CNN: The Continuing Soap Opera

Eat News

[disclaimer, fully pessimistic views below]

I've just been passively following along all of these developments from the network since they announced these changes, and I just feel kind of dead inside staring at what seems to be a limp fish. I'm just imaging that they're going to keep evolving and evolving and evolving their program lineups until it all spontaneously combusts or something. Alisyn Camerota and John Berman and the New Day format worked well, having built up all of that "goodwill" particularly during the 2016-2020 era, and there was never a need to break them up, and you could see that dissent from all the viewer reactions in their comments sections. Brianna always did best when she was given her own seat and platform, without a doubt. The 2021 changes really never made any sense to me. And of course, the guy who really spearheaded these changes isn't even there anymore.

So here we are with another new morning program -- does Don Lemon really appeal to the center for a morning show, if they're supposedly trying to move away from their purported progressive reputation? OTOH, does Poppy Harlow really get any progressive-leaning viewer on the edge of their seats to hear her perspectives? Everyone wants to eat their cake and have it too in the morning business, but I can't be the only person who ultimately thinks that their former schedule had slightly more substance for the network to begin with. I'm just not sensing any clear direction here, because as the old adage goes, by trying to please everyone, they please no one.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

What weird parallels CNN and CBS have had lately. First was the CBSTM graphics which is heavily inspired by CNN, now CNN seemingly taking inspiration from CBS's morning show. The latter might be reading into it a bit, but it's still two very interesting "coincidences" with them.

It isn't really coincidental. The new guys running CNN used to run CBS This Morning.

• Like 3

1. Can we rename this thread?

2. Do we think Chris Licht and Discovery will unveil new graphics for CNN sometime soon? The current package has been around since August 2014 (Jeff Zucker took over January 2013), with the only real change being the font in April 2016 (and maybe some of the gradients?). I think it works but I would like to see something a little smaller, and where the main banner text doesn't have to keep getting squished to fit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

1. Can we rename this thread?

2. Do we think Chris Licht and Discovery will unveil new graphics for CNN sometime soon? The current package has been around since August 2014 (Jeff Zucker took over January 2013), with the only real change being the font in April 2016 (and maybe some of the gradients?). I think it works but I would like to see something a little smaller, and where the main banner text doesn't have to keep getting squished to fit.

A better question:

3. When do we think they'll blow up HLN and turn it into something that isn't 79% true crime shows?

• Like 3

• 24994J changed the title to CNN: The Continuing Soap Opera
1 hour ago, mre29 said:

A better question:

3. When do we think they'll blow up HLN and turn it into something that isn't 79% true crime shows?

Well, earlier this year it was announced that they renewed Forensic Files II for two more seasons, so it looks like we might be stuck with HLN's current formula for 2 more years.

• Sad 3

CNN This Morning now has a promo. Key line for me is when Poppy Harlow says "We need to cover more, what is happening across America." They also mention needing to inform viewers in either 5 or 15 minutes. Seems to indicate it will be less focused on DC politics and a higher story count (which is what New Day has been doing lately).

Background graphics at the end seem to have light wood tones, and the three anchors are in a well-lit cafe with brick walls. Wonder if either of that hints at the new graphics or set.

• Like 1

In terms of copying CBS This Morning ( I can't get with the new title CBS mornings ) I wish GMA and Today would follow CTM's lead with better story choices instead of pop culture and tabloid level human interest pieces. Does this work for CNN? It remains to be seen. Do I have high hopes for this? No. BUT, whatever keeps them from talking about HIM for 18 hours is a step in the right direction.

Possible antidote: hard news and non argumentative (preferably non-panel) analysis from a variety of subject matter.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's not just the 6-9 a.m. slot that's getting a makeover on Tuesday. CNN/U.S. will air CNN International's new London-based CNN Newsroom with Max Foster and Bianca Nobilo at 4 a.m. This looks to be replacing Early Start with Christine Romans and Laura Jarrett, which has occupied the 5 a.m. hour. [Removed my apparently incorrect guess]

https://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2022/10/27/cnn-newsroom-with-max-foster-and-bianca-nobilo-joins-new-cnn-line-up/

Any idea why these changes are happening on Tuesday and not Monday?

Edited by Geoffrey

19 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

It's not just the 6-9 a.m. slot that's getting a makeover on Tuesday. CNN/U.S. will air CNN International's new London-based CNN Newsroom with Max Foster and Bianca Nobilo at 4 a.m. This looks to be replacing Early Start with Christine Romans and Laura Jarrett, which has occupied the 5 a.m. hour.

https://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2022/10/27/cnn-newsroom-with-max-foster-and-bianca-nobilo-joins-new-cnn-line-up/

Any idea why these changes are happening on Tuesday and not Monday?

Maybe because it’s the first of the month? That’s my best guess.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

And it’s also the last sweeps month of the year.

Plus it's perfect to tie into 'one week until the election' 'down the stretching' coverage (which of course turns into a 2024 preview 🙄...there are many people that don't care about elections after November 9 but they don't seem to be heard any longer by cable news).

9 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Maybe because it’s the first of the month? That’s my best guess.

Just seems strange to me to start on a Tuesday when Monday isn't a holiday. 

8 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

And it’s also the last sweeps month of the year.

The November sweeps month actually starts today, but I have noticed that it seems like CNN (and other cable news networks?) don't care about it the way broadcast networks and local stations do.

6 hours ago, Drew said:

From what I’ve seen this is only an hour along newscast in cnn us it’s 2 hours on cnni

I think you're right and thank you for the correction! (I was looking at my YouTube TV guide and didn't see Early Start listed past Monday, but now I see that I was looking only at October.)

3 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

Small peek at CNN This Morning's graphics and set.

image.thumb.png.e59d2481ddbf8990c07888b97f3929df.png

If this and the promo are any indicators at the graphics and set it honestly doesn't seem to be any different than when New Day first launched which is a major disappointment, but I won't put my two cents in on the appearance and judge for another six hours

Well it's a new day at CNN...

-CNN Newsroom International at 4am Eastern debuted with with an updated open and sound. Interestingly there was a lot of co-anchor chit chat between stories which is unusual for CNNI.

-Early Start was trying a few new things, one of which was a bad start. Christine Romans was standing at a monitor for pre-show teases. Then they rolled the open, which is only about 4 seconds, and apparently expected her to race back to her seat in that time.....which didn't happen. The open revealed to her just about to sit down. Story count is also higher with dedicated segments to hit stories around the nation/world. (It had a funky name but I can't remember what it was.)

-CNN This Morning....overall a pretty good debut so far. A bit of a chat off the top talking about the show's debut. (In contrast to New Day's almost non-existent goodbye). I'm liking the color pallet. Light woods tones. The show open is unique for CNN. Though I'm not liking how the "This Morning" text renders as a result of the 3D lighting effect. The sound is piano based and much more calm than New Day was. The CNN logo has an interesting texture on it. Almost like snakeskin. They have custom post-open tease graphics which are ugly and do not match any other part of the new look.

They have also been leaving the anchor mics open as they toss to break letting us hear them chat or whatever. I don't see that effect lasting long. The studio is nice but it's my understanding this is temporary? They did a segment standing at a rectangular counter in an area that I would call "kitchen inspired" with props and such. Dr. Sanjay Gupta was there with a model brain to illustrate a story. 

Edited by PTVNews
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So far I like the feel of CNN This Morning. The way the CNN part of the logo animates in the open reminds me of CNNI designs. The rest of the look feels a lot brighter and "more airy" than the previous red and black New Day look, which used a lot of black and white photos and had a dramatic theme that did not feel at all designed for a morning show. 

I like the teaming of Poppy, Don and Kaitlan. All are familiar faces to CNN viewers so it's not like anyone has to get used to new people. They all seem very eager to remind people that they have to wake up early -- feels like a tired comment, especially to make several times in an hour.

The set, if it is indeed temporary, looks pretty nice, even if it is mostly "flat." I like that the backdrop behind the anchors isn't just another NYC skyline -- it has the Brooklyn Bridge on the right, the Golden Gate on the left, with the White House, Chicago and the Hollywood sign in between (and I'm sure a few others that I missed). (I remember when Chris Licht's CBS This Morning debuted in 2012, they also tried to include shots from around the country next to the logo bug, and they even made sure to include farmlands in the photography in the lower-thirds -- didn't spot any farms on CNN today.)

As far as substance, it feels a lot like New Day the last few months: Not dominated by political panels debating the same few topics all hour every hour. Not sure if it hits the promise of informing viewers if they only have 5 or 15 minutes, as mentioned in the promo, but I didn't expect this to be the old CNN Headline News.

It's just amazing how much brighter colors and music can affect the feel of a show.

• Like 2