person, and only cares about ratings, corporate success and trying to win. A former NBC exec said that Zucker's quench for ratings blinded him to the point of nonstop coverage. He said it's one thing if you have a thirst for ratings but it's entirely different for news. ABC exec Ben Sherwood on the other hand basically defended him talks about how he's a great man. I prefer the former's statement over the latter.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

The New York Times had an article about Zucker's fallout with Trump. AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson decided to keep him in 2018. People in the business gave two theories on why the network's so obsessed with Trump. One theory is that Zucker just wants anything outrageous for ratings. The 2nd theory is that he's just wanting to take him down.  It does mention that Zucker's never been a hard news person, and only cares about ratings, corporate success and trying to win. A former NBC exec said that Zucker's quench for ratings blinded him to the point of nonstop coverage. He said it's one thing if you have a thirst for ratings but it's entirely different for news. ABC exec Ben Sherwood on the other hand basically defended him talks about how he's a great man. I prefer the former's statement over the latter.

Either way, there is blood on Jeff Zucker's hands.  Trump aside, he still nearly destroyed NBCUniversal during his tenure.

• Like 2

• 24994J changed the title to CNN: The Continuing Soap Opera