CNN: The Continuing Soap Opera

Eat News

23 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Here’s the intro:

Very GMA with the opening shot and angle of the three anchors. Very CBS This Morning with the shape of the table and the tri anchor formatting which also has GMA undertones.

Sometimes the constant mentioning of working life and kids can come off as forced efforts to make the anchors seem like friends or relatable to the audience.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Wasn’t American Morning’s slogan “the most news in the morning”? Seems akin to their promise to provide all the news needed in 10-15 minutes.

Not limited to CNN but when Today and GMA rush through stories in the first half hour it leaves the rest of the broadcast with fluff or repetition. Not to mention the exagurated urgency and ADHD level pacing of trying to fit stories into a minute or so. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Not limited to CNN but when Today and GMA rush through stories in the first half hour it leaves the rest of the broadcast worh fluff or repition. Not to mention the exagurated urgency ADHD level pacing of trying to fit stories into a minute or so. 

The perception should be 'there's nothing but fulfilling news in this program' and you won't run into Morning Save, a native advertising pill ad disguised as an interview, or fluff memoir trash...but then most of the news is stuck on the ticker or in brief (leaving the viewer to seek it out on the .com or app for more), stories that just run overlong, or the news is unimportant fluff after a certain point but still technically 'news'.

• Like 1

Indiewire says CNN will start cutting back on documentaries as a cost cutting measure. This, I'm actually disappointed about because their documentaries are pretty good. 'The Story of Late Night' was extremely well done.

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/10/cnn-documentary-series-warner-bros-discovery-1234777123/?_gl=1*l7yl52*_ga*YW1wLXlfU1pBTUJiNDRkd004c1JubHlzOC1NbnI5ck9EbFdWcy14Z3d4cmpYbHBFdnZMNnBmM2ZMalVqeGNnZEVZbmk.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

Apparently, reports had the new network chief hoping that Tapper was going to be the new face of primetime.  That didn't look like it was going to happen.

Had the ratings improved, they ‘likely’ would’ve kept him there in prime time. Also, Tapper wasn’t too keen on working the night shift anyway.

Given the competition they have at this hour(s), they're going to need someone with a strong presence (it's admittedly what the viewers at this hour want) unless they just boost CNN International hours and air lots of Newsroom. In my opinion, Jake just isn't the "face" of the network they must be seeking for primetime. Not really sure who or what could be that right now.

• Like 2

On 11/3/2022 at 7:46 PM, Roadrunner said:

Given the competition they have at this hour(s), they're going to need someone with a strong presence (it's admittedly what the viewers at this hour want) unless they just boost CNN International hours and air lots of Newsroom. In my opinion, Jake just isn't the "face" of the network they must be seeking for primetime. Not really sure who or what could be that right now.

I must say... with Shepherd Smith now off CNBC, perhaps he'd get a call?

• Like 2

On 11/2/2022 at 8:38 PM, iron_lion said:

Indiewire says CNN will start cutting back on documentaries as a cost cutting measure. This, I'm actually disappointed about because their documentaries are pretty good. 'The Story of Late Night' was extremely well done.

Reported this morning - first announced casualtyThis Is Life with Lisa Ling. CNN ending its deal with Part 2 Pictures means the 8-year program isn't coming back. The very brief Chasing Life with Sanjay Gupta likely isn't coming back either, since they come from the same production company. I'm really bearish on the rest of the shows, like Tucci's, as well to be honest. We'll probably get a lot more one-night political films like the Jimmy Carter one from last year or the Gabby Giffords one they have coming up -- obviously far less expensive than something like the long-form series.

Speaking of departures, news broke yesterday that Laura Jarrett is headed for NBC -- joining Ryan Nobles there. It wasn't that long ago that it was CNN who was basically absorbing via osmosis, everybody from everywhere, but of course, that's not happening anymore. Means Christine's going to need another new co-host or she just does it solo from here on out since the program really hasn't been the same since it was trimmed to an hour during COVID. Truthfully, Early Start needs its own retooling because it's really pretty stale but then again, if budgets are this tight, they'll probably just let it stay that way anyways.

On 11/3/2022 at 7:46 PM, Roadrunner said:

And I just wanted to log this for the chronicle of the CNN soap opera itself. Quoting myself + subsequent replies about this new "face" of the network, this from their recent inside Town Hall meeting suggests that they are, indeed, considering something and someone totally new. God forbid they get another Piers-esque presence on the show, at worst. Whatever floats their boat -- I mean, pre-2016, Chris Wallace probably could've fit right in but now, he's just there on Sundays after being promised something special. Anyways, lastly, Chris Licht did an in-depth with Kara Swisher on her pod about all the changes he's made. TVNewser has some excerpts for some quick reading. Little memento: it says he "seemed surprised" at the thought of Shep Smith being considered as a face for primetime. 

More soul-searching ahead.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Glimmer said:

That’s a shame. It was a nice alternative to the other offerings cable news had in the mornings.

Hopefully Robin sees this as an opportunity to go back into local TV. She’d be much better there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Glimmer said:

I assume this means RIP Original News Programming on HLN, January 1, 1982-December 4?, 2022

Edited by hmaxhanson
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

That’s a shame. It was a nice alternative to the other offerings cable news had in the mornings.

Hopefully Robin sees this as an opportunity to go back into local TV. She’d be much better there.

If NewsNation blows this chance to get her on Morning in America they're completely lost. This is one case where you go for it, current talent be damned.

And why Discovery is still not considering winding down networks continues to be beyond me; I know the RTC is why, but there is no reason for Destination America and Discovery Family to be on the air. Now with HLN there are 5-6 channels that should be gone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would hope the simulcast of CNN This Morning is temporary. If not than HLN will still be run on the cheap with different programming. I would've thought Robin would stick around considering her popularity.

Not everyone liked Chris Cillizza but I actually liked his "The Point" videos. I hope everyone lands somewhere soon.