CNN: The Continuing Soap Opera

Eat News

2 hours ago, KRAP-TV said:

It’s kind of odd to see CNN reporting on itself like this, but it’s certainly revealing…

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/26/media/cnn-after-chris-licht-reliable-sources/index.html

Sounds like many were (or are) resistant to (any) change and simply want to go back to the Zucker years.

As I type this, both MSNBC and FNC are discussing Russia/Putin. What's on CNN you ask??? Some Trump tape from 2021. That tells me all I need to know about the post-Licht CNN.

• Sad 1

CNN covered Russia/Putin excessively over the weekend and the first part of the day yesterday. CNN Obtained the Trump tape and broke the news exclusively and ran with it throughout primetime. 

If MSNBC  (don't think FNC would) have obtained the tape they too would be running it exclusively. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

I should've known; I really don't trust Puck to get story basics right, so this is just another confirmation of that and it was just the graphics people adjusting, so my last post doesn't really stand (though I'm sure the meddling is there all the same).

Both Puck and CNN's own media reporters are reporting graphics changes over the next 2-3 weeks with initial changes already underway.  That suggests to me that the changes in font may be a temporary fix or part of future changes.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KRAP-TV said:

It’s kind of odd to see CNN reporting on itself like this, but it’s certainly revealing…

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/26/media/cnn-after-chris-licht-reliable-sources/index.html

They actually wrote an article about making the freakin font bolder. How embarrassing…

Granted, they did a phenomenal job covering the Russian coup and Christiane Amanpour did a fantastic interview with Obama, but why do I get the feeling we’re about to get the Greatest Hits of Jeff Zucker?

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

They actually wrote an article about making the freakin font bolder. How embarrassing…

Yeah, that is definitely the oddest part of the article as far as I’m concerned. Fun for those of us who care about such things. Weird for the other 98% who could give a hoot 😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

CNN covered Russia/Putin excessively over the weekend and the first part of the day yesterday. CNN Obtained the Trump tape and broke the news exclusively and ran with it throughout primetime. 

If MSNBC  (don't think FNC would) have obtained the tape they too would be running it exclusively. 

The tape is part of evidence collected by the justice department and nothing new is revealed that we didn't already know (or have a general sense of). So the exclusivity of airing the tape is somewhat moot.

Back to the article; it comes across as a really strange (or as other have suggested odd) piece. What is the point of it? I mean once a new leader of CNN is named, he or she will want to put their stamp on things and make changes. I guess they want to celebrate their renewed sense of freedom/purpose while they can because it could all go away at some point. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 6:34 AM, Spring Rubber said:

Wow, weird to see a total reversion to a previous graphics package in the TV news biz. I've seen cases where someone new takes over shortly after a graphics change, and there's a swift changeover to something completely different (but new), but it's super strange to see a revert back to a previous package. Is there any time in the past that this has ever happened anywhere across the TV news landscape?

It sort of reminds me of when 7 News Australia in late January of 2014 updated their news theme for all their national bulletins away from their classic remix theme of John Williams' 'The Mission' to something different. People did not like it so they reverted back to the mission only after four days.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2023 at 9:52 AM, Geoffrey said:

So definitely not the "back to the old style" that Dylan Byers reported but more of a hybrid adjusting the new design.image.thumb.png.0a57ce3320a60a9156a4b5d3165962ef.png

Give it a few weeks, as I think that source said. The changes started yesterday, and they're slowly going back to the old one. I think they're recreating it from scratch, or finding the files to help do it from. 

Edited by Horizon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mightynine said:

As an aside, HLN has updated its logo. In use on-air, not on their socials.

HLN_2023.png

And maybe a new tagline: "We play favorites".

When I saw the new logo, it weirdly reminded me of a design that a Russian broadcaster would use.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, KRAP-TV said:

It was surprising that they openly criticized his management in the article. I thought it would be filled with corperate speak like "CNN is deciding to go in a new direction, we wish him well in his new endeavors". 

Edited by MediaZone4K

6 hours ago, mightynine said:

As an aside, HLN has updated its logo. In use on-air, not on their socials.

HLN_2023.png

And maybe a new tagline: "We play favorites".

There’ve been rumors of it becoming a classic TV channel in the fall, and that tagline certainly will feed the speculation 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, mountainave said:

It was one paragraph in a twelve paragraph article.

Incorrect; it’s a third of the article. Oliver Darcy managed to pump four whole paragraphs about the font, the graphics, and how the new graphics were somehow emblematic of Chris Licht’s tenure.

Forgive me for expecting better from a major American news outlet, but I think it’s rather childish for a reporter to ramble on about this sort of thing in an attempt to air the network’s dirty laundry. Of course, that’s just my opinion; others are available.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Incorrect; it’s a third of the article. Oliver Darcy managed to pump four whole paragraphs about the font, the graphics, and how the new graphics were somehow emblematic of Chris Licht’s tenure.

Forgive me for expecting better from a major American news outlet, but I think it’s rather childish to ramble on about this sort of thing in an attempt to air the network’s dirty laundry. Of course, that’s just my opinion; others are available.

He is their media reporter writing for their media newsletter. He thought he was being clever tying the bolder font with a bolder direction. Perhaps you disagree. 

19 hours ago, jase said:

As I type this, both MSNBC and FNC are discussing Russia/Putin. What's on CNN you ask??? Some Trump tape from 2021. That tells me all I need to know about the post-Licht CNN.

It's not just "some Trump tape from 2021." It is audio of the former president of the United States, currently under federal indictment, admitting that a document he was so cavalierly showing off to a writer was classified and that he could no longer declassify it. It completely blows up each of his public defenses since last August. Yes, it is news, and MSNBC led with it last night at 9. And don't worry, CNN devoted much coverage to Russia as well. The fact that it's from 2021 does not make it any less newsworthy. 

11 hours ago, jase said:

The tape is part of evidence collected by the justice department and nothing new is revealed that we didn't already know (or have a general sense of). So the exclusivity of airing the tape is somewhat moot.

Hearing the former president say this stuff, instead of just reading transcripts, is rather incredible, and gives new insight into his tone and the tone of those around him. Any news organization wishes they had obtained this.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

He is their media reporter writing for their media newsletter. He thought he was being clever tying the bolder font with a bolder direction. Perhaps you disagree. 

Ok, fair point. Still a little much for my taste, but like I said, that’s just my opinion. I’m just hoping “bolder”≠2013-2022.

2 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

Hearing the former president say this stuff, instead of just reading transcripts, is rather incredible, and gives new insight into his tone and the tone of those around him. Any news organization wishes they had obtained this.

This dude has said and done a ton of horrible things and this tape simply doesn't hold any tangible weight. It's just another item to add to the list. It's the unfortunate reality in which we live.

Not saying that CNN shouldn't have aired the tape; I just see it (the tape) as emblematic of them moving away from creating shows like CNN News Central and looking at the majority of things through a political/opinion lens. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, LTSC1980 said:

The HLN’s new logo have looks like former ITN logo IMO. IMG_5603.thumb.png.59f01265cb35f0b61af8e4beb5df4df0.png

I see that too, which is funny in hindsight, considering HLN’s shift away from news.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Glimmer said:

There’ve been rumors of it becoming a classic TV channel in the fall, and that tagline certainly will feed the speculation 

That's news. I assume the rumor popped up while everyone was worrying about TCM.

There's a CNN Philippines? I didn't know that.

Huh. There's also channels for Brazil, Chile, Turkey, India, Indonesia, Japan, the Czech Republic, Albania, Romania, and Portugal. Guess I should've paid more attention to the Wikipedia page.

I'm surprised there aren't country-specific channels for Australia and New Zealand. Is Sky News that dominant there?

2 hours ago, mre29 said:

There's a CNN Philippines? I didn't know that.

Huh. There's also channels for Brazil, Chile, Turkey, India, Indonesia, Japan, the Czech Republic, Albania, Romania, and Portugal. Guess I should've paid more attention to the Wikipedia page.

I'm surprised there aren't country-specific channels for Australia and New Zealand. Is Sky News that dominant there?

CNN licenses their brand to pretty much all of those channels; I don’t think they actually own the channels themselves. Launching a country-specific channel for other English-speaking nations would probably be redundant, given that CNN Int’l already (sort of) caters to that audience. Although, WBD does own Newshub in NZ.

The Philippine version of “The Source” is basically an interview show; from what I remember, Pinky Webb basically does a sit down interview with a political figure for half an hour, and that’s about it. OTOH, Kaitlan Collins’ show is being marketed as another prime time talk show. I could be wrong, but I don’t think the two shows will share much in common other than the title.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie