CNN: The Continuing Soap Opera

Eat News

Pretty much the same, and we already had a preview of how they'd fit them in with the hurricanes, but here's the first look at CNN's updated election graphics since they rounded some of the edges. I still don't like the way some things don't line up when the full lower-third banner isn't there.

image.thumb.png.515dda950480c2b719264ae3ac09a30e.png

image.thumb.png.d554c99e50a2fce52cd4adf459799299.png

image.thumb.png.a83fc8c0bbc81d9752724c5724e2349c.png

image.thumb.png.047de806c0070e63d5732564f2b461cd.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

King Charles, a primetime limited series, will premiere on November 29 and will air on Wednesdays at 10pm (the second episode will air an hour earlier).

https://deadline.com/2023/11/charles-barkley-gayle-king-cnn-king-charles-1235629965/

I was just thinking this weekend about making a post here about this: "Wasn't King Charles supposed to start in the fall? We're running out of time."

I'm curious if CNN is still behind this show with Licht gone, or if they're just doing the minimum to fulfill contractual obligations. Interesting that it's now at 10pm instead of the original 9pm.

8 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

I was just thinking this weekend about making a post here about this: "Wasn't King Charles supposed to start in the fall? We're running out of time."

I'm curious if CNN is still behind this show with Licht gone, or if they're just doing the minimum to fulfill contractual obligations. Interesting that it's now at 10pm instead of the original 9pm.

I was thinking about the status of this program myself over the weekend.  It was always set to premiere this fall, but it did feel as if has been taking longer than usual to debut, however.  My guess is that it any delay may have had something to do at least in part due to the change of CEOs at WarnerMedia.

Edited by CraigViewer
  • Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 3:04 AM, CraigViewer said:

I was thinking about the status of this program myself over the weekend.  It was always set to premiere this fall, but it did feel as if has been taking longer than usual to debut, however.  My guess is that it any delay may have had something to do at least in part due to the change of CEOs at WarnerMedia.

CNN delayed its launch in favor of consistent prime-time coverage of the Israel-Hamas war.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The debut of CNN's once-a-week show, King Charles, garnered slightly over half a million viewers: 501,000 total viewers. Not exactly seller numbers out of the gate but it is a tiny improvement over CNN NewsNight's November average of 474,000 viewers. The Daily Beast, citing Nielsen data, said it was, "the lowest-rated primetime weeknight series debut for the network in at least a decade."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/cnn-gayle-king-charles-barkley-premiere-ratings-1235702714/

If you are wondering about the timeslot competition: MSNBC had 1.621 total viewers and FNC had 1.973 total viewers. In my opinion, the strategy of making it a "limited series" could mean 501,000 is their high watermark in terms of ratings. There is no vested interest for viewers to get to know the show because it is going away and producers don't have a lot of time to find the show's rhythm. 

The whole thing seems unfortunate for everyone involved because there was a lot of effort put into launching and promoting this show when the network already has multiple new shows they need to nurture. I never understood how this show fit into Chris Licht's ultimate vision for CNN...the problem was it didn't seem like Chris knew either. Hopefully, it becomes a hit quickly or reaches the limit part of its limited run quickly.   

• Like 3

Fox and MSNBC succeed in primetime because they have well-known or decently developed pundits that command an audience, and are good at marketing side projects like books and podcasts (Maddow, Hannity). Outside of Anderson Cooper, CNN lacks draw factor at night. 

Gayle and Charles were obviously an attempt to bring in well-known personalities, but things look iffy. 

I support Licht's vision of a news first

CNN. If there is to be political commentary however, primetime is definitely the place to confine it. 

I would get a right, left, and independent personality to each have their own show. Pundits with decent social media draws, who aren't spewing misinformation.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Apologizes for the month's bump but I wanted to document some observations. News Central, when debuted, was taking advantage of 19Z's massive space and video walls, a technique I really like and feel is a slow way to introduce more European way of presenting a newscast. However, at least over the past month and a half, maybe (likely ) more, I've watched, and ALL THREE HOURS both Morning and Afternoon were the exact same.

John, Sara, Kate at a standing desk in the back of studio 19Z and they would be stationed there the entire show, with just four shots (one for each presenter and the background behind them and one to see everyone standing at the desk). For the afternoon, Brianna and Boris are sitting at a desk (I'm not sure which studio) and that's it, with the long video wall behind displaying a repeated image of the logo plastered on fake screens. If I just turned on the afternoon edition and seen the desk shot and didn't see any other shot (used only when there is a guest), I would be thinking that was a temporary set! In addition, all headlines, instead of the way both editions debuted, are now simply the topic image or video and the presenter's voice.

I know this will only get "New management is the reason" comments but still, it's almost comical to me how a network can invest so heavily in a new brand, and publicize how much it would be innovative and visually presenting and then within months go back to exactly how "Newsroom". In addition might I add that it's so sad to see the entirety of CNN be summed up with a head in front of a backdrop with the camera just being an inch away from being too close for comfort, it's just so common of a shot for the network, especially primetime and now News Central. How hard would it be to just zoom that camera out a bit, and actually use those million dollar sets then just face+background and zoom out before commercials? And hey if not, with the way the network is wanting to cut costs, why not just forego those sets and they just do what we do for some shots for "Magnet Newsroom", print out a background, anchor stands in front of it, same effect 🤷‍♂️

Edited by ATLNewsExpert
  • Like 5

Funny, I actually just came here to make the same observation that the the AM and PM versions seem to have almost entirely dropped the stand-ups that were meant to define the show in favor of anchors stationed at a desk.  Bit of a shame, in my opinion.  I think Licht was onto something -- the stand-ups did give the show more of an active feel that differentiated it from the rest of the day's desk-based programming.

• Like 6

I've been thinking of making a similar observation here, as I have CNN on in the background while at work, but I'm not watching too closely. I wasn't sure if this was due to the increase in breaking news, mostly Trump legal news and news from Israel. I have noticed occasional standup-type presentations, but it used to be almost everything. I very much dislike the desk setup. It's a boring desk with a very boring background.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Going through the archives, News Central had typical intros and standup segments the week of December 11th. The weeks of December 18th and December 25th have all had desk shots. 

While the PM edition has gravitated towards the desk more often recently, I’d reason that most of this is due to the holidays. CNN News Central is a very graphics intensive program, which means increased staff to program all of the graphics for each segment. Switching to a Newsroom style format for a couple of weeks allows more staff time off around the holidays. 

• Like 7

It's probably been brought up in this thread already, but is there any difference between CNN on cable/satellite and their "Max" feed other than the CNN bug and ticker?

Pretty sad that CNN has slipped to this, but it was inevitable to it being nothing more than added value to Max, which I still get for free via my AT&T internet service.

CNN Max has a few original newscasts but also simulcasts a lot of CNN International (which is itself often a simulcast of CNN/U.S.). I'm not sure how much might have changed since the September launch but this was my post of the schedule then: 

• Confused 1

On 12/29/2023 at 8:04 AM, mountainave said:

Funny, I actually just came here to make the same observation that the the AM and PM versions seem to have almost entirely dropped the stand-ups that were meant to define the show in favor of anchors stationed at a desk.  Bit of a shame, in my opinion.  I think Licht was onto something -- the stand-ups did give the show more of an active feel that differentiated it from the rest of the day's desk-based programming.

I can't understand why they fiddle with something that isn't broken. I wouldn't be surprised if they abandon (phase out) News Central at some point.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ATLNewsExpert said:

Is it just me or did CNN debut new or updated graphics and backgrounds for election coverage last night?

Ok I thought it was just me! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I think they added texturized elements. Diamonds, lines, and the stars are all 3D. It's noticeable in their set in the background and on the desk also in the L3. But they're still keeping with the same red, white, and blue theme. Its a subtle change. They also used a drone over the river in Des Moines which showed augmented reality graphics. Similar to what NBC/MSNBC does with Rockefeller Center during election coverage. 

It is more noticeable in the NY studio that Anderson uses. Seen here on this video on cnn.com.

Edited by NBC 5 Chicago
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 1/19/2024 at 1:20 PM, mountainave said:

Morning edition of CNN News Central is back to using stand-ups with full graphics, but the afternoon edition still has Keilar and Sanchez sitting at a desk without studio graphics.

Speculation - the DC set is undergoing election updates

• Like 1

Interestingly, Erin Burnett, who usually anchors from NY, is anchoring election coverage from DC today, and Wolf Blitzer, who usually anchors from DC, is anchoring election coverage from NY today.  They did the same swap last week covering Iowa, I believe. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mountainave said:

Interestingly, Erin Burnett, who usually anchors from NY, is anchoring election coverage from DC today, and Wolf Blitzer, who usually anchors from DC, is anchoring election coverage from NY today.  They did the same swap last week covering Iowa, I believe. 

Yes they did, is Erin still from studio A/B? Very weird to say the least.