CNN: The Continuing Soap Opera

Eat News

Very interesting to see what this looks like. I hope it's not gimmicky. 

I was confused by this line, though. Are they talking about a split screen? They're making it seem like CNN brought back the fake hologram thing.

During last week’s coverage of the election of the U.S. Speaker of the House, CNN superimposed its anchors over scenes of the news, such as a look at the U.S. Capitol or at the scrum going on among members of Congress.

I see no harm in trying something new. I do wonder how this will effect their in-studio political panels, which have been their bread and butter for quite some time. 

Wouldn't be against culling the # of people offering up political analysis as there wasn't a need to have 14+ people (between anchors, correspondents, CNN political analysts and contributors) repeating the same points over and over again during the Speaker of the House coverage last week.  

Nor do they need multiple anchors leading coverage of events instead of dividing the work load, if you will. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

Variety reports that Chris Licht is planning more changes at CNN- revamped daytime lineup and *gasp* no more sitting behind a desk, among other things...

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/cnn-daytime-overhaul-newsroom-headquarters-chris-licht-1235483637/

Because that worked so well and perfect and awesome for the BBC–oh, they're replacing them with new models because their robocam system is comedic.  😂

The problem is certainly not the sitting anchors, though I do agree that CNN's scenics since moving out of CNN Center can easily be compared to a market 150+ station. Back of a screen and fuzzy 720p or lower video is the only thing you ever see, or a 2000s faux brick wall aesthetic.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Because that worked so well and perfect and awesome for the BBC–oh, they're replacing them with new models because their robocam system is comedic.  😂

CNN acquiring the Beeb’s rogue robot cams might just result in the UK’s most significant cultural export since the Beatles.

• Haha 1

Standing vs sitting works depending on the station, and the set. On WNBC and WANF it looks off, WNBC especially beecuase if the awkwardness of camera angles.

WWOR and WNYW did the standing format very well back in the 2000s, especially because they had a more dramatic tabloid flair to their presentation.

Edited by iron_lion

6 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

LOVING the camera movement in the '99 and '95 broadcasts. Getting a very WSVN feel from those tapes. CNN take notes.

WSVN, please... this is better than 7News....

19 minutes ago, RetroCirqII said:

WSVN, please... this is better than 7News....

It compares to WSVN in terms of newsroom set. The camera movement definitely  tops 7 News. As for newscast content, I'd need to sit and watch more indepth for comparison. I do like the bits witt in the news writing that I've seen though. Again CNN should definately take a page from City TV. 

Edited by iron_lion

1 hour ago, Devin said:

Some interesting changes...

So after reading the press release the new schedule will be:

5AM-6AM: Early Start (NYC)

6AM-9AM: CNN This Morning (NYC)

9AM-12N: New 3 hour show co-anchored by John Berman, Kate Bolduan and Sara Sidner (NYC) 

12N: Inside Politics (WDC)

1PM-4PM: New 3 hour show co-anchored by Brianna Keilar, Boris Sanchez and Jim Sciutto (WDC)

4PM-9PM remains unchanged  

The 9PM hour still doesn't have a permeant host.

10PM: Alisyn Camerota (NYC)

11PM: Laura Coates (WDC)

Victor Blackwell will return to Atlanta for This Morning Weekend, Pamela Brown leaves her weekend show (new chief investigative corespondent), so Jim Acosta will expand til 7 on Saturdays and 8 on Sundays, I'm interested to see what programing they put on after that, obviously too early to end coverage, maybe CNN International?

I'm curious as to why CNN thinks they need 3 co-anchors and 3 hour blocks during the day, I'm glad they didn't go the MSNBC route of a new anchor every hour but it seems overdone. The changes will roll out over the next few months but are expected to be done by the end of Q1, I wonder if the newsroom set has been taken off the air for these changes and not CNN This Morning like many thought. 

Anyone else think Licht could launch new graphics with these changes? The current look is almost 9 years old and works fine but since he's changing everything else...

Edited by jrogo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jrogo said:

Some interesting changes...

So after reading the press release the new schedule will be:

5AM-6AM: Early Start (NYC)

6AM-9AM: CNN This Morning (NYC)

9AM-12N: New 3 hour show co-anchored by John Berman, Kate Bolduan and Sara Sidner (NYC) 

12N: Inside Politics (WDC)

1PM-4PM: New 3 hour show co-anchored by Brianna Keilar, Boris Sanchez and Jim Sciutto (WDC)

4PM-9PM remains unchanged  

The 9PM hour still doesn't have a permeant host.

10PM: Alisyn Camerota (NYC)

11PM: Laura Coates (WDC)

Victor Blackwell will return to Atlanta for This Morning Weekend, Pamela Brown leaves her weekend show (new chief investigative corespondent), so Jim Acosta will expand til 7 on Saturdays and 8 on Sundays, I'm interested to see what programing they put on after that, obviously too early to end coverage, maybe CNN International?

I'm curious as to why CNN thinks they need 3 co-anchors and 3 hour blocks during the day, I'm glad they didn't go the MSNBC route of a new anchor every hour but it seems overdone. The changes will roll out over the next few months but are expected to be done by the end of Q1, I wonder if the newsroom set has been taken off the air for these changes and not CNN This Morning like many thought. 

Anyone else think Licht could launch new graphics with these changes? The current look is almost 9 years old and works fine but since he's changing everything else...

Wow, no more "CNN Newsroom" on the weekdays presumably, and nothing on this list originating from Atlanta.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, jrogo said:

I assume that the two 3-hr. blocks is where they will tryout getting the anchors out from behind the desk and moving around (I.e… the NYC newsroom and possibly both the DC newsroom and one of the DC studios).

Having 3 anchors isn’t an unusual concept. They just have to balance everything out. I’m curious to see what they come up with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think new graphics would be just another part of remaking the network as his own. It's time for something sleeker and smaller.

CNN used to have three-hour blocks and I like this return. The three-anchor concept is weird to me but he did it at CBS This Morning and now CNN This Morning.

Nice seeing John Berman back with Kate Bolduan. They used to do At This Hour together before Berman moved to 9-11am, before he moved to New Day. Sara Sidner, who has done amazing work in war zones and domestic danger spots, became an anchor for CNN+ so it's good to see her getting another opportunity.

I feel bad for Victor Blackwell. He finally moved to weekdays only to be sent back to weekends.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mouseboy33 said:

I hope they do something with the graphics. They are old and I think they need something more dynamic. Currently its very cluttered.

They've needed new graphics for over a decade.  It's a vestige of Jeff Zucker that needs to go. 

When he claims that their version of the font Helvetica is custom only to CNN, it just goes how much sh*t that one man can stack.

• Like 1

I'm disappointed that Licht kept the more problematic personalities, while letting the good journalists leave.  I don't think he's any different than Zucker, so I don't have any high hopes for CNN.

Edited by CLETVFan
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/3816899-cnn-considers-prime-time-comic-host-as-gutfeld-thrives-on-fox/

According to The Hill, CNN is considering a late night comic like Trevor Noah or Bill Mahr, given Fox News' Gutfeld's sucess in the ratings against Colbert, Kimmel, and Fallon. 

I don't think CNN gets that Gutfeld isn't doing well because of comedy. Many critics say his show isn't funny at all (may be some political bias there). Gutfeld is doing well because his show offers a perspective other than the same streamline pov on Kimmel, Trevor Noah, Colbert and and a host of other political comedy shows. Is funny news the answer to CNN's primetime problem? Probably not. More of the same opinions is the issue.

The unfortunate causalty is that Jimmy Fallon who is the least political of the bunch has taken a hit in the ratings. 

Edited by iron_lion