CNN: The Continuing Soap Opera

Eat News

On 6/27/2023 at 2:06 PM, Horizon said:

Give it a few weeks, as I think that source said. The changes started yesterday, and they're slowly going back to the old one. I think they're recreating it from scratch, or finding the files to help do it from. 

Well, I guess it's been 2 to 3 weeks since the rumored reverting to the old CNN look. I guess it's safe to say I was wrong, and so was the original "source" who spark my thinking.

My apologies.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Horizon said:

Well, I guess it's been 2 to 3 weeks since the rumored reverting to the old CNN look. I guess it's safe to say I was wrong, and so was the original "source" who spark my thinking.

My apologies.

Now watch them switch to the old look tomorrow 😂

But no worries, you owned up to it.

I saw a follow-up (forget where) that said there were some parts of the updated look they planned to keep. I think the biggest thing was getting the heavier font weights back. 

Still think they should do more two line chryons, that narrow squished look is horrible, no matter who does it. 

• Like 4

I don't like how they insert a name below the headline since the update a few weeks ago. On the old look, the headline would move up and the name would show up below. Now with the revised new look, there is a red wipe from left to right to unveil the change. It feels like it's a different slide in a presentation, tricking the eye that the entire banner has changed when it should be more obvious that the headline has just made room for the name. I'm hoping they are still working to adjust this.

I also really dislike the flipper being in all caps.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 7/25/2023 at 3:45 PM, jase said:

The Battle for CNN…

‘Over 18 months, a battle of backstabbing has been raging within CNN that involved Jeff Zucker, David Zaslav and Chris Licht.’

A very interesting piece from Variety. 

I've said it before, but Jeff Zucker should never be entrusted with anything, ever again.

The fact he's trying to have the article retracted is proof he's the Svengali behind the Orange one and all of his illusions and distortions of the truth....

• Like 6

Another one out the door as of this morning: Christine Romans Leaves CNN: ‘Early Start’ Anchor and Correspondent Exits. What a career.

Early Start has totally been tossed aside for years. I wouldn't be surprised if Rahel Solomon got the appointment at the end of the replacement trials and hopefully it comes with some investment into the program.

(But I somehow missed this - another CNBCer being poached by CNN - Kayla Tausche Joins CNN as White House Correspondent).

The article also states Mattingly is one of the leading contenders to join Poppy at CTM. Funny how there was so little movement in CNN's White House department for a while and now it's poised to move around even faster. Anyways, I think I'm feeling kind of neutral on Phil at CTM. I'm ok with his reporting in general and I've seen him on CTM before...he's alright, I guess. I'm envisioning he'll end up being kind of like a Dokoupil if he gets that seat -- the suburban serious but also goofy dad type. Still not a ton of anchoring experience, but it doesn't seem to matter these days.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Another one out the door as of this morning: Christine Romans Leaves CNN: ‘Early Start’ Anchor and Correspondent Exits. What a career.

Early Start has totally been tossed aside for years. I wouldn't be surprised if Rahel Solomon got the appointment at the end of the replacement trials and hopefully it comes with some investment into the program.

(But I somehow missed this - another CNBCer being poached by CNN - Kayla Tausche Joins CNN as White House Correspondent).

The article also states Mattingly is one of the leading contenders to join Poppy at CTM. Funny how there was so little movement in CNN's White House department for a while and now it's poised to move around even faster. Anyways, I think I'm feeling kind of neutral on Phil at CTM. I'm ok with his reporting in general and I've seen him on CTM before...he's alright, I guess. I'm envisioning he'll end up being kind of like a Dokoupil if he gets that seat -- the suburban serious but also goofy dad type. Still not a ton of anchoring experience, but it doesn't seem to matter these days.

I generally agree.  Phil does not come across as the strongest anchor, which in fairness is probably in part because of his lack of experience, and his humor sometimes comes across as over-extended to me, but it's probably his wit and his easiness with Poppy that are keeping him in play for the morning.  I think Victor Blackwell and Erica Hill have been the strongest fill-ins so far.

1 hour ago, mountainave said:

it's probably his wit and his easiness with Poppy that are keeping him in play for the morning

Instead of Dokoupil, I should've invoked John Berman because that's clearly what they're trying to find without literally bringing back John Berman.

1 hour ago, mountainave said:

I think Victor Blackwell and Erica Hill have been the strongest fill-ins so far.

I like them both as well but:

1) I'm sick and tired on Victor's behalf for being dragged around like a ragdoll by CNN. He's very underutilized on weekend mornings, but I don't want him to have to move back to New York again, and I don't want the program to have anchors in different studios. I just think he deserves to be in a place where he feels like he has stability. I'm surprised he's been this loyal with the network at this point.

2) ignore the original response where I kept reading "Erica" as "Abby" -- Erica needs a spot somewhere because why is she being treated as a floater like still...

I was also thinking about slotting Audie Cornish permanently in a spot on CTM, though, besides being just a correspondent. We'll see.

Edited by Roadrunner

I have definitely been enjoying the team of Poppy and Phil. Phil is smart and energetic and works well with Poppy. Sometimes he gets a little too silly or off-topic when making a point, but I think that could be an easy fix. 

I wonder if we'll ever see the studio that was being built for CNN This Morning, and if it'll be saved for the relaunch of the show (or whatever replaces it). 

25 minutes ago, cbs2worksforyou said:

Off the current topic of CNN This Morning but is that Gayle King Charles Barkley show still happening?

Good question. I've been wondering about that, too. Seems like a strange concept that was probably a pet project of Licht's. But contracts have been signed so maybe CNN has to at least give it a try. 

Did they ever say which hour it would take over on Wednesdays? 9? 10?

• 2 weeks later...

Noteworthy programming changes announced at CNN

Kasie Hunt anchors Early Start

Mattingly gets permanent spot at This Morning; no third anchor announced.

PM News Central shortened to two hours

Pamela Brown given PM show

King Charles airing as planned, Wednesdays at 9pm in the fall, as a "limited series"

Abby Phillip and Laura Coates take 10p-midnight slot from Alisyn Camerota 

Blackwell, Wallace, and Amanpour get Saturday AM shows

Manu Raju takes Inside Politics Sunday

image.png.1713e269efc3654d1d37428e18cecbbc.png

image.thumb.png.a6f7001ed40f96439a523db00c1e36d9.png

Edited by mountainave
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Another update to the graphics again as of 9 a.m. Keeping the overall Licht graphics but everything is back to the Zucker placements: Show title, time, and Live.

The lower third no longer has the red transitions, and reporters' names animate in again instead of seeming to appear on "another slide." The CNN logo is back in reporters' titles (instead of just text).

Oh, and the ticker is back. 😕

image.thumb.png.759ddd3af53ea88ebdf85e7a730852d5.png

Regarding the lineup changes: Interesting that Laura Coates finally gets her evening show after it being announced and then taken away. And the return of "NewsNight"! Surprised that Alisyn seems to be lost in the shuffle. Also interesting that women lead four of the five hours from 7 to midnight.

Edited by Geoffrey
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Geoffrey said:

Another update to the graphics again as of 9 a.m. Keeping the overall Licht graphics but everything is back to the Zucker placements: Show title, time, and Live.

The CNN logo is back in reporters' titles (instead of just text).

I do like that they moved the clock and the program title back to the right side. They should have kept the new headline ticker instead of going back to the old scroll.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

The lower third no longer has the red transitions, and reporters' names animate in again instead of seeming to appear on "another slide." The CNN logo is back in reporters' titles (instead of just text).

Regarding the lineup changes: Interesting that Laura Coates finally gets her evening show after it being announced and then taken away. And the return of "NewsNight"! Surprised that Alisyn seems to be lost in the shuffle. Also interesting that women lead four of the five hours from 7 to midnight.

I assume that within the next few weeks, they will be totally back to the pre-Licht graphics?

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, hmaxhanson said:

I assume that within the next few weeks, they will be totally back to the pre-Licht graphics?

I don't see why the would now. With the small update today its basically back to what they had before. Even the transitions for the reporters names is the same minus the black bar. They no longer swipe with each one. The main header squeezes to the top to introduce the name then comes back down like it was before with the black bar.

I like this hybrid of the two styles the most. 

• Like 4

As for when the new primetime starts...

Wolf Blitzer just congratulated Laura Coates on getting the 11:00 slot. He asked her when it starts and she said, "As soon as I can go live!" A few seconds later, after Wolf said that he loves her (it wasn't creepy at all the way he said it, despite how it may come across in my typing!), Laura said, "Wolf loves me! Let's start tonight!" And then Gloria Borger chimed in, "You might!"

It seems that CNN is intending for the new primetime to start tonight (the promo made it seem like the new lineup is effective now) but they're also waiting for news on the former president's likely fourth criminal indictment so perhaps CNN's schedule is in flux tonight. However, Pamela Brown's 3:00 show did not begin today.

Edited by Geoffrey
  • Like 2

Don't like the reduction of the afternoon version of News Central, but at least they didn't cancel it and its morning counterpart. Should have eliminated the ticker all together. There is just too much clutter on the screen imo.

• Like 3