NBC Sports/NBCSN/Golf Channel/NBC RSNs Thread

WCAUTVNBC10
Message added by rkolsen

Please use this thread for minor tweaks or changes that do not warrant a new thread.  If there’s a MAJOR change such as new sets or graphics or rights please start a new thread.

On 2/14/2023 at 2:21 AM, AaronQ said:

According to a report from CNBC, NBC Sports is preparing for an aggressive bid to bring back the NBA. NBC wants to have have a package to include playoff games on the network and some regular season games on Peacock.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/13/nbc-sports-prepared-to-make-nba-bid.html

Yes pls

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JTT said:

How about putting some games on the USA Network?  I thought they wanted to turn  the USA network to like TNT, with a mixture of sports and entertainment. 

If I had to guess, it’s probably because Peacock is starving for content (and subscribers). Also, IIRC, they can’t simulcast on Peacock and USA due to some archaic reason related to cable.

• Sad 1

On 2/15/2023 at 6:44 PM, nycnewsjunkie said:

If I had to guess, it’s probably because Peacock is starving for content (and subscribers). Also, IIRC, they can’t simulcast on Peacock and USA due to some archaic reason related to cable.

Pretty sure that's not true as most of the EPL matches on USA are simulcast on Peacock.

• Like 1

Hadn't seen this announced anywhere but NBC Sports completely overhauled their app. Gone is the clunky old app that was a mess to navigate and stream in the background to one that looks like it takes the best elements of Peacock and Xfinity's Streaming app. Here's some screenshots:

B9A9AF38-1F40-4397-86BF-653A6B5A131E.png

B34797B4-6A06-423E-876D-297E26683076.png

5E190448-34CD-4C9D-BD8D-086E89218C4A.png

D3146202-B0AF-4708-A858-FDC13AFA9730.png

7EC75667-FD95-47A1-B8AF-5E9B016A1CA9.png

C44AA413-9480-4912-B028-462D159E8600.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Why didn't NBC try to make a deal to put some more college basketball and football on USA network with the Big 10?  They are trying to build content for Peacock, but I thought they wanted to turn USA to the destination for sports like what TNT / TBS are.

I think NBC should drop Nascar and get the NBA back.  They can put games on NBC, USA, and Peacock.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JTT said:

Why didn't NBC try to make a deal to put some more college basketball and football on USA network with the Big 10?  They are trying to build content for Peacock, but I thought they wanted to turn USA to the destination for sports like what TNT / TBS are.

I think NBC should drop Nascar and get the NBA back.  They can put games on NBC, USA, and Peacock.

I think Peacock is a much bigger priority for them than USA. Trying to make a sports destination out of a cable network that isn’t ESPN is an uphill battle in 2023, and NBC has severely lagged behind in the streaming race. The problem with their strategy is that a few live sporting events alone won’t convince enough people to subscribe to Peacock. Other than “The Office,” much of their content is awful (this video takes a good look at it).

FWIW, they are looking to make a run at NBA rights, so there’s that.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

What if NBC puts all of its film and TV shows on Peacock tv from its film and TV studios? That would boost subscribers for peacock.   From Universal films, tv, and etc.  Then all they need to do is add more sports.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Why doesn't NBC put all of its sports coverage that is on cable on the USA Network, instead of splitting it up.  Ex would be rugby on CNBC and some figure skating coverage on E! Channel.  Why not combine all of the coverage and put it on the USA Network and use CNBC as an overflow or secondary channel if needed?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Why does NBC still put sports on CNBC weekend?  Why not just move these events to peacock?  I think they should use CNBC as an overflow network in case there's conflict in programming on USA OR NBC. 

4 hours ago, JTT said:

Why does NBC still put sports on CNBC weekend?  Why not just move these events to peacock?  I think they should use CNBC as an overflow network in case there's conflict in programming on USA OR NBC. 

Probably due to contracts that happened way before network-owned streaming was even a thought for the companies. I know that's what happens with NASCAR - the 2015 TV deal had no space for streaming so watching it online is a complicated mess, made worse by NBC keeping several of its races on USA after NBCSN's death (which again, was probably from the deal mandating x number of races on cable). What fans now hope is that the new TV deal does include spots for Peacock to stream the races live instead.

Edited by mrsunshine
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/7/2023 at 12:46 AM, Viper550 said:

We have the basketball version of the new NBC graphics, and it's not too different to the CFB one

Despite introducing new graphics for Big Ten Basketball, they're still using the old style graphics for A-10 Basketball on USA.

IMG_20240106_153639952~2.jpg

14 minutes ago, broadcastfan9751 said:

Despite introducing new graphics for Big Ten Basketball, they're still using the old style graphics for A-10 Basketball on USA.

IMG_20240106_153639952~2.jpg

That's odd. I just watched NBC broadcast the All-American Bowl which used the new College Football/Basketball graphics so that look is definitely not tied to the Big Ten or Notre Dame exclusively. Makes no sense why they would do this with the Atlantic 10. Basically shows that NBC Sports views that conference as lower production value. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1