CNN: The Continuing Soap Opera

Eat News

More evidence CNN has completely lost it's way...

Note the byline in the KUSI story..

CNN requests KUSI for local view on the border, declines our reporter after finding out wall works

January 10, 2019

https://www.kusi.com/cnn-requests-kusi-for-local-view-on-the-border-declines-our-reporter-after-finding-out-wall-works/

Edited by Eat News
WJSN-WJ Stay? Full Album https://youtu.be/tzNc8lzgBR8
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Eat News said:

More evidence CNN has completely lost it's way...

Note the byline in the KUSI story..

CNN requests KUSI for local view on the border, declines our reporter after finding out wall works

January 10, 2019

https://www.kusi.com/cnn-requests-kusi-for-local-view-on-the-border-declines-our-reporter-after-finding-out-wall-works/

This one line may not help KUSI’s objective reporting:

KUSI offered our own Dan Plante, who has reported dozens of times on the border, including one story from 2016 that was retweeted by former Speaker of the House, Newt Gingrich, and posted on DrudgeReport.com. The Border Fence Tour is below.

It did seem some what political (from a liberal perspective)

And since when did CNN air packages direct from stations unless intended for NewsSource?  

Edit: Also it’s possible CNN wanted not only reports from the boots on the ground but vox pops of those affected. 

Edited by rkolsen
Clarification

5 hours ago, rkolsen said:

This one line may not help KUSI’s objective reporting:

It did seem some what political (from a liberal perspective)

And since when did CNN air packages direct from stations unless intended for NewsSource?  

Edit: Also it’s possible CNN wanted not only reports from the boots on the ground but vox pops of those affected. 

Seems like a good, cautious move on CNN’s part. If this particular report was being shared previously by sites like Drudge, it raised some red flags.

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 3

Nobody has accused KUSI of any bias...and CNN is not denying this happened.

This is just another example of the Suicide of CNN....a once proud network that has even ditched the use and guidelines of the "AP Style Book"..."

If anyone here is actually interested in how to be an TRUE unbiased reporter, you may want to get an extra copy and send it to the CNN National Desk.

https://www.amazon.com/Associated-Press-Stylebook-2019-Briefing/dp/1541699890?SubscriptionId=AKIAIM5JVG3GDQSEKGFA&tag=legaloutlet.com-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=1541699890

image.png.a0730bd5542822d38ff5c0fb2b3df763.png

Edited by Eat News
Cheeze- How Do You Think https://youtu.be/Frs7j21R4Cc
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Eat News said:

This is just another example of the Suicide of CNN....a once proud network that has even ditched the use and guidelines of the "AP Style Book"..."

If anyone here is actually interested in how to be an TRUE unbiased reporter, you may want to get an extra copy and send it to the CNN National Desk.

https://www.amazon.com/Associated-Press-Stylebook-2019-Briefing/dp/1541699890?SubscriptionId=AKIAIM5JVG3GDQSEKGFA&tag=legaloutlet.com-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=1541699890

image.png.a0730bd5542822d38ff5c0fb2b3df763.png

Best book out there. Period.

The only thing I can’t get past is CNN requesting a package from KUSI a station known with a conservative bent. When there’s breaking news in San Diego who do they most likely turn to? I’m betting KFMB or KGTV for immediate reports on the ground. Maybe KUSI for images.

8 hours ago, Eat News said:

To be fair the CNN ditched the AP as a source years ago.  Many large news organizations have developed their style guides such as the BBC.  Reuter’s unsurprisingly has their own online.  I’m sure many others have their own. 

1 hour ago, rkolsen said:

The only thing I can’t get past is CNN requesting a package from KUSI a station known with a conservative bent. When there’s breaking news in San Diego who do they most likely turn to? I’m betting KFMB or KGTV for immediate reports on the ground. Maybe KUSI for images.

To be fair the CNN ditched the AP as a source years ago.  Many large news organizations have developed their style guides such as the BBC.  Reuter’s unsurprisingly has their own online.  I’m sure many others have their own. 

And to be fair...

KUSI subscribes to CNN.

Every other CNN affil in San Diego was asked first and refused....and CNN was welcome to send a crew to the border to ask..."are you for or against the wall"?

CNN didn't get the response they wanted so they were welcome to ask all the other local CNN newsource clients in San Diego or Imperial county.

Notice we didn't hear if CNN contacted KYMA with the same request.

And refusal to follow even the basic guidelines established for and by real professional journalist...such as the use of ANY type of style book including the CNN guidelines is an outrage.

So what if CNN ditched AP as a source, does that make it OK to ditch the established guidelines taught in J schools across the country...the same guidelines you are expected to follow when a VJ or a reporter is hired by CNN?

AP style books used to be included in your "CNN VJ welcome Package"...and you were required to SIGN and date that you read that book which included the AP style guide as part of that packet.

Newsflash!

KUSI also dropped all the wire services  down to the absolute minimum needed to feed the KUSI website. KUSI also dropped CNS (City News Service) so now KUSI has the most organic news gathering in town.

Don't tell people in San Diego that KUSI is "right slanted" because people here would just say....

"That's news to us".

The KUSI newsroom is full of people of color, and LGBT folks who are very out and proud (and on the air daily)...so all those cards are out of play.

Finally....before I put this thread to bed.

CNN could have sent a crew to the border to ask people in this area how they felt...but the CNN National Desk is well aware that that would have been a huge waste of money. It was easier just to call the "locals" and see if they would help CNN with it's twisted idea of journalism.

I guess FNC has Enrique Morones locked into an exclusive deal ,because CNN would die to get him on the air with the anti-wall opinion...money talks CNN.

I can promise you there are plenty of copies of the AP and Reuters stylebooks in the FOX brainrooms and newsrooms.

CNN is dead.

When they re-adopt established journalistic guidelines they might be considered a real news organization once again.

Source fairly...and always have more than one source...basic stuff.

Any CNN alums want to chime in here?

Edited by Eat News
I support the WHCA movement to remove CNN from the "front rows" of all WH briefings...until they re-establish proper journalistic guidelines.
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

Could Mediaite at least *try* to hide their biases?  That short statement from Steve Cohen doesn't even admit defeat or backtracking from KUSI. 

And you all wonder why CNN and all of these media companies are called Fake News? Then KUSI does *1* little thing, oh god what a disaster; state run propaganda! Oh but it's ok, CNN, MSNBC, and everyone else can continue their TrumpBash2K20 all day long.

DOA. 

• Like 3

All very good points @Eat News. My opinion of them being conservative is the fact they mentioned they were shared by Drudge, Newt Gingrich and a Former Speaker of the House. To me it would have helped their case if they mentioned other outlets that have shared their content. In addition to the comments/followers/favorites/likes  their reporters and photojournalists have made on social media. 

Also, they made an appearance on The Ingraham Angle.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure there is an email trail on this...but since KUSI is a CNN subscriber releasing or leaking those emails may just create a whole different (internal) sh*tstorm for both CNN and KUSI.

KUSI is not the only newssource affiliate to encounter problems with the national desk and NewsSource.  The degradation of established journalistic standards at CNN have contributed to a marked "change of relationships" with many affiliate's, and a few station groups .

Does anyone really think Sinclair wants to keep up a relationship with CNN?  Do they even have a relationship with CNN anymore?

Can we all say "subscriber fees"?

Some affiliates pay more than others, and some don't pay at all.

The hard left dive that CNN has taken is starting to annoy some affiliates...PAID subscribers who signed-on to CNN when they were a reputable newsgathering operation.

It looks like (to this shark) that KUSI has decided to bring that internal rift to the surface.  KUSI  might have pulled a "gotcha" on CNN, just to expose this issue.

We have a few folks here that deal with the CNN desk(s) on a daily basis...and those folks  sit in on the conference calls, so it's no secret this has been bubbling under the surface for quit awhile with more than one station in the CNN affiliate system.

There are contracts...

...and those contracts will need to be renewed...or maybe not.

Edited by Eat News
Removed the doorbell licker pic.
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

UPDATE: KUSI didn’t retract, they’re standing by their story.

https://twitter.com/KUSINews/status/1084147388434927616

You are darn right (bad pun) KUSI is standing behind the story...and you can be 100% sure they are behind the author of the story.

Mike McKinnon III

https://www.kusi.com/author/mdmckinnon/

I believe KUSI is "calling out" CNN on behalf of some some angry affiliates.

Mike McKinnon III fronted that story for a reason and it's a shot across the bow directed at NewsSource.

Or maybe Mike Sr. doesn't care if the kid takes the hit if this all goes sideways.

Edited by Eat News
Put that in your pipe and smoke it Scott Jones.

• 1 month later...

Sorry if this is sort of offtopic. However, I never knew how often news stations "pool" or use media from other sources. Particularly CNN NewsSource. Although, I can't say I'm surprised. Must be a hell of a lot cheaper than having journalists and reporters everywhere.  Now that I think about it and "look out" for it, I notice it. Sometimes it's plain as day when certain stations forget to cut their stream before CNN NewsSource does 😛

On 1/12/2019 at 5:04 PM, Eat News said:

and some don't pay at all

That's a shock. 

We have a few folks here that deal with the CNN desk(s) on a daily basis...and those folks  sit in on the conference calls, so it's no secret this has been bubbling under the surface for quit awhile with more than one station in the CNN affiliate system.

Can you elaborate? 

Edited by kmetz

The hard left dive that CNN has taken is starting to annoy some affiliates...PAID subscribers who signed-on to CNN when they were a reputable newsgathering operation.

I haven’t really paid attention to the NewSource produced packages but the ones from their affiliates are usually solid reporting. 

Also CNN may be turning right as they hired someone just from the White House as their political editor. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know its like assuming WBBM or KYW will shutdown their news departments, but is it plausible for CNN US to just go away? I travel extensively, and I really like CNN International's coverage. CNN International should be the REAL CNN. I know the days of Judy Woodruff, Bernie Shaw, Lou Waters and Bobbie Battista will never return, CNNI would definitely be a strong second in my book.

• Confused 1

On 5/6/2019 at 9:42 PM, FiveNews said:

I know its like assuming WBBM or KYW will shutdown their news departments, but is it plausible for CNN US to just go away?

How about if HLN goes away instead?

37 minutes ago, mre29 said:

How about if HLN goes away instead?

HLN still has some dignity left...and often beats the mother ship in ratings in many dayparts. HLN is the "escape pod" of CNN.

1 hour ago, Eat News said:

HLN still has some dignity left...and often beats the mother ship in ratings in many dayparts. HLN is the "escape pod" of CNN.

So merge them and keep the strong shows from each.

On 5/6/2019 at 9:42 PM, FiveNews said:

is it plausible for CNN US to just go away?

not. one. bit.

There are some people who still like and watch CNN US no matter what problems it has. Yeah yeah, online--but just because you don't like it, shouldn't mean others should lose what they consider their news source. It's like asking if it's plausible for Fox News or MSNBC to go away.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

not. one. bit.

There are some people who still like and watch CNN US no matter what problems it has. Yeah yeah, online--but just because you don't like it, shouldn't mean others should lose what they consider their news source. It's like asking if it's plausible for Fox News or MSNBC to go away.

Actually, I would like for all cable news networks to go away...

They serve no logistical purpose other than to pollute the mainstream cycles with garbage and to blatantly grab for ratings. There is zero integrity with any of the news channels.

MSNBC if they can convert to the NBC News Channel maybe, but yeah; I said what I said.

• Like 1

• Eat News changed the title to The Suicide of CNN.."Goodbye Cruel World."
  • 24994J changed the title to CNN: The Continuing Soap Opera