CNN: The Continuing Soap Opera

Eat News

4 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

I'm sure we're all thinking about the KCBS/KCAL failure with that name but I'm interested to see what they've got.

News Central was also something Sinclair attempted to do at all of their stations during the mid-2000s.

CNN should be trying to woo Shep Smith. He’d be an excellent addition.

And given all the current turmoil at FOXnews, I wonder how many of their journalist on and off camera are considering a jump to one of the other cable news nets.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finding it strange how we're four days away from April and CNN hasn't even begun teasing News Central. The new Anderson Cooper show began airing ads this week and that's for Sunday evenings. I would have thought CNN would want to start announcing the changes for their core daytime block around this time as well, at least just something to bring up the idea that there are changes coming. Did This Morning start getting promoted this late in advance as well?

27 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

She’s been working with Licht for a while as she was the only remaining original member of the then-CBS This Morning.

She hasn't worked with him in 7 years, but yes, they did work together when he launched CBS This Morning with her.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 10:04 PM, mrsunshine said:

I'm finding it strange how we're four days away from April and CNN hasn't even begun teasing News Central. The new Anderson Cooper show began airing ads this week and that's for Sunday evenings. I would have thought CNN would want to start announcing the changes for their core daytime block around this time as well, at least just something to bring up the idea that there are changes coming. Did This Morning start getting promoted this late in advance as well?

I imagine since it's rolling dayside news coverage and not a personality-based show, they aren't teasing it. Dayside is essentially "have it on in the background"/"check in occasionally" programming vs. the more opinionated primetime shows or the morning offerings (where the most eyeballs are).

Edited by swillh2k2
  • Like 6

Was not expecting two different launch dates.

I also didn't realize that the afternoon block would come from DC, but I should have seeing who the anchors are. I guess this is why Wolf Blitzer has been at a flash cam instead of the usual studio for the last few weeks, at least.

I wonder if we'll also see new network-wide graphics on Monday or later in the month.

Edited by Geoffrey
  • Like 3

This feels like a case where they probably wanted everything to go live on Monday 4/3, but perhaps the DC studio wasn't ready in time. I can only imagine that due to contractual/personnel reasons, they have to go live with the debut of the NYC morning block on Monday 4/3, and simply out of necessity, they're having to delay the afternoon block a few weeks while they put the finishing touches on the studio. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Briella said:

Has it been mentioned that they were getting new graphics? That would be a welcome change.

It's been established that new graphics (whether a heavy update or complete overhaul) is coming, this spring, but whether or not they debut Monday is TBD.

• Like 5

Wondering if the new studios for News Central will coincide with a new studio for This Morning.

From a programmatic perspective I would think getting the new studio for the flagship morning show up and running should take priority over the daytime lineup.

On the other hand, the temp studio CNNTM is using functionally works, whereas the studios from which Newsroom has aired lately are not well configured for a 3-host panel with stand ups, graphics, etc., so I get the need to revamp those. 

We’ll see. 

• Like 2

Multiple outlets (Radar, OK Magazine, Rickey Smiley Morning Show---take what you will from their legitimacy) are reporting that Gayle King will sign a $12 Million deal with CNN. This would make her the highest paid talent at the network. 

Congrats to Gayle! As for CNN, is she and Charles Barclay really the answer to the network's problem? 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Confused 1

On 3/29/2023 at 10:21 PM, mountainave said:

Wondering if the new studios for News Central will coincide with a new studio for This Morning.

From a programmatic perspective I would think getting the new studio for the flagship morning show up and running should take priority over the daytime lineup.

On the other hand, the temp studio CNNTM is using functionally works, whereas the studios from which Newsroom has aired lately are not well configured for a 3-host panel with stand ups, graphics, etc., so I get the need to revamp those. 

We’ll see. 

A look at the logo (courtesy of The Other Site). I like this a lot.

IMG_0723.thumb.jpeg.3609bae4d12566b98e2ad56cee071f4c.jpeg

I wonder if the new studio will look similar to this (‘Studio 7’ circa 2010, designed by ClickSpring). Ideally, it would fit perfectly for what they’re going for with News Central. 

IMG_0722.thumb.jpeg.363bc72c2e80c82bdc36278fcffe046b.jpeg

• Like 3

Still interested to see if new network-wide graphics debut tomorrow...

Also interested to see if the new News Central makes use of manned cameras. CNN previously was only using robotic cameras in the newsroom. It really made the broadcasts feel kind of cheap compared to the shows coming from other studios.

16 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

Multiple outlets (Radar, OK Magazine, Rickey Smiley Morning Show---take what you will from their legitimacy) are reporting that Gayle King will sign a $12 Million deal with CNN. This woukd make her the highest paid talent at the network. 

Congrats to Gayle! As for CNN, is she and Charles Barclay really the answer to the network's problem? 

I wish Gayle was 5 days a week. They could call it “Gayle King Live”, sounding similar to the last successful show they had in the 9pm slot (Larry King Live), as I presume it will be the same type of show. 

• Like 1

Saw a 15-sec promo for CNN News Central. It looks like they're using the CNN Tonight studio, at least for the rehearsals. (I was expecting to see the newsroom for this, but now I'm back to thinking the newsroom might be being redone for CNN This Morning's permanent home.)

"Starting today, we're bringing you the news in a whole new way. The stories at the center of your day. CNN News Central, today at 9 Eastern."

image.thumb.png.2c91a6e62d3e1e8657e2880dd8c2f3cc.png

image.thumb.png.aea0669a3cabf7f635a3cd60fe4285eb.pngimage.thumb.png.a8a5e3d39420ee8f20aec88b093daf09.png

No new graphics on CNN yet as of the 8:00 hour, which makes me think they're not coming today.

Edited by Geoffrey
  • Sad 1

Initial impressions from just the first few minutes:

I love the famous CNN signature being used in the theme.

The use of the studio (the screens and RSS feeds) reminds me of the original The Situation Room.

image.png

Screenshot (36523).png

Screenshot (36525).png

Screenshot (36527).png

Screenshot (36530).png

Screenshot (36534).png

Screenshot (36542).png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1