NBC Sports/NBCSN/Golf Channel/NBC RSNs Thread

WCAUTVNBC10
Message added by rkolsen

Please use this thread for minor tweaks or changes that do not warrant a new thread.  If there’s a MAJOR change such as new sets or graphics or rights please start a new thread.

On 7/24/2021 at 7:41 PM, Roadrunner said:

An anecdote is the Olympic Zone broadcast made for the O&Os, which is like an "olympic behind-the-scenes/lifestyle" show. It uses the same music.

Olympic Zone is actually carried on the majority of NBC affiliates, not just the O&O's. It is mandatory for the O&O's, but optional for everyone else.

On 7/23/2021 at 10:08 PM, dombrown2222 said:

I was wondering if the music at the beginning of this video from WNBC is part of the NBC Olympic Theme, or just a piece of production music. Does anyone have an idea?

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sports/tokyo-summer-olympics/todd-frazier-hopes-to-finish-baseball-career-with-gold-in-tokyo/3171554/

Sounds like generic production music to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I guess NBCSN had a very basic shutdown. They aired a rerun of a Mecum Auto Auction, followed by a promo for the Premier League moving to USA, and then a blank slide telling viewers to watch the Premier League on USA. I would've hoped they did something bigger, but I'm not surprised.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I would've hoped they did something bigger, but I'm not surprised.

What were you hoping for? NBCSN shutting down is kind of like a Kmart going out of business sale- Didn't have the money, inventory, or power to take down the top competition so it just fades into history

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GodfreyGR said:

What were you hoping for? NBCSN shutting down is kind of like a Kmart going out of business sale- Didn't have the money, inventory, or power to take down the top competition so it just fades into history

I thought of it more as NBCSN merging with USA, and USA being the brand that got to keep going on. NBC Sports no longer needs to buy filler like Mecum or PowerNation and fill 168 hours minus infomercials in a week, while the USA side gets to reduce the films and series they have to air on the weekends for live content they desperately need as their repeat shows can easily be streamed, without commercials.

Frankly I want more of this; network mergers to remove pointless networks and 'bundle bloat' that have no reason to exist when their programming can easily do so on another channel space. NBCU has embraced this in the past by killing Trio, Cloo, Chiller and Esquire and with eventually do so with Universal Kids (now just a literal YouTube playlist with traditional commercials), and slowly Disney has by also taking out ESPN Classic and likely soon Disney Channel and XD (thanks, Disney+)...while ViacomCBS continues to go on thinking viewers need VH1, which hasn't shown a Video Hit since 2013, along with Logo, MTV2, BET Her and TV Land, which are all just rerun channels with different audiences, and that Nicktoons and NickMusic need to somehow still exist.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

I thought of it more as NBCSN merging with USA, and USA being the brand that got to keep going on. NBC Sports no longer needs to buy filler like Mecum or PowerNation and fill 168 hours minus infomercials in a week, while the USA side gets to reduce the films and series they have to air on the weekends for live content they desperately need as their repeat shows can easily be streamed, without commercials.

Moreover, USA is the home of WWE Raw, which streams on the NBC Sports App, and WWE Network merged into Peacock in 2021. I can see Comcast/NBCU eventually repurposing UK into G4 and merging MSNBC with their NBC News Now streaming channel. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

Frankly I want more of this; network mergers to remove pointless networks and 'bundle bloat' that have no reason to exist when their programming can easily do so on another channel space. NBCU has embraced this in the past by killing Trio, Cloo, Chiller and Esquire and with eventually do so with Universal Kids (now just a literal YouTube playlist with traditional commercials), and slowly Disney has by also taking out ESPN Classic and likely soon Disney Channel and XD (thanks, Disney+)...while ViacomCBS continues to go on thinking viewers need VH1, which hasn't shown a Video Hit since 2013, along with Logo, MTV2, BET Her and TV Land, which are all just rerun channels with different audiences, and that Nicktoons and NickMusic need to somehow still exist.

You think Disney Channel will go away entirely? If so, it would be the end of an era. I know in other countries it's been shut down.

Losing VH1 and TV Land would also stink as they were both very popular for years. MTV2, BET Her and NickMusic were never that popular to begin with.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

I'll take "Things unlikely to happen anytime soon" for... $600 please Ken, I mean Mayim? Who's hosting this week?

I say it because internationally, Disney Channel, XD and Junior have gone dark to focus more on Disney+, where they don't have to share any revenue with pay-TV providers. The US and Canada might be different, true...but the children's market for traditional cable channels is declining, and Disney's new programming on those three networks exclusively without D+ sharing has completely declined. I would not be shocked to see the networks wind down before the end of 2025.

Eventually, that same 'secret sauce' will be found for the major sports networks. Not anytime soon (as we see with Bally and had it not been cancelled, the Arizona Barstool Bowl), but Dish is done with RSNs, and with ESPN Classic gone, now ESPNU and ESPNews are the focus of networks to be reeled back for ESPN+ coverage instead.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 1:05 PM, Newsjunkie24 said:

You think Disney Channel will go away entirely? If so, it would be the end of an era. I know in other countries it's been shut down.

Losing VH1 and TV Land would also stink as they were both very popular for years. MTV2, BET Her and NickMusic were never that popular to begin with.

Hello. Honestly, I doubt that all the Disney Channels across America and Canada would be closed down for good.

• Like 2

I like the idea of trimming the bundle bloat so that so that we get stronger quality rather than high quantity cable channels. For instance, just BET and MTV alone with the best of each other's relevant programming, and the return of some niche aspects that made each channel great to begin with. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

The Open finally got their graphics updated to match Golf Channel's current package; looks nice, and definitely less gaudy than the blue and yellow they had before (although to be fair it was meant to evoke the actual in-person leaderboard)

Although this generic font they use alongside the Open's own serif font kinda cheapens it a bit 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

According to SBJ, this was a one-off transaction due to “an aggressive and willing buyer,” and it isn’t necessarily a harbinger for the sale of other NBC RSNs. Monumental reportedly plans to merge NBCS Washington with their existing streaming service.

• Sad 1

On 8/23/2022 at 11:27 AM, Georgie56 said:

Not surprising. They're the only one of the NBC RSNs that didn't get the group set or any other upgrades to their facility. There was talk about them moving out of their dated facility in Bethesda and in with WRC but those plans were squashed even before COVID. BTW if it wasn't clear in the in press release, Monumental owns the Caps and Wizards so this would become a team owned and operated RSN.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

The Flyers' first preseason game on NBC Sports Philadelphia is tonight and they trotted out this monstrosity of a scorebar. Please tell me this is temporary:

nbcspflyers.png

That’s gotta be a one-off thing. There’s no info on the period, SOG count, etc. Just a wild guess, but maybe they had some production issues and had to slap that scoreboard together?

4 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

That’s gotta be a one-off thing. There’s no info on the period, SOG count, etc. Just a wild guess, but maybe they had some production issues and had to slap that scoreboard together?

Yeah that appears to be the case. The traditional scorebar appeared a few mins ago.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

You can file this one under "It's about damn time", the RSNs are heading to Peacock (complete with live sports [IE no blackouts])by the end of the year in their regional markets:

https://thestreamable.com/uk/news/peacock-will-carry-nbc-regional-sports-networks-in-select-markets-by-end-of-year

Edited by WCAUTVNBC10
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, AaronQ said:

According to a report from CNBC, NBC Sports is preparing for an aggressive bid to bring back the NBA. NBC wants to have have a package to include playoff games on the network and some regular season games on Peacock.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/13/nbc-sports-prepared-to-make-nba-bid.html

I think Comcast/NBC is doing this in large part because of the potential fallout we're likely to see with Bally Sports' looming bankruptcy. They smell blood in the water and want in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1