CNN: The Continuing Soap Opera

Eat News

On 8/18/2022 at 1:47 PM, TheRob said:

About a two years ago I though CNN was hopeless and done for, then a few rays of light in the post Zucker era. Will CNN finally be great again? Don't want to get my hopes up because the 2024 election is right around the corner so CNN might go back to non stop Trump coverage mode.

Never forget when Ted Koppel told Brian Stelter the reality of what CNN had become:

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/18/2022 at 7:36 PM, CLETVFan said:

Chris Licht is obviously cleaning house.  It is not a surprise that Brian wasn't going to last under new management.

Let us hope that Don Lemon and Oliver Darcy would be next to get the sack.....but, then again, I'm not going to hold my breath for that one.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, detroiter313 said:

Let us hope that Don Lemon and Oliver Darcy would be next to get the sack.....but, then again, I'm not going to hold my breath for that one.

On the TVNT Discord, there was a post shared from TheWrap that Lemon and Jim Acosta are staying put, for now. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Former ABC News & CBS News Correspondent and former NYPD Deputy Commissioner of Intelligence & Counter-terrorism John Miller is now CNN's Chief Law Enforcement and Intelligence Analyst.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/cnn-hires-former-nypd-cbs-news-correspondent-john-miller-1235212889/

• Like 2

And we have problems already. Muslim groups are sounding alarm bells over CNN hiring John Miller as its chief law enforcement and intelligence analyst.

https://nypost.com/2022/09/08/muslim-groups-slam-cnn-for-hiring-ex-nypd-official-john-miller/

Miller, a former NYPD official, "told the City Council earlier this year that the department never engaged in illegal surveillance of Muslim Americans after 9/11." Contrary to what he said, the department acknowledged that they did engage in said illegal surveillance (which was the subject of a Pulitzer Prize-winning report from the Associated Press in 2011) following the events of 9/11, with New York City Mayor and retired NYPD captain Eric Adams saying, "What we did was wrong." It also admitted that the program did not produce any leads to a terrorist plot. Yet, even after those, he continually refused to admit that there was any wrongdoing by the NYPD.

Thus, Muslim Advocates have called CNN's hiring of Miller "a cruel joke" and are convinced Miller will pick up from where he left off and continue to "propagandize on behalf of law enforcement and dismiss clear discrimination against Muslims and other marginalized communities."

Edited by DJonNews
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, DJonNews said:

And we have problems already. Muslim groups are sounding alarm bells over CNN hiring John Miller as its chief law enforcement and intelligence analyst.

https://nypost.com/2022/09/08/muslim-groups-slam-cnn-for-hiring-ex-nypd-official-john-miller/

Miller, a former NYPD official, "told the City Council earlier this year that the department never engaged in illegal surveillance of Muslim Americans after 9/11." Contrary to what he said, the department acknowledged that they did engage in said illegal surveillance (which was the subject of a Pulitzer Prize-winning report from the Associated Press in 2011) following the events of 9/11, with New York City Mayor and retired NYPD captain Eric Adams saying, "What we did was wrong." It also admitted that the program did not produce any leads to a terrorist plot. Yet, even after those, he continually refused to admit that there was any wrongdoing by the NYPD.

Thus, Muslim Advocates have called CNN's hiring of Miller "a cruel joke" and are convinced Miller will pick up from where he left off and continue to "propagandize on behalf of law enforcement and dismiss clear discrimination against Muslims and other marginalized communities."

From a purely journalistic standpoint, this is a serious issue. However, I don’t think it will do much to negatively impact CNN here. While the stigma against Muslims in this country has decreased somewhat, news outlets of every sort still have a level of deference toward national security analysts. I’m personally not a fan of having that much deference, but that’s the status quo across every American news outlet, for better or worse.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 1

What did CNN have before American Morning? 

Personally CNN should just stick to hard news in the morning, maybe with an international slant. Whether that would be competitive with Morning Joe or Fox & Friends remains to be seen. Hopefully whatever they try isn't as opinionated as New Day. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

What did CNN have before American Morning? 

Personally CNN should just stick to hard news in the morning, maybe with an international slant. Whether that would be competitive with Morning Joe or Fox & Friends remains to be seen. Hopefully whatever they try isn't as opinionated as New Day. 

They had Early Edition and CNN Live This Morning.

• Thanks 2

For the last 4 weeks of the midterms (October 10-November 8), Jake Tapper will be anchoring the 9pm hour with Laura Coates and Alisyn Camerota co-anchoring two hours at 10pm.  At the same time, John Berman and Brianna Keilar will be leaving New Day to co-anchor Tapper’s show, The Lead.

No word on if these moves are permanent but I’ll be shocked if they’re not.

Here's the new schedule:

CNN Special Midterm Election Programming Schedule:

4pm-5pm ET: The Lead, anchored by John Berman/Brianna Keilar

5pm-7pm ET: The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer

7pm-8pm ET: Erin Burnett OutFront

8pm-9pm ET: Anderson Cooper 360

9pm ET: CNN Tonight, Jake Tapper

10pm-12am ET: CNN Tonight, Alisyn Camerota and Laura Coates

Don Lemon and Poppy Harlow will sign off their respective programs on Friday, October 7th to begin work on the network’s new morning news show launching later this year. Both will continue to appear across the network until then. Fill-in hosts for other programs will be announced in the coming days.

It'll be interesting if some of this sticks after the midterms, if so its going to be a complete schedule shake up. I'm glad they gave Wolf an extra hour and left Erin and Anderson alone, for now. 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'll just leave this there...

AP NEWS: Trump files $475 million defamation lawsuit against CNN

CNN is the subject of a $475 million defamation lawsuit filed by who else? None other than former President Donald J. Trump. Why? Because he claims CNN smeared his reputation on purpose (that's a lie), conspired to short-circuit his future political campaigns (also a lie), and overused the term "The Big Lie," which refers to Trump's false claims of widespread fraud that he says cost him the 2020 election.

Yep. At a time when we're trying to move on from him, let's devote yet another week to Trump vs. CNN! I'm sure that will go over well with the public! 🤦‍♂️

Oh, and as far as the lawsuit? Laughable at best.

Edited by DJonNews
  • Sad 1

New Day definitely has a higher story count these days. It seemed like they would get to like three or four stories an hour and just "discuss" them the entire hour. This worldwide recap is nice but the production music makes it feel cheap.

• Sad 1

We finally have a name... CNN This Morning

CNN This Morning will launch from a temporary studio in New York while it's new set is being built. 

"The show’s new theme will be “bringing the world home” to the audience, the network will be trying some new technical tricks, and will keep viewers up-to-date with on-screen reminders of segments on the show that are still to come." CNN SVP of Content Strategy Ryan Kadro said. CNN TM will launch November 1st at 6AM ET. 

Sound familiar? Like what was said when Chris & Ryan launched CBS This Morning....

“We’re going to put the full power of CNN’s newsgathering on display because we can do that better than anybody”

I'll believe it when I see it...

More here: https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/cnns-new-morning-show-will-launch-nov-1-as-cnn-this-morning/516430/

Edited by jrogo
updates link
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jrogo said:

We finally have a name... CNN This Morning

CNN This Morning will launch from a temporary studio in New York while it's new set is being built. 

"The show’s new theme will be “bringing the world home” to the audience, the network will be trying some new technical tricks, and will keep viewers up-to-date with on-screen reminders of segments on the show that are still to come." CNN SVP of Content Strategy Ryan Kadro said. CNN TM will launch November 1st at 6AM ET. 

Sound familiar? Like what was said when Chris & Ryan launched CBS This Morning....

“We’re going to put the full power of CNN’s newsgathering on display because we can do that better than anybody”

I'll believe it when I see it...

More here: https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/cnns-new-morning-show-will-launch-nov-1-as-cnn-this-morning/516430/

What weird parallels CNN and CBS have had lately. First was the CBSTM graphics which is heavily inspired by CNN, now CNN seemingly taking inspiration from CBS's morning show. The latter might be reading into it a bit, but it's still two very interesting "coincidences" with them.

• Like 1

• 24994J changed the title to CNN: The Continuing Soap Opera