CNN: The Continuing Soap Opera

Eat News

As others have said, nothing ground-breaking. Music is a bit too dramatic for me. Shame the new graphic elements couldn't be fully implemented. Kate seems out of it for some reason.

Edited by jase
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, jase said:

As others have said, nothing ground-breaking. Music is a bit too dramatic for me. Shame the new graphic elements couldn't be fully implemented. Kate seems out of it for some reason.

Kate didn't look well this morning. I hope she's ok.

I was surprised that unlike MSNBC, CNN broke away from Trump's Florida departure to cover other stories. MSNBC temporarily did so just for the southern tornadoes.

It's hard to think of recent time where MSNBC has covered something non-Trump/politics related with the exception of severe weather. 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1

Initial thoughts:

interesting concept. The stand-ups, floor-to-ceiling graphics, and camera pans from one part of the studio to another reminded me of CNN’s election night coverage, which is probably not an accident. Creates a more active and fast-paced feeling. 

As others have said, no graphics overhaul yet. Lower thirds and bug are all the same. Some elements drawing from the new logo did appear sporadically. 

Some of the standing felt excessive, though. I almost felt bad for the anchors. I only watched the first 10 minutes but I didn’t see anyone sit down once. Even the panel discussion I saw involved everyone standing and chatting around a table. It was almost distracting. I suspect they will recalibrate some of this over time. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure what I think of the new format. I like the use of graphics on the studio screens that give flat walls an appearance of depth. I like the new music (or at least the retro CNN signature -- the rest felt like generic production music).

I'm not a fan of the lack of anchor interaction. There are three anchors but they almost never acknowledge each other. They're all pretty much presenting stories individually. Toward the end, John and Kate discussed March Madness with sports contributor Christine Brennan, but that was it. What's the point of three anchors other than to satisfy previous contractual agreements? John and Kate have worked together in the past (used to co-anchor At This Hour before John went to 9-11am Newsroom, before going to New Day) and have great, sarcastic chemistry, but none of that was seen today.

It felt "heavily produced" which I actually don't like, especially for a daytime newscast. I wonder how well equipped they will be at handling unexpected stories if they don't have maps, graphics and camera shots planned in advance. Will they be slower?

Also felt like fewer panels or discussions with experts with a greater focus on live reporters in the field. More reporting is good but I think cable news viewers have become accustomed to panels/debates.

The whole broadcast overall felt kind of lifeless, and I'm a fan of these three anchors.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think interactions between the anchors will come with time. It’s a new format that everyone will have to get use to. I guess (hope) they get a chance to sit down off camera because standing for 3 hrs is a pain.

Honestly, I’m glad there were no panels or political discussions. I know that’s their bread and butter, but viewers can get that elsewhere. I rather they focus on the news during these two 3 hr. blocks.

I agree the show appeared too scripted, but that’s an easy fix. I’m interested in seeing how things will go when there’s breaking news (I.e… will they wheel in a desk and chairs for the anchors, etc…).

Overall, not too bad.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Damming indeed. That is some gross, salacious, embarrassing and unconscionable behavior lead by an inflated ego and a self-serving drive for more airtime. And the fact that executives at the time of these communications just let him off the hook each time is just as terrible. If this won't lead to his termination or resignation from the network, nothing will.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Action Newsroom said:

Damming indeed. That is some gross, salacious, embarrassing and unconscionable behavior lead by an inflated ego and a self-serving drive for more airtime. And the fact that executives at the time of these communications just let him off the hook each time is just as terrible. If this won't lead to his termination or resignation from the network, nothing will.

It's indeed sad. I've never been a fan of Lemon just from how he presents himself on television, I always found him as arrogant and annoying at times. His style of reporting is why I don't appreciate the state of cable news. This Variety article just confirms he is a toxic person to work with as well. I was really surprised when he wasn't let go last year, but with CNN This Morning's ratings in the toilet, CNN should cut their losses with Lemon. 

• Like 3

Don's always struck me as a bit arrogant of times. I agree with his political opinions, but there was always something that rubbed me the wrong way. The fact they kept him and got rid of the likable and no baggage Robin Meade upset me in a way. Her ratings were always better than anything CNN's done with mornings over the past decade. If I was in Licht's shoes, I'd bring back Robin and the Morning Express crew, perhaps in a different place than Atlanta. CNN This Morning isn't bad, but the ratings won't increase until Don is fired or resigns at this point.

• Like 4

I generally have not been a fan of Don's for a while. He definitely seems to crave the spotlight in a way that is really irritating to me. I was shocked that he was tapped to headline the new morning show, especially over signs the network was trying to appease Republicans while also cutting back on drama. Don seems tired in the morning and just seems even less sharp than he was in primetime and adds little substance to any conversation. He is easily outshined by Poppy and Kaitlan. Don may be, dare I say it?, past his prime.

I do want to correct something Variety twice claimed in the article, including here: 

It appears to be the last time he was paired with a female anchor until his most recent assignment on “CNN This Morning With Don Lemon, Poppy Harlow and Kaitlan Collins.” 

When CNN hired Alisyn Camerota but didn't know where to put her at first, she was paired with Don for a time on CNN Tonight. It might have only lasted a few weeks or months but it was permanent enough for both anchors' names to have been on the show's logo. (Alisyn would go on to bump Kate Bolduan as Chris Cuomo's New Day co-anchor.)

I read the report and now I’m more confused and concerned as to why was this allowed to go on for so long unchecked. There’s been a few time his ratings were subpar so why not get rid of him then? This seems like a set up to an ouster. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Daybreak said:

I read the report and now I’m more confused and concerned as to why was this allowed to go on for so long unchecked. There’s been a few time his ratings were subpar so why not get rid of him then? This seems like a set up to an ouster. 

Once again broadcast news proves itself to be a hotbed of inflated egos and back biting. Sucks. 

Never been a fan of Lemon's. This confirms things.

• Like 1

Take this with a grain of salt but Radar is saying Kaitlan Collins is moving to the 9pm slot temporarily as a trial starting next week . If true, sure adds more fuel to the fire. 

I quite enjoy Katilan Collins. I like her style and she seems very well connected to get the scoop on a lot of things. 

As for Don Lemon, I liked him  when he was here at WMAQ in Chicago but I would agree I feel his ego has been inflated too big and he comes across pompous and arrogant most of the time. While I'll typically agree with his views its his delivery that I don't quite enjoy. I tried watching CNN this morning. I enjoy Poppy and Kaitlan more than Don. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

I do want to correct something Variety twice claimed in the article, including here: 

When CNN hired Alisyn Camerota but didn't know where to put her at first, she was paired with Don for a time on CNN Tonight. It might have only lasted a few weeks or months but it was permanent enough for both anchors' names to have been on the show's logo. (Alisyn would go on to bump Kate Bolduan as Chris Cuomo's New Day co-anchor.)

Worth noting is that Don was on with Alisyn this past Tuesday on CNN Tonight, so it would appear that they don't have a issue working together. Pairing him with Poppy and Kaitlan was shocking, for a lot of reasons, and they have zero chemistry that will never get better. The oddest trio there is.

19 hours ago, Daybreak said:

Unfortunately, being a jerk and creating a hostile work environment wasn't a big deal then as it is now. Plus, given that management was always going to side with him no matter what; he no doubt felt he could say/do whatever. Now it appears he is on very thin ice so his ouster or another re-assignment  'could' be imminent.

23 minutes ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

Take this with a grain of salt but Radar is saying Kaitlan Collins is moving to the 9pm slot temporarily as a trial starting next week . If true, sure adds more fuel to the fire. 

I quite enjoy Katilan Collins. I like her style and she seems very well connected to get the scoop on a lot of things. 

As for Don Lemon, I liked him  when he was here at WMAQ in Chicago but I would agree I feel his ego has been inflated too big and he comes across pompous and arrogant most of the time. While I'll typically agree with his views its his delivery that I don't quite enjoy. I tried watching CNN this morning. I enjoy Poppy and Kaitlan more than Don. 

I feel like having her in an anchor/host role isn't the best use of her skills. She is much better reporting than anchoring.

Edited by jase

Meanwhile, HLN, which has been showing older Warner Bros. TV dramas on weekends -- first The West Wing, now Fringe -- has expanded that to weeknights, with Third Watch now showing at a rate of four episodes per night (8:00pm to midnight, ET).

I mention it despite not being sure this is the correct thread anymore for discussing HLN. I mean, does the channel even fall under Licht's purview outside of simulcasting CNN This Morning? Do we have to move this discussion to the Breakroom?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mre29 said:

Meanwhile, HLN, which has been showing older Warner Bros. TV dramas on weekends -- first The West Wing, now Fringe -- has expanded that to weeknights, with Third Watch now showing at a rate of four episodes per night (8:00pm to midnight, ET).

I mention it despite not being sure this is the correct thread anymore for discussing HLN. I mean, does the channel even fall under Licht's purview outside of simulcasting CNN This Morning? Do we have to move this discussion to the Breakroom?

I believe overall oversight of HLN is now under Kathleen Finch (WBD US Networks Group chair) with Jason Sarlanis handling the programming side of things. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 12:52 PM, mountainave said:

Initial thoughts:

interesting concept. The stand-ups, floor-to-ceiling graphics, and camera pans from one part of the studio to another reminded me of CNN’s election night coverage, which is probably not an accident. Creates a more active and fast-paced feeling. 

As others have said, no graphics overhaul yet. Lower thirds and bug are all the same. Some elements drawing from the new logo did appear sporadically. 

Some of the standing felt excessive, though. I almost felt bad for the anchors. I only watched the first 10 minutes but I didn’t see anyone sit down once. Even the panel discussion I saw involved everyone standing and chatting around a table. It was almost distracting. I suspect they will recalibrate some of this over time. 

I’m glad you said *almost* feel bad for the anchors. Doctors, teachers, etc. stand for 8-12 hours a day and don’t get paid millions of dollars to do so. 

• Like 1

Has CNN decided to not use Laura Coates as anchor of the 11pm EST hour of "CNN Tonight?"  Just a few months ago, she was named host of the second hour, but I don't see her anchoring in that time slot regularly.

Edited by CraigViewer