CNN: The Continuing Soap Opera

Eat News

On 1/13/2023 at 1:48 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

Touche.  They also had the similar variant with a different font, before the prior "blue" package. Zucker was the one who started a decade ago.
The years are beginning to run together these days...

Not to worry. Word is new graphics are on the way with ideally everything else (new shows, graphics, etc..) in place by Licht 1 year anniversary with CNN.

47 minutes ago, 24994J said:

LIKE a Bill Maher. Somebody whose comedy bends toward the political/topical.

More like a Jon Stewart or John Oliver. Unfortunately, I can’t see anyone wanting to commit to doing a show 4-5 days a week. Those days are probably over. Plus, can’t see there being much interest from viewers for a show like that. 

Edited by jase
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, jase said:

Not to worry. Word is new graphics are on the way with ideally everything else (new shows, graphics, etc..) in place by Licht 1 year anniversary with CNN.

Source that new graphics are being worked on, and what do we mean by that, a whole refresh of individual show intros, L3'ds or all? Also by Licht's anniversary, that's fast approaching! 

Edited by ATLNewsExpert

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, jase said:

I don't like this.

I was actually just watching some of Maher this morning and was reminded of how much I dislike him. He doesn't offer any unique insight, spends a lot of time complaining about younger generations based on very exaggerated stereotypes, and "both sides"ing everything. And he seems disappointed that his in-studio isn't nearly as smart as he thinks he is.

Feels like a bad fit for CNN and a lazy choice. Not producing anything new, just taking something that HBO shot earlier that night.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

I don't like this.

I was actually just watching some of Maher this morning and was reminded of how much I dislike him. He doesn't offer any unique insight, spends a lot of time complaining about younger generations based on very exaggerated stereotypes, and "both sides"ing everything. And he seems disappointed that his in-studio isn't nearly as smart as he thinks he is.

Feels like a bad fit for CNN and a lazy choice. Not producing anything new, just taking something that HBO shot earlier that night.

Yeah… not sure he appeals to the demographics they’re trying to reach. I do wonder if they will use clips/highlights from John Oliver’s show as well once the new season starts.

2 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

I don't like this.

I am skeptical that a short five to 15 minute episode of "Overtime" from YouTube will help move the needle for CNN's ratings.

Regardless of one's opinions of Bill Maher, "Overtime" is just less interesting and compelling than a full episode of his "Real Time" series on HBO.

This all comes across to me as CNN pretty much throwing spaghetti at the wall.

Edited by CraigViewer
  • Like 3

More overtures to Gayle King, this time to host a weekly interview show for CNN while remaining at CBS Mornings (like Anderson Cooper's arrangement, but in reverse): https://nypost.com/2023/01/31/cnn-wants-gayle-king-to-host-weekly-prime-time-show-report/

King's a phenomenal interviewer, but I remain skeptical that CNN would be able to successfully differentiate this show from Chris Wallace's weekly interview show. 

• Like 2

Licht did work at CBS' Late Show before moving to CNN.  He is no stranger to comedy, but the Maher move is a bad one.  He is very polarizing to where he doesn't care if he offends people.  I don't know how long he will last on CNN.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mountainave said:

More overtures to Gayle King, this time to host a weekly interview show for CNN while remaining at CBS Mornings (like Anderson Cooper's arrangement, but in reverse): https://nypost.com/2023/01/31/cnn-wants-gayle-king-to-host-weekly-prime-time-show-report/

King's a phenomenal interviewer, but I remain skeptical that CNN would be able to successfully differentiate this show from Chris Wallace's weekly interview show. 

Yes.  That would be redundant to Chris Wallace's interview series indeed. 

I can imagine, however, a scenario of Gayle King occasionally hosting interview specials with celebrities and newsmakers on CNN, like what the late Barbara Walters used to do on ABC, for example.

On the subject of Wallace, while his series is interesting to watch, at times, I have never understood why CNN does not use him in a full time capacity covering politics.  It seems more like his wheelhouse as opposed to a generalized interview show with high-profile guests.  CNN is losing a golden opportunity by not using one of the best in the business at covering politics on a full-time basis, in my opinion.

Edited by CraigViewer
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, CraigViewer said:

Yes.  That would be redundant to Chris Wallace's interview series indeed. 

I can imagine, however, a scenario of Gayle King occasionally hosting interview specials with celebrities and newsmakers on CNN, like what the late Barbara Walters used to do on ABC, for example.

On the subject of Wallace, while his series is interesting to watch, at times, I have never understood why CNN does not use him in a full time capacity covering politics.  It seems more like his wheelhouse as opposed to a generalized interview show with high-profile guests.  CNN is losing a golden opportunity by not using one of the best in the business at covering politics on a full-time basis, in my opinion.

I agree about Wallace (and to some degree..Kasie Hunt). The problem is they have too many people offering up political analysis. As I have previously mentioned; they often have upwards of 8-10 people in-studio battling it out to get a word in. It's utter chaos half the time. Wallace was on during their midterm coverage, but he probably got in just a sentence or two within a 3-hr period.

Unless they change how they do things, I can't see him having a bigger role at CNN.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jase said:

I agree about Wallace (and to some degree..Kasie Hunt). The problem is they have too many people offering up political analysis. As I have previously mentioned; they often have upwards of 8-10 people in-studio battling it out to get a word in. It's utter chaos half the time. Wallace was on during their midterm coverage, but he probably got in just a sentence or two within a 3-hr period.

Unless they change how they do things, I can't see him having a bigger role at CNN.

As you may well know, Kasie Hunt was originally hired to primarily host her own political show on CNN+, which was essentially gone in the blink of an eye, as a result of the days-old length of the streaming network's existence.  Following the demise of CNN+, CNN terminated a sizable number of the streaming network's employees.  But due to Hunt's popularity and stature, I assume those were part of the decision-making from the powers that be to keep her at CNN.  Now, she is left mainly offering political analysis; though I observed on a few occasions that she was seemingly auditioning for "CNN Tonight," before both Laura Coates and Alisyn Camerota were eventually named permanent anchors of the program.

In any case, although the new CNN CEO, Chris Licht, has reduced the number of on-air political commentators at the network in recent weeks, it still certainly does feel weighty with political opinion.  Besides ratings and entertainment (for some), there is no real redeeming value to feature panels with having both sides of the political spectrum arguing with one another, which fortunately they don't feature as often as was formerly the case under former head Jeff Zucker.

Edited by CraigViewer
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheRob said:

They canceled Morning Express with Robin Meade, arguably the best morning news program that CNN had going for it, for this. Keep that in the back of your head.

EDIT: I know HLN ran Robin Meade. I don't count New Day as CNN's best morning news program. They could have easily moved Meade to CNN instead of putting this crap on the air.

Edited by BluesNews
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, TheRob said:

I watched this live. It was good to see. Broadcast networks don't really have the luxury of going long on segments. And Kaitlin is a very strong interviewer, reporter and analyst.

Edited by Geoffrey
  • Like 1

May be an unpopular opinion in this thread among the love-to-hate-CNN-ers, but I think Licht has put together a strong product in CNN This Morning.  It delivers the hard news with a light atmosphere that many have denounced ABC, NBC, and even CBS for turning away from in favor of tabloid fare and pop culture.  I think moving Don Lemon to the morning on a roundtable show was a smart, creative move that reels in his excessive prime-time opining while still giving room for human perspective.  Kaitlan Collins is an excellent political interviewer and Poppy Harlow has been a strong, personable anchor for years.  The three clearly have good chemistry, too.  I look forward to seeing how the show evolves over the next several months, including with a new set of its own.  Licht, who is deeply experienced in launching and relaunching morning shows, is playing the long game and not obsessing over the day to day ratings like some folks here, as he acknowledged he recognizes it can take around a year for a show to start gaining its own footing. 

• Like 8

https://www.si.com/media/2023/02/10/charles-barkley-courted-cnn-primetime-news-show-report

On its face, it may seem outlandish for CNN to use Charles Barkley in its weekday primetime lineup, but I feel that he has a strong ability (even over Gayle King) to be a ratings draw long term for the network, though.

Edited by CraigViewer
  • Sad 1

Interesting concept Licht is reportedly pursuing with a different show hosted by a big name each weeknight (a la network primetime, where you have a different TV show each night in the same slot).  Would also make sense in the context of an offer for Gayle King to host a show once a week.  A single host in primetime hasn't worked despite multiple attempts, so can't fault him for trying something (very) different. 

Edited by mountainave
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cbs2worksforyou said:

Is Don Lemon going to weather this storm or get let go? Thoughts?

It depends. The only thing currently saving him is the fact they likely want to see this morning ‘experiment’ through until the 1 yr. mark. But there are limits to everything.

Sidner made a name for herself reporting from war zones and on domestic white supremacy terrorists. She was tapped  anchor her own daily CNN+ broadcast but that went away quickly, of course. She's scheduled to be part of one of the three-anchor teams when the new "Newsroom" (or whatever they rename it) debuts soon.