CNN: The Continuing Soap Opera

Eat News

48 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Side note: The fact that the audience was basically full of Trump supporters made this whole thing a near farce. If you ask me, the audience of a town hall should be chocked full of people who are either undecided or solidly against the candidate. If the people aren’t going to scrutinize politicians, then what’s the point of a town hall anyway?

Here's one tidbit that might help explain that:  The college the town hall Trump rally was held at? Final exams start tomorrow. Those students didn't need the kind of disruption this event brought.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

I thought Kaitlan did an excellent job maintaining her composure while fact-checking lies in real time and asking important follow-ups. It was a tough assignment and I feel gross for having watched it, but she probably told some Republicans watching it some facts that they had never before even heard.

And yes, she was the White House reporter for The Daily Caller, but if you watch her, you know she has always been tough and fair on the former guy. She was fresh out of college and got a job there. Don't hold it against her. Look at her work. She's excellent. (Yes, I am a fan.)

This should have been a one-on-one interview rather than a Town Hall. From the clips I saw, it came across as a debate between the two which in turn ended up being a disaster. Without question, this Town Hall likely alienated the few viewers CNN has during primetime and really hurt their reputation much like when 60 Minutes /Leslie Stahl interviewed MTG.

I don't understand this excessive need to offer individuals who are known liars, idiots, etc... a platform in the name of being fair/offering both sides.

And for goodness sake... what is with them always having a thousand and one people offering up analysis?  Couldn't Anderson and maybe two or three people handle things? 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Side note: The fact that the audience was basically full of Trump supporters made this whole thing a near farce. If you ask me, the audience of a town hall should be chocked full of people who are either undecided or solidly against the candidate. If the people aren’t going to scrutinize politicians, then what’s the point of a town hall anyway?

This is a town hall for the Republican primary. CNN said the audience was full of Republican or uncommitted/independent voters. It was not meant to be representative of New Hampshire or America as a whole.  

5 hours ago, jase said:

And for goodness sake... what is with them always having a thousand and one people offering up analysis?  Couldn't Anderson and maybe two or three people handle things?    

These large panels are designed to get many different points of view, instead of hearing the same few people making the same few points.

Edited by Geoffrey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

This is a town hall for the Republican primary. CNN said the audience was full of Republican or uncommitted/independent voters. It was not meant to be representative of New Hampshire or America as a whole.  

These large panels are designed to get many different points of view, instead of hearing the same few people making the same few points.

I don’t think this event warranted having 12+ ‘contributors’ along with CNN anchors/reporters.  

Plus, there should only be one person (whether it’s Anderson, Jake, Wolf, etc…) leading coverage of an event at any given moment.

There is no need consistently jump back and forth between groups of people.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, jase said:

I don’t think this event warranted having 12+ ‘contributors’ along with CNN anchors/reporters.  

Plus, there should only be one person (whether it’s Anderson, Jake, Wolf, etc…) leading coverage of an event at any given moment.

There is no need consistently jump back and forth between groups of people.

Respectfully, this comment makes it sound like you've never watched CNN's election coverage before.  This has been standard operating procedure for them for all large political events for at least a decade.  They have one host (typically Tapper) anchoring a panel of journalists and political analysts, and another host (typically Cooper) anchoring a panel of pundits.  One gives objective analysis while the other gives opinion from the left and right.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, mountainave said:

Respectfully, this comment makes it sound like you've never watched CNN's election coverage before.  This has been standard operating procedure for them for all large political events for at least a decade.  They have one host (typically Tapper) anchoring a panel of journalists and political analysts, and another host (typically Cooper) anchoring a panel of pundits.  One gives objective analysis while the other gives opinion from the left and right.  

Maybe they need to change their standard. It's not necessary to have that many people, imo, in order to offer balanced coverage of a non-election night event. Having a group in NYC (for example) and another in DC creates a weird disconnect. More importantly, neither group pays any attention to the other and often repeats the same points over and over again.

MSNBC has their small core group (lead by Rachel) and, I believe, FNC does the same (a small group lead by Bret & Martha). Their coverage tends to be a lot more concise than CNN. Given their ratings troubles over the past year or so, CNN could stand to do something different.

Lastly, while this isn't exclusive to CNN, pundits and most journalists have no clue of the needs/wants of today's electorate and still base their opinions and the like off of outdated ideologies.    

Edited by jase
  • Sad 1

On 5/11/2023 at 8:35 AM, Geoffrey said:

I honestly do not care. I still maintain that a town hall is pointless if you’re packing the room with a friendly crowd and letting them lob softballs at the candidate under scrutiny. If Joe Biden does a town hall in the future and it’s full of committed supporters in the audience, I will say the exact same thing.

If the only thing preventing this from being a full on political rally is by having Kaitlan Collins awkwardly fact-check in real time in front of a crowd that isn’t going to listen to fact checking, you might as well just broadcast a live rally.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 5

On 5/11/2023 at 12:13 AM, MorningNews said:

CNN deserves to continue failing miserably. They've been on this re-identification thing for 10+ years now and not once have they considered going back to what made them a household name.

Agreed!

On 5/11/2023 at 11:30 PM, jase said:

MSNBC has their small core group (lead by Rachel) and, I believe, FNC does the same (a small group lead by Bret & Martha). Their coverage tends to be a lot more concise than CNN. Given their ratings troubles over the past year or so, CNN could stand to do something different.

Lastly, while this isn't exclusive to CNN, pundits and most journalists have no clue of the needs/wants of today's electorate and still base their opinions and the like off of outdated ideologies.    

From what I've seen MSNBC panels don't usually have balanced opinions. They typically fill their shows with people along the leftist spectrum as to avoid scream television like CNN. MSNBC hosts usually parrott what they think the electorate thinks.

The CNN town hall surprised me. As much as I agree with hosting a Republican Townhall for conservative voters to question their candidates, why would you give airtime to someone who you've devoted to taking down? Furthermore if Trump is pedaling conspiracies, why give him the platform to do so? There's a way to operate from the center without looking like your trying hard to appease a particular side.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

Agreed!

From what I've seen MSNBC panels don't usually have balanced opinions. They typically fill their shows with people along the leftist spectrum as to avoid scream television like CNN. MSNBC hosts usually parrott what they think the electorate thinks.

The CNN town hall surprised me. As much as I agree with hosting a Republican Townhall for conservative voters to question their candidates, why would you give airtime to someone who you've devoted to taking down? Furthermore if Trump is pedaling conspiracies, why give him the platform to do so? There's a way to operate from the center without looking like your trying hard to appease a particular side.

Michael Steele, Tim Miller, and Susan DelPircio are a few of the Republican contributors to MSNBC panels. Don’t forget 6 hours of their weekday schedule are lead by Republicans (Joe/4 and Nicolle/2). 

On 5/13/2023 at 10:16 AM, newscopter7 said:

Michael Steele, Tim Miller, and Susan DelPircio are a few of the Republican contributors to MSNBC panels. Don’t forget 6 hours of their weekday schedule are lead by Republicans (Joe/4 and Nicolle/2). 

True, but Republicans like Joe & Nicole  that are highly critical of their party (which is more palatable to MSNBC's base). 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

True, but Republicans like Joe & Nicole  that are highly critical of their party (which is more palatable to MSNBC's base). 

As it should be... Nothing is gained if you have Republicans always agreeing with Republicans. The same applies for Democrats. Honestly, what’s missing from the majority (if not all) of these 'political panels' are Independent voices. It's those voices that CNN, MSNBC, etc... should include if they truly want to offer viewers balance coverage of issues, people and events.

Edited by jase
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, jase said:

As it should be... Nothing is gained if you have Republicans always agreeing with Republicans. The same applies for Democrats. Honestly, what the majority (if not all) of these 'political panels' are missing is Independent voices. It's those voices that CNN, MSNBC, etc... should include if they truly want to offer viewers balance coverage of issues, people and events.

I agree with your points. I respect that they break party lines--as any reasonable person should. My issue with MSNBC is that alot of the right leaning perspectives I see on the network are those who agree with what the leftist panelists/hosts are saying. That isn't balanced. 

To draw to draw things back to CNN you actually do see guests of opposing views on the network. The issue is that  many of those opposing guests are often inflammatory and start arguments on air.

I suppose News Nation is attempting to pull off that mission. Their execution is questionable however.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 2

This week, Chris Licht will show his programming genius by running the town hall every night in Primetime with Kaitlyn Collins and Anderson Cooper is a box in the corner shaking their heads at anyone who doesn't like it!

Also, new CNN slogan: "Get Lichted"

Edited by mightynine

To be fair, this is Friday night we're talking about. It may not be quite the "death slot" it was just a few years ago, but I'm guessing it's still the weakest of the weeknights for a lot of channels.

Also, I'd kinda like to know the ratings for Thursday -- the night after the Town Hell.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mightynine said:

Fell right back to their normal 3rd place levels. Gained zero momentum from the town hall.

In that case, I don't think the Town Hall of Injustice necessarily had anything to do with Friday's ratings. Something else was going on.

Was Newsmax showing anything notable Friday?

Edited by mre29

4 hours ago, Manny NYC said:

From Warner Bro's upfront here is a look at CNN's new graphics

Yeah, that doesn’t look great. I’d also have to see it in action to have a more informed opinion, but based off of that image…that looks like something one of us would make as a mock-up.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jase said:

I need to see these graphics in action before I can offer up an opinion. Nevertheless, anything is better than what they have now.

It's literally what they have now with added rounded corners.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2