Jump to content
×
×
  • Create New...

NBC Sports/NBCSN/Golf Channel/NBC RSNs Thread


Message added by rkolsen

Please use this thread for minor tweaks or changes that do not warrant a new thread.  If there’s a MAJOR change such as new sets or graphics or rights please start a new thread.

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

I’ve always found it weird and a bad fit that NBC and Fox use their business networks for overflow sports programming. 
 

I agree that it's not necessarily a good fit, but it makes sense because FBN and CNBC rarely have live programming on the weekends so it's easier to pre-empt the repeats/infomercials  they air (which probably don't get many viewers) than whatever their sister networks are airing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First off, let’s pump the brakes a bit about NBCSN closing - the article cited is making predictions for 2021, it’s not a guarantee. The reasons given for closing it down makes sense, but it’s an info

https://www.robertfeder.com/2020/06/01/adam-amin-replacing-neil-funk-tv-voice-chicago-bulls/#more-25712   Adam Amin has joined the Bulls and NBC Sports Chicago as lead Bulls play-by-play, re

I heard the open of the broadcasts, and it honestly sounds like a 21st century knockoff of 'Roundball Rock.' That doesn't mean I dislike it, but it's definitely got that vibe.

Posted Images

12 hours ago, lugnuts6 said:

Uh, for those talking about "PARAMOUNT NETWORK" remember THAT will be rebranded as Paramount Movie Network in 2021, 

oh and EL REY Network signs off on dec. 31st 

 

This is why Bellator MMA moved to CBSSN.

1 hour ago, ScottJ said:

I agree that it's not necessarily a good fit, but it makes sense because FBN and CNBC rarely have live programming on the weekends so it's easier to pre-empt the repeats/infomercials  they air (which probably don't get many viewers) than whatever their sister networks are airing.

 

I think CNBC is a much better fit than MSNBC. MSNBC aired Premier League Soccer, 2 years ago and it ticked off much of MSNBC'S audience looking for AM Joy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

First off, let’s pump the brakes a bit about NBCSN closing - the article cited is making predictions for 2021, it’s not a guarantee. The reasons given for closing it down makes sense, but it’s an informed opinion more so than a lock. 

As for why business networks were used for overflow sports programming, that’s simple - they had greater penetration, especially CNBC. 

Edited by mightynine
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mightynine said:

First off, let’s pump the brakes a bit about NBCSN closing - the article cited is making predictions for 2021, it’s not a guarantee. The reasons given for closing it down makes sense, but it’s an informed opinion more so than a lock. 

As for why business networks were used for overflow sports programming, that’s simple - they had greater penetration, especially CNBC. 

I believe the only reason NBCSN would close would be in the even they lose NHL and/or EPL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mightynine said:

First off, let’s pump the brakes a bit about NBCSN closing - the article cited is making predictions for 2021, it’s not a guarantee. The reasons given for closing it down makes sense, but it’s an informed opinion more so than a lock. 

As for why business networks were used for overflow sports programming, that’s simple - they had greater penetration, especially CNBC. 

Plus it's worth noting that NBC still have the rights to the Olympics besides the Premier League and NHL

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AaronQ said:

Plus it's worth noting that NBC still have the rights to the Olympics besides the Premier League and NHL

But they also have the Olympic Channel, which I assume would play a bigger role if NBCSN does get axed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I found a new potential factor in the future of NBCSN, Comcast is looking to relaunch G4 in 2021, with that, they may need NBCSN's transponder space in order to make this happen and possibly justifying NBCSN's current programming moving to USA, CNBC, or Peacock.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

I found a new potential factor in the future of NBCSN, Comcast is looking to relaunch G4 in 2021, with that, they may need NBCSN's transponder space in order to make this happen and possibly justifying NBCSN's current programming moving to USA, CNBC, or Peacock.

 

On their own website, it says G4 is a digital first network, which means it's likely going to be a live channel on Peacock and possibily a live stream on Twitch and Youtube. Why they heck would they want to put a gamer-first channel on a distribution platform their audience is moving away from?

 

Is there a particular fetish here for NBCSN to go away or something?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mightynine said:

 

On their own website, it says G4 is a digital first network, which means it's likely going to be a live channel on Peacock and possibily a live stream on Twitch and Youtube. Why they heck would they want to put a gamer-first channel on a distribution platform their audience is moving away from?

 

Is there a particular fetish here for NBCSN to go away or something?

 

G4'S audience doesn't need cable or satellite. Some of NBCSN'S audience does. G4 would make a great live stream for YouTube.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mightynine said:

 

On their own website, it says G4 is a digital first network, which means it's likely going to be a live channel on Peacock and possibily a live stream on Twitch and Youtube. Why they heck would they want to put a gamer-first channel on a distribution platform their audience is moving away from?

 

Is there a particular fetish here for NBCSN to go away or something?

I am actually predicting that Golf Channel will go off first (and golf coverage be merged into NBCSN) before NBCSN goes off completely due to GC closing their Florida studios (relocating to their CT homebase)  and cancelled all of the programming (most notably Morning Drive) and staff with it

Edited by ThatSowislander
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 3:57 PM, JCB4TV said:

I wonder whether NBC will change their graphics package as the current look, except NFL and EPL, is six years old.

 

They'll probably wait till the 2022 NHL Winter Classic and change everything then...that is if they plan on having one network wide package again which it doesn't look like they intend on doing. 

 

I'm sure they want to keep their EPL broadcasts aligned with the SkySports look, their NFL look is more of an evolution of the 2015 look than anything else so that could change for this upcoming Super Bowl, and they've been slowly rolling out a unique look for the NHL that started way back in 2019 for the Stanley Cup Finals and if they do intend on finishing the look by replacing the scorebar and lower 3rds, then that isn't going anywhere any time soon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

The Portland Trail Blazers are moving from NBC Sports Northwest to Root Sports NW, effective next season.

 

 

It's now only a matter of time as to when NBC Sports Group formally announces the closure of NBCSNW as it was originally formed to broadcast Trail Blazers games in the first place. As for ROOT Sports NW, they'll now have all the NW teams with the exception of the Sounders.

Edited by JCB4TV
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, JCB4TV said:

NBC Sports could sell its RSNs or make them available on Peacock

 

NBC was apparently ready to put NBC Sports Philadelphia on Peacock in time for the Phillies, but had to push it back.

Philadelphians would LOVE this. NBCS Philly has had a long history of distribution issues (DTV and Dish doesn't carry it still) so getting it ala carte would work instead of shifting TV providers

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

Philadelphians would LOVE this. NBCS Philly has had a long history of distribution issues (DTV and Dish doesn't carry it still) so getting it ala carte would work instead of shifting TV providers

When NBC Sports Philadelphia launched as CSN Philadelphia in 1997, they used the terrestrial infrastructure left behind by PRISM to distribute the channel keeping satellite companies from access. The FCC closed this loophole in 2010, but the issues remain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

When NBC Sports Philadelphia launched as CSN Philadelphia in 1997, they used the terrestrial infrastructure left behind by PRISM to distribute the channel keeping satellite companies from access. The FCC closed this loophole in 2010, but the issues remain.

Yep, I heard of that. It's an obvious excuse for Comcrap as they wanted the channel to remain exclusive to them so that more people can subscribe to them. Now with cordcutting becoming more popular, clearly they can't do that anymore. This model I imagine will be a win-win for both sides

Link to post
Share on other sites

The RSN business model is changing and this move makes sense. However, both NBCU and Sinclair are going to have to be careful about taking their RSNs DTC because the streaming bubble could very well be on the verge of collapsing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, dman748 said:

The RSN business model is changing and this move makes sense. However, both NBCU and Sinclair are going to have to be careful about taking their RSNs DTC because the streaming bubble could very well be on the verge of collapsing.

I haven't been following the business side of streaming. What happens if the streaming bubble collapses? Where does the business model go if that happens, if both cable and streaming collapse?

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

I haven't been following the business side of streaming. What happens if the streaming bubble collapses? Where does the business model go if that happens, if both cable and streaming collapse?

it's not going to collapse at all. there's more of a chance of cable collapsing entirely than streaming. cable is redundant anyways.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.