CNN: The Continuing Soap Opera

Eat News

22 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

Another update to the graphics again as of 9 a.m. Keeping the overall Licht graphics but everything is back to the Zucker placements: Show title, time, and Live.

The lower third no longer has the red transitions, and reporters' names animate in again instead of seeming to appear on "another slide." The CNN logo is back in reporters' titles (instead of just text).

Oh, and the ticker is back. 😕

image.thumb.png.759ddd3af53ea88ebdf85e7a730852d5.png

I know I already commented on this thread since the graphics update was announced but here are my thoughts on this, sorry in advance if it goes on a rant/tangent. I don't even know what CNN is doing anymore, it's like for some reason people at the network itself seemed to despise the new look in it's original form that they just had to change it so many times, just for it to look the same pre-update. When you update something, the point of the update is to make that something look DIFFERENT.

If we went through all this trouble, just to return back to the pre-Licht graphics then why did we even change them in the first place? Almost everyone on here agreed the update, looked fine enough as it was the little things about it that made it good, like the flipper and the moving of the time, but now that that's been removed, we are left with this mix-match look that just feels out of place. CNN needs actual new lower thirds soon but I fear these updates only push that back.

Edited by ATLNewsExpert
  • Like 4
  • Concerned 1

I agree with you that it seems silly to make changes and then nearly revert all the way back after a short time. The main reason for this is that there has been a change in leadership again. The new guy wanted to make his mark on everything and had ideas for improvements. He was let go after just over a year and new new management, which was there under the original management, felt like fixing some things in their eyes, including the graphics and schedule again. 

I think most viewers won't notice this week's graphics adjustments... Many actually probably didn't even notice the big June 1st change since it was overall pretty similar. 

• Like 2

Definitely improvement from what the graphics were, but it is very random how the live bar is rounded in the order it is in (left side instead of right) which makes it look out of proportion to the subject bar where breaking news is. Does anyone else find it looks kinda random? Below I have made a concept of how it should look when in proportion which looks much better imo.

cngrapconcept.png

• Like 4

On 8/15/2023 at 2:13 PM, Spherix said:

Definitely improvement from what the graphics were, but it is very random how the live bar is rounded in the order it is in (left side instead of right) which makes it look out of proportion to the subject bar where breaking news is. Does anyone else find it looks kinda random? Below I have made a concept of how it should look when in proportion which looks much better imo.

cngrapconcept.png

Wait did the name "CNN This Morning" look so squished in the 2014 lower thirds? It makes sense to me to just shorten the titles like I do in my concepts (CNN This Morning/This Morning, Erin Burnett Outfront/Outfront)

On 8/15/2023 at 1:13 PM, Spherix said:

cngrapconcept.png

You're right. It doesn't make sense for the live tag to be rounded on the left and squared off on the right. It actually looks really out of place.

2 hours ago, ATLNewsExpert said:

Wait did the name "CNN This Morning" look so squished in the 2014 lower thirds? It makes sense to me to just shorten the titles like I do in my concepts (CNN This Morning/This Morning, Erin Burnett Outfront/Outfront)

Looking at the screenshots from day 1 of the show, it looks like the full show title was all listed on a single line before.

CNN needs to adjust the size of their American map so the lower graphics do not block the southern states.  Noticed during the heat wave, Florida was partly covered over when Florida was included in the heat warnings with projected high temps.  Thought the lower graphics would be dropped temporarily but wasn't.

First look at CNN's new severe weather bar. I'm guessing the same shape will be used for election results but it seems incredibly large for the little bit of information it's being used for right now. I'm also not a fan of the way things don't line up nicely in all situations.

image.thumb.png.b7faeb60e3776f3329e5bc00229b5f56.png

image.thumb.png.e1912b279e3b307bdc2e961bcb823dac.png

image.thumb.png.a59daa33323361a737b7b919fe4090ce.png

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

First look at CNN's new severe weather bar. I'm guessing the same shape will be used for election results but it seems incredibly large for the little bit of information it's being used for right now. I'm also not a fan of the way things don't line up nicely in all situations.

Second image looks perfect, I hope that is what they do for election coverage, but I agree with you on everything else, either it's too small or too large, they need one size for all to fit with the LIVE bug, I'm actually glad the bug returned for this as if it didn't, it admittedly would have looked more off.

15 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

Notice how the live bug has 90 degree angles on both sides? I'm seeing some shows like this and others with the left curve still there.

On 8/21/2023 at 3:38 AM, PTVNews said:

Notice how the live bug has 90 degree angles on both sides? I'm seeing some shows like this and others with the left curve still there.

I think the only time you see a curve on the bug (top left) is when it sits alone -- no lower-third, no live.

CNN’s website is in desperate need of a clean-up on its programming page… three themes things stick out to me…. No page for CNN This Morning, NewsCentral or The Source. CNN Newsroom’s page still has a picture as Anna Cabrera under anchors. There is still a page for ‘New Day’

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

CNN will have a bigger presence on Max with a 24/7 live stream of the US and International channels (excluding some programs) and new programming. CNN Max launches with an "open beta" on September 27.

https://deadline.com/2023/08/cnn-max-streaming-news-warner-bros-discovery-1235526959/

Edited by Action Newsroom
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 7:54 PM, mre29 said:

So, they're competing against the live streaming offerings from NBC News Now, ABS News Live, and CBS News (the former CBSN)?

Sounds like it, but it will only be available (for now) via the MAX streaming service while NBC News Now, ABC News Live, etc.. are widely available on other platforms (Roku, Tubi, Pluto, etc..).

They would have been better off scaling back CNN+ to reduce costs rather than completely shutting it down. Plus, unless CNN Max gets a prominent banner and/or link on the main page of MAX, it’s going to get lost in the shuffle.

• Sad 1

On 8/20/2023 at 11:39 AM, Geoffrey said:

Looks better today with the ticker included (even if it looks off by about a pixel).

image.thumb.png.d5fbdd276b8b354dce0c588f5ac4629d.png

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, MediaZone4K said:

looks like HLN is similcasting CNN This Mor ing's hurricane coverage today. Has HLN been doing this similcast regularly?

IMG_4530.jpeg

IMG_4532.jpeg

Yes. Since they ended Morning Express on HLN, they’ve been simulcasting CNN This Morning.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gbsgeo said:

He had a great track record with the BBC & NYT from what I've read. I wish Mr. Thompson the best in reversing and improving CNN's fortunes. From what we've seen on- and off-air recently, they're gonna need all the goodwill they can get.

37 minutes ago, Action Newsroom said:

He had a great track record with the BBC & NYT from what I've read. I wish Mr. Thompson the best in reversing and improving CNN's fortunes. From what we've seen on- and off-air recently, they're gonna need all the goodwill they can get.

Reportedly, the interim leadership team was taken aback by Zaslav naming someone relatively quickly. They believed (or hoped) that they would be in charge until at least the end of year.

According to THR, the "interim team of COO David Leavy; Amy Entelis, the longtime head of talent and content development; head of editorial Virginia Moseley; and programming chief Eric Sherling will continue in their current roles under Thompson."

What's key, imo, is that Thompson will '“act as editor-in-chief, ultimately responsible for all CNN content,” per WBD which would suggest that the new lineup could get reworked once Thompson starts in October.

Edited by jase

1 minute ago, jase said:

Reportedly, the interim leadership team was taken aback by Zaslav naming someone relatively quickly. They believed (or hoped) that they would be in charge until at least the end of year.

According to THR, the 'interim team of COO David Leavy; Amy Entelis, the longtime head of talent and content development; head of editorial Virginia Moseley; and programming chief Eric Sherling will continue in their current roles under Thompson.'

What's key, imo, is that Thompson will '“act as editor-in-chief, ultimately responsible for all CNN content,” per WBD which would suggest the new lineup could get reworked once Thompson starts in October.

That's interesting. 

12 minutes ago, jase said:

What's key, imo, is that Thompson will '“act as editor-in-chief, ultimately responsible for all CNN content,” per WBD which would suggest that the new lineup could get reworked once Thompson starts in October.

I wouldn’t expect Mark to wait until October to pull back the curtains. He’ll get caught up to speed and will likely provide feedback and direction as new shows and CNN Max launches to save the embarrassment of getting CNN+ed.

Edited by EastCoast

Well with Mark coming in soon, probably so will changes to the schedule, including CNN This Morning. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but here I am anyway.

I asked A.I to make a list of possible names that CNN could go with, if they do indeed decide to get rid of the This Morning name, here it is.

- CNN Sunrise

- CNN Daybreak

- CNN Morning Report

- CNN Wake Up

Thoughts?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1