CNN: The Continuing Soap Opera

Eat News

• 2 weeks later...

Let’s hope that doesn’t happen. 
But the more intresting part of that article is: 

“One possible deal recently floated in media circles involves a merger between NBCUniversal parent Comcast and Paramount. The two companies reportedly had been in talks in 2021.

If that merger happens sooner or later, (the newly acquired company under the ownership of) Comcast would likely be forced to get rid of the CBS network due to antitrust violations. Warner Bros Discovery, in turn, might then swoop in and combine CNN with CBS News, seeking to reap efficiencies between the two networks under its umbrella, some insiders have speculated.”

That would honestly make a lot of sense and be a huge benefit for CBS which just can’t seems to stand up straight and address the problems at CNN. 

• Like 1
  • Empathetic 1

20 minutes ago, jrogo said:

Let’s hope that doesn’t happen. 
But the more intresting part of that article is: 

“One possible deal recently floated in media circles involves a merger between NBCUniversal parent Comcast and Paramount. The two companies reportedly had been in talks in 2021.

If that merger happens sooner or later, (the newly acquired company under the ownership of) Comcast would likely be forced to get rid of the CBS network due to antitrust violations. Warner Bros Discovery, in turn, might then swoop in and combine CNN with CBS News, seeking to reap efficiencies between the two networks under its umbrella, some insiders have speculated.”

That would honestly make a lot of sense and be a huge benefit for CBS which just can’t seems to stand up straight and address the problems at CNN. 

IMO from a viewer and from an employee perspective, we don't need further narrowing of the media landscape. 

On the other hand, maybe the far superior journalistic quality of CBS News might rub off on CNN.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jrogo said:

Warner Bros Discovery, in turn, might then swoop in and combine CNN with CBS News, seeking to reap efficiencies between the two networks under its umbrella, some insiders have speculated.”

There has been talk of a CBS/CNN merger for a long time.

1 hour ago, ATLNewsExpert said:

A lot has happened since the initial announcement but wasn't Katlin Colin's show supposed to start this month?

I'm not sure if she's been there every night but she's been anchoring CNN Primetime this week and in recent weeks. Wonder if this is just how it'll be or if they'll actually rebrand the show around her.

27 minutes ago, mountainave said:

CNN will undo its graphics changes.

Eh I'm mixed, while the new lower third's were only evolutionary and not revolutionary, admittedly they were a lot cleaner and simpler, with the ticker and such. This will be a confusing change for viewers but hopefully a new CEO will actually implement NEW, more modern L3'S, that goes for most of the shows as well. 

• Like 3

That's pretty embarrassing. I wonder why the process will take 2-3 weeks, unless Byers means they're going to start working on reloading the graphics into the systems on Monday and it'll be 2-3 weeks before we see the change. 

And I was still waiting to see whatever this special breaking news version of the graphics would look like. (Was it just the red ticker?)

Maybe they can keep the flipper vs. the ticker?

Wow, weird to see a total reversion to a previous graphics package in the TV news biz. I've seen cases where someone new takes over shortly after a graphics change, and there's a swift changeover to something completely different (but new), but it's super strange to see a revert back to a previous package. Is there any time in the past that this has ever happened anywhere across the TV news landscape?

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

That's pretty embarrassing. I wonder why the process will take 2-3 weeks, unless Byers means they're going to start working on reloading the graphics into the systems on Monday and it'll be 2-3 weeks before we see the change. 

And I was still waiting to see whatever this special breaking news version of the graphics would look like. (Was it just the red ticker?)

Maybe they can keep the flipper vs. the ticker?

I do hope they keep the flipping ticker. As for the rest of the graphics, I did not like the placement of the show’s name above the lower third and the clock on the left instead of under the CNN bug. 

• Sad 1

This is so stupid, the graphics were great for what they were, and miles better than before. CNN has had the WORST graphics for a while. CNN will stay in 3rd place until they sell it to someone who cares about the news.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 6/24/2023 at 4:36 PM, Mughunter said:

I do hope they keep the flipping ticker. As for the rest of the graphics, I did not like the placement of the show’s name above the lower third and the clock on the left instead of under the CNN bug. 

I didn't like the clock being on the left; having it on the right is pretty much the industry standard, at least here in the US.

It'd be like having the website logo on the right.

Why do I get the feeling Zazlav watched NBC Nightly News and threw a tantrum that his graphics '(censored) (censored) (censored)' compared to their 'new (censored) package)' and told everyone 'start (censored) over' after who knows how much work was done? I would not be shocked if CNN's graphics department hates him just as much as those at TCM right now (and since CNN+ was scuttled, it trebled).

The only time I can really think of a reverse being done was WPVI (we all know THAT story), or probably in the 70s or 80s because a newer machine just didn't work with the news department's ENG conversion yet and had to be back-burnered until it was fixed, or more rarely, a network switch forced an old system to be implemented as they were no longer licensed to use the network's software and devices (a la CBS).

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 5

On 6/24/2023 at 3:12 PM, mountainave said:

CNN will undo its graphics changes.

Granted the old graphics are better than what's on screen now but they should focus on getting an entirely new look. I'll give it to current CNN though, if something isn't working such as CNN Plus or their new graphics package, they'll get rid of it quickly. Keep the flip ticker though.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, MediaZone4K said:

I'll give it to current CNN though, if something isn't working such as CNN Plus or their new graphics package, they'll get rid of it quickly.

CNN+ wasn't canceled due to it not working. They had invested $100 million and something like a year of preparation, only to announce its cancellation about three weeks into its existence. They shut it down because it did not align with Warner Bros Discovery's streaming plans. Sure, if more than a handful of people had signed up in the first three weeks, perhaps the calculation would have been different, but it was never even given a chance to succeed.

Anyway, no change to the graphics this morning. Maybe it takes 2-3 weeks for them to load them back into the control rooms and we'll see the change after that.

• Like 1

Looks like the graphics change has been implemented. Keeping the new graphics but making some adjustments:

Person's name and title is again displayed under the headline, which is bolder. Locators have been squared off, as has been the CNN bug (except for the top-left corner, not pictured here), but the curves remain elsewhere. The flipper is now written in all caps and is often nearly impossible to read (I'm sure this will be addressed quickly).

So definitely not the "back to the old style" that Dylan Byers reported but more of a hybrid adjusting the new design.image.thumb.png.0a57ce3320a60a9156a4b5d3165962ef.png

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

Looks like the graphics change has been implemented. Keeping the new graphics but making some adjustments:

Person's name and title is again displayed under the headline, which is bolder. Locators have been squared off, as has been the CNN bug (except for the top-left corner, not pictured here), but the curves remain elsewhere. The flipper is now written in all caps and is often nearly impossible to read (I'm sure this will be addressed quickly).

So definitely not the "back to the old style" that Dylan Byers reported but more of a hybrid adjusting the new design.image.thumb.png.0a57ce3320a60a9156a4b5d3165962ef.png

Bolder looks better, but still not a fan of this package. Looks very basic. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

I don’t think I would have noticed the changes if you hadn’t pointed them out.

I really want CNN to succeed…

• Like 2

It's a minor change, and it's....ok. Still way too much mix and match on font weights, the now no-longer rounded edges on things like location bugs feel misaligned since I think the space is still there for the curve but now it's just an edge, the gaps between the name of the reporter and title like above feel way too big, that all caps on the flipper is a big no...

Ok, so maybe OK is a little strong. Slapdash feels better. I wonder if they might be experimenting a bit to see what may or may not work rather than just loading up the old graphics template and calling it a day.

Edited by mightynine
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Just throwing this out there, and it's a topic that's good for the speculatron.....

If Perry Sook & Sean Compton bring aboard Jeff Zucker to make something of NewsNation....

How much worse could it get?   Perhaps all of Jeff Zucker's cronies...er ass kissers will join him from CNN and finally wipe all of that baggage from there.

Now as for CNN itself, would some of the broadcast companies be willing to chip in and buy it as a joint venture?  After all, where else would they get their Jeanie Moos and TALAT packages from?

Edited by tyrannical bastard

4 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

So definitely not the "back to the old style" that Dylan Byers reported but more of a hybrid adjusting the new design.

I should've known; I really don't trust Puck to get story basics right, so this is just another confirmation of that and it was just the graphics people adjusting, so my last post doesn't really stand (though I'm sure the meddling is there all the same).

• Like 3