NBC Sports/NBCSN/Golf Channel/NBC RSNs Thread

WCAUTVNBC10
Message added by rkolsen

Please use this thread for minor tweaks or changes that do not warrant a new thread.  If there’s a MAJOR change such as new sets or graphics or rights please start a new thread.

2 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

I haven't been following the business side of streaming. What happens if the streaming bubble collapses? Where does the business model go if that happens, if both cable and streaming collapse?

Streaming isn't going to collapse, it's going to consolidate. Some of the smaller/niche services will shut down or be acquired by the big companies, but it's not going to collapse. It's only going to get stronger as cord-cutting continues and content continues moving from TV/movie theaters to streaming. Cable is going to collapse, not streaming and certainly not both.

Golf Channel's airing an LPGA tournament from Asia with a different host production, and unfortunately their automated ticker is getting in the way of some of their graphics positioning.

Though curiously I noticed that said graphics actually use the normal NBC Sports fonts, even though they're not what they usually use. If they were aware enough they were going to be on Golf Channel by the fonts alone, you'd think they would have pushed that one graphic up a bit more just in case?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Ah yes, because we all want a total conglomerate of RSNs owned by one company!

Fox tried that in the early days of FSN in the late 1990s/early 2000s, as a matter of fact, this deal would reunite Bay Area/California, Boston, and Chicago with the Bally RSNs.

The ones I can see Sinclair wanting most would be Boston, Bally Corporation's HQ is in Providence, and Washington, Sinclair's home market.

1 hour ago, TVNewsLover said:

Even though I hate Sinclair, I do think it makes sense for all the RSNs to be under one or two umbrellas.

Maybe... But not Sinclair. Especially after the layoffs from the FOX RSNs. Maybe it could be refreshing for an independent company to start up an RSN. But that's just my opinion.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

Life is a full circle. I remember when FOX owned all but 2 RSNs 🤣😂

True, I remember when I first got interested in sports in the early 2000s. I opened up my DirecTV guide and saw all of the "Fox Sports <Region>" channels. I was blown away at the time by all these FSNs that I had no idea existed!

Edited by Spring Rubber
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 10:01 PM, JCB4TV said:

It's over, with the Lightning defeating the Canadiens 1-0, the NHL on NBC/OLN/Versus/NBCSN has come to an end!

I'm sad that Doc Emrick didn't get to call their final season, but I'm glad they let him do the final closing montage speech.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's official. Maria Taylor joins NBC Sports.

From the release:

Highlighted by host roles for the Olympics and the NFL – including as a host and contributor for Football Night in America and Super Bowls – Taylor will work across premier NBC Sports properties. In Tokyo, her very first assignment as part of the NBC Sports team, she will join Mike Tirico as host for Prime Plus, and will also serve as a correspondent.

21 hours ago, dombrown2222 said:

I was wondering if the music at the beginning of this video from WNBC is part of the NBC Olympic Theme, or just a piece of production music. Does anyone have an idea?

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sports/tokyo-summer-olympics/todd-frazier-hopes-to-finish-baseball-career-with-gold-in-tokyo/3171554/

I don't have a solid answer for you, but I believe it's part of the NBC theme that (may have been) made for this year. An anecdote is the Olympic Zone broadcast made for the O&Os, which is like an "olympic behind-the-scenes/lifestyle" show. It uses the same music.

• Like 1