WTVD New Graphics, Set?

24994J

Based on some rehearsal video, Raleigh-Durham's ABC O&O appears to be close to debuting an updated graphic package and remodeled streetside newsroom set in Raleigh. I picked these images up from the creative service department's Vimeo account. I'd link the video, but a dry run from last week was taken down, so this probably won't last long, either.

The opens appear to be the same as before, the full screens are from KABC, but the lower thirds are new and unique to ABC11. Oh, and they're huge.

Screenshot_2018-08-28-11-52-01.thumb.png.f10a2bb843d2896da53fa3a575b76036.png

Meanwhile, the set features a brand new desk, and several monitors, including a huge 4x4 wall that looks to be almost 10 feet tall. Despite the new design, the anchor backdrop maintains an open view of the newsroom.

Screenshot_2018-08-28-11-54-03.thumb.png.1d8469800ee5ded587dcb0c75a3ff690.png

Overall, it's an okay update. It's very evolutionary, and looks better than KFSN, within the group.

Screenshot_2018-08-28-11-51-49.thumb.png.201bb9cf2d0866fe7d3a73cd3b5d5640.png

Screenshot_2018-08-28-11-54-54.thumb.png.3ea7cd6139c8e48e65fc1f49aac080d7.png

2096346314_Screenshot_2018-08-28-11-54-091.thumb.png.ef21c429e79b1a93598ce52db0a77572.png

Raleigh-Durham's ABC O&O appears to be close to debuting an updated graphic package and remodeled streetside newsroom set in Raleigh. I picked these images up from the creative service department's Vimeo account. Is link the video, but a rehearsal video from last week was taken down, so this probably won't last long, either.

The opens appear to be the same as before, the full screens are reminiscent of KABC, but the lower thirds are new and unique to ABC11. Oh, and they're huge.

[ATTACH=full]6399[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]6400[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]6401[/ATTACH]

Meanwhile, the set features a brand new desk, and several monitors, including a huge 4x4 wall that looks to be almost 10 feet tall. Despite the new design, the anchor backdrop maintains an open view of the newsroom.

[ATTACH=full]6402[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]6403[/ATTACH]

Overall, it's an okay update. It's very evolutionary, and looks better than KFSN, within the group.

Judging by the screen below the news desk, it is possibly the KGO-KFSN-KABC graphics.

That newsroom setup is very claustrophobic and gives me anxiety looking at it. I hate how off centered it is too. That wood panel to the right bugs me because of it, and the frosted glass to the left seems too close. Not to mention you can see the cables running to the desk. Yikes.

This isn't the gold standard clearly, but I miss when newsroom sets were the norm.

Anyway, I kinda like the setup - wish I could see them animate. Definitely better than "everything's a box," that's for sure.

The reflection of the studio on the monitor wall is really bad.

Interesting to hear that they are using NG1 Just like KGO which also uses that cut.

The background seems like a generic version of the ABC O&O West Graphics package that they got.

Honestly, I don't know what to make of this graphics package and set. First, it looks like the graphics are still trying to be 4:3 safe when everyone else has long went to 16:9. Second, I'm with Journalist in saying that the kerning on the L3s is trash. Finally, are you sure the set isn't temporary? It looks temporary to me. Overall, WTVD may be getting a little cocky since they've been in second for eternity when WRAL has long been first and WNCN has long had irrelevance.

Yes, and I think the noon news, plus the 5:30pm half hour, if that's still a split anchored hour.

When I lived in Raleigh I believe they produced the 6pm show there for a period of time as well. Plus if there are any major events going on downtown like the Christmas parade, they'll generally originate all newscasts from down there as well.

Doesn't look temporary to me.

[ATTACH=full]6406[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]6405[/ATTACH]

But, the layout looks a tad backwards. What I mean is that the anchors' backs should be facing the street, whereas the weather should be in another part of the set (or done at the Durham studios).

But, the layout looks a tad backwards. What I mean is that the anchors' backs should be facing the street, whereas the weather should be in another part of the set (or done at the Durham studios).

Well WABC, WLS and WTVD's Raleigh streetside desks all face toward the street so passerbys can see their faces, only standups is when their backs is toward the street.

This was what the Raleigh studios used to look like:

And here's the Durham studio (It's the 10pm newscast not the 11pm):

Looks really good. Nice refresh. Looks like they're trying to get ahead of RAL which is likely to make some changes in the near future and NCN which recently rolled out a new set. Desk looks a little cramped with 3 on it. They announced their morning show will broadcast permanently from this set. I imagine their 4th anchor, traffic, and the weather anchor will ultimately stand if all are at the desk at once. Now it's time to overhaul their Durham set which needs it desperately. [GALLERY=media, 1083]CaptureOld Set by FmrENCNewser posted Aug 29, 2018 at 12:56 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 1082]Capture8 by FmrENCNewser posted Aug 29, 2018 at 12:56 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 1081]Capture7 by FmrENCNewser posted Aug 29, 2018 at 12:56 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 1080]Capture6 by FmrENCNewser posted Aug 29, 2018 at 12:56 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 1079]Capture5 by FmrENCNewser posted Aug 29, 2018 at 12:56 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 1078]Capture3 by FmrENCNewser posted Aug 29, 2018 at 12:56 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 1077]Capture2 by FmrENCNewser posted Aug 29, 2018 at 12:56 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 1076]Capture1 by FmrENCNewser posted Aug 29, 2018 at 12:56 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 1075]Capture by FmrENCNewser posted Aug 29, 2018 at 12:56 PM[/GALLERY]

As a person

Looks really good. Nice refresh. Looks like they're trying to get ahead of RAL which is likely to make some changes in the near future and NCN which recently rolled out a new set. Desk looks a little cramped with 3 on it. They announced their morning show will broadcast permanently from this set. I imagine their 4th anchor, traffic, and the weather anchor will ultimately stand if all are at the desk at once. Now it's time to overhaul their Durham set which needs it desperately. [GALLERY=media, 1083]CaptureOld Set by FmrENCNewser posted Aug 29, 2018 at 12:56 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 1082]Capture8 by FmrENCNewser posted Aug 29, 2018 at 12:56 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 1081]Capture7 by FmrENCNewser posted Aug 29, 2018 at 12:56 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 1080]Capture6 by FmrENCNewser posted Aug 29, 2018 at 12:56 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 1079]Capture5 by FmrENCNewser posted Aug 29, 2018 at 12:56 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 1078]Capture3 by FmrENCNewser posted Aug 29, 2018 at 12:56 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 1077]Capture2 by FmrENCNewser posted Aug 29, 2018 at 12:56 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 1076]Capture1 by FmrENCNewser posted Aug 29, 2018 at 12:56 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 1075]Capture by FmrENCNewser posted Aug 29, 2018 at 12:56 PM[/GALLERY]

They also expanded the Raleigh newsroom as well.

ABC REALLY needs to hub or at least standardize...

I was going to ask if ABC standardizes graphics across their eight stations. I was in Danbury, CT, this weekend for my nephew's birthday party and had a chance to watch all of the NYC stations as that's what the hotel had. I found WABC's graphics to be somewhat cheap-looking, and the particular shade of blue used as a background on a lot of them looks like it might be the exact blue Microsoft used to have on the Windows "blue screen of death"...which is probably not what was intended. ;) Basically, WTVD's new graphics look much better.

Archived