WBOC to acquire WRDE Coast TV

15 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Amazing what they can do with LPTV in HD. It's almost like a real TV station with a real signal. LPTV in analog was crap. Why aren't they on the WBOC-TV signal?

My guess is they didn’t want to downgrade their main stations PQ.  According to Wikipedia the carry CBS in 1080i with Antenna TV and Fox in SD.

Worth noting that the whole area has multiple NBC affiliates on cable. In the Maryland portion you get WRDE, WBAL and WRC. In Delaware you get WRDE, WBAL and WCAU.

1 hour ago, rkolsen said:

My guess is they didn’t want to downgrade their main stations PQ.  According to Wikipedia the carry CBS in 1080i with Antenna TV and Fox in SD.

Worth noting that the whole area has multiple NBC affiliates on cable. In the Maryland portion you get WRDE, WBAL and WRC. In Delaware you get WRDE, WBAL and WCAU.

I get it, considering the crappy picture quality, it looks like they don't have to devote too much bandwidth to Antenna TV. MeTV can often be  crystal clear. Still, you would think that there is room for 2 channels in SD. Plus, with all the options these days, they can map it as its own channel number.

As I've witnessed firsthand with WXXV in Gulfport, they can stream 3 720p channels on one frequency (NBC, FOX and CW) with a halfway decent picture on all 3. 

It's all in the encoding, because before, only NBC and FOX were in HD and all 3 looked like garbage.

Now if WBOC moved FOX up to HD, if the main channel was converted to 720p, it could work.  

Does WRC, WCAU and WBAL still have viewership in the area (especially in the fringes?)

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

As I've witnessed firsthand with WXXV in Gulfport, they can stream 3 720p channels on one frequency (NBC, FOX and CW) with a halfway decent picture on all 3. 

It's all in the encoding, because before, only NBC and FOX were in HD and all 3 looked like garbage.

Now if WBOC moved FOX up to HD, if the main channel was converted to 720p, it could work.  

Does WRC, WCAU and WBAL still have viewership in the area (especially in the fringes?)

They do. However, I live in Milton, DE, so I don't get WRC. But I do get WCAU and WBAL. I even get WJZ (not in HD, though), WTXF, and WTTG.

On 6/19/2019 at 5:51 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

Nielsen considers WBAL as significantly viewed in Dorchester County and Wicomico County (Wicomico is the home to Salisbury). Not many people in Sussex County, DE watch WCAU unless they're vacationing from the Philly area. WRC puzzles me because I don't know anyone who watches it on the Shore yet it still remains on Xfinity lineups.

One thing I've been waiting for for a very long time is Kent County, DE to be moved to the Salisbury DMA (and renaming it the Salisbury-Dover DMA). WBOC has had a bureau in Dover for years, WMDT has a low powered translator in Dover and the Philly stations rarely cover really any part of Delaware that isn't Wilmington. I guess I'll keep holding my breath. It wouldn't be unheard of though bc the aforementioned Dorchester County was part of the Baltimore DMA until the early 2000's but shed away to Salisbury. Tbh Accomack County, VA would also be a county I think should go to Salisbury. Salisbury stations have significant viewership and cable penetration down there and the Norfolk stations almost never cover it. 

49 minutes ago, newsanchor26 said:

WRC puzzles me because I don't know anyone who watches it on the Shore yet it still remains on Xfinity lineups.

WRC is owned by Comcast (Xfinity), which might offer a clue as to why it's carried despite low viewership.

3 hours ago, newsbot said:

WRC is owned by Comcast (Xfinity), which might offer a clue as to why it's carried despite low viewership.

I was just thinking, maybe it's a gimmick to cut down on the retransmission fees they have to pay. Carve up NBC viewership into more pie pieces (WCAU, WRC, WBAL, WRDE) and that's less money that has to go outside the company.

On 6/20/2019 at 7:58 PM, newsanchor26 said:

Nielsen considers WBAL as significantly viewed in Dorchester County and Wicomico County (Wicomico is the home to Salisbury). Not many people in Sussex County, DE watch WCAU unless they're vacationing from the Philly area. WRC puzzles me because I don't know anyone who watches it on the Shore yet it still remains on Xfinity lineups.

One thing I've been waiting for for a very long time is Kent County, DE to be moved to the Salisbury DMA (and renaming it the Salisbury-Dover DMA). WBOC has had a bureau in Dover for years, WMDT has a low powered translator in Dover and the Philly stations rarely cover really any part of Delaware that isn't Wilmington. I guess I'll keep holding my breath. It wouldn't be unheard of though bc the aforementioned Dorchester County was part of the Baltimore DMA until the early 2000's but shed away to Salisbury. Tbh Accomack County, VA would also be a county I think should go to Salisbury. Salisbury stations have significant viewership and cable penetration down there and the Norfolk stations almost never cover it. 

Is the southern Delmarva right to the bridge part of the Salisbury DMA? Or does the Hampton Roads DMA include parts of the southern Delmarva?

It is also interesting that the big companies have stayed away completely from the Delmarva. I wonder if someone like Gray has tried to buy WBOC and got thrown down by the Draper family?

2 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

It is also interesting that the big companies have stayed away completely from the Delmarva. I wonder if someone like Gray has tried to buy WBOC and got thrown down by the Draper family?

I guaran-flat-tee you they probably did. And Nexstar was probably sniffing around the place too. 

2 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Is the southern Delmarva right to the bridge part of the Salisbury DMA? Or does the Hampton Roads DMA include parts of the southern Delmarva?

I think once you cross the MD-VA border on the Delmarva, the VA side is considered the Eastern Shore and in the Hampton Roads DMA--or, at least, there's enough viewership there for the Hampton Roads stations to justify putting the Eastern Shore on their WX maps.

The Eastern Shore of Virginia (Northampton County and Accomack County) are part of the Hampton Roads DMA. The Salisbury stations don't even touch Northampton County but they do consider Accomack County part of their turf. They typically cover Accomack way more than the Norfolk stations do.

• 5 weeks later...

WRDE has a big hire for their little studio. Former WLBT & WATN and current senior meteorologist at AccuWeather (does weather remotely for WVII/WFVX), Paul Williams will join the station this fall as their (and Telemundo Delmarva's) chief meteorologist.

https://www.wrde.com/story/40808433/chief-meteorologist-joins-wrde-and-telemundo-delmarva

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My thoughts...

- How many fonts can they use on one set of graphics?  Pick one and stick with it (I know “First Alert”is a logo, and the Sea Witch graphic is themed - no issues there...) Header is one, hour by hour is different, and the 7+3 day forecast is yet a third

- As for the station name “Coast TV” - that’s what I’d expect from a My Network TV or independent running local paid advertising for tourists, not an NBC affiliate owned and operated by a fairly respected small market broadcaster... NBC DelMarVa or NBC/WRDE 31 (IMHO, there’s no stigma in an all UHF market for using channel numbers...) - and having a logo that looks like it was created in PowerPoint...  Draper, please fix this travesty!

i’ve said my peace!

J

They've already started on last Wednesday the 30th, they have news at 5:30pm (hour long) & 11pm on weeknights, and 6pm & 11pm on weekends.

They kept "The Tower" and man, they are looking good.

Pictures of the set in action:
0031a81324580398.jpg 24b4b21324580405.jpg 81a8ed1324580415.jpg b1c6ce1324580419.jpg 954d7b1324580422.jpg 9c34ea1324580426.jpg 6f33251324580431.jpg 54a3451324580435.jpg f6f74d1324580439.jpg 607b161324580444.jpg 1500c31324580450.jpg 

Archived