NBC Sports/NBCSN/Golf Channel/NBC RSNs Thread

WCAUTVNBC10
Message added by rkolsen

Please use this thread for minor tweaks or changes that do not warrant a new thread.  If there’s a MAJOR change such as new sets or graphics or rights please start a new thread.

On 6/29/2020 at 11:02 AM, Viper550 said:

I went ahead and started a new thread related to the U.S. Open (and other USGA-related events) returning to NBC 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 8:31 AM, Georgie56 said:

NBC Sports Chicago is debuting a new set on the 26th.

The pandemic delayed the debut, but it will go live for the White Sox opener this Friday.

20 hours ago, AaronQ said:

That's clearly not the full schedule. I dunno why they'd release this if they don't have the details for all the games for the first two rounds fully pinned down.

• 2 weeks later...

This could either backfire on NBC Sports for doing away with sideline reporters or this will start a trend with all of the RSNs across the country doing away with sideline reporters for all of the sports the RSNs in general covers.

But don't expect ESPN and other national networks to do away with sideline reporters though at least, not yet.

As a Chicagoan who was used to local games on WGN Sports where they didn't use sideline reporters, I was fine with it. When they needed to interview someone, they would have a producer and a camera operator slap a headset/mic on a player or coach, and the play-by-play commentator would interview them from the booth. The teams all split games between WGN and NBC Sports Chicago. When I would tune into their games on NBCSC, I would always find the addition of the sideline reporter (plus the "insider" and sometimes the extra "field commentator") to be extra fluff. I actually preferred the "less is more" approach of the WGN telecasts.

At the national level, the NFL on CBS didn't use sideline reporters for a number of years. Their coverage seemed to do just fine. For injuries, I assume they would have a producer gather the information from the locker rooms/training staff and would feed it to the play-by-play commentator to relay it to the audience whenever needed.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/10/2020 at 5:21 PM, KnoxvilleTVFan said:

I remember him from his time with CBS when he did color commentary for their NBA games. He will certainly be missed by everyone in the NBA community.

Especially from Celtics fans like me. I'll miss his homerisms and berating at the refs. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now there's a rumor out that NBCSN may be gone as a whole at the end of next year. Apparently NBC might move certain sports events to their other cable channels or Peacock.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2020/12/23/nbcsns-days-are-numbered-as-a-channel-predicts-tv-industry-reporter/

I don't know if this is a good idea or not. It might be bad for smaller sports. 

51 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I mean, last night NBCSN was showing a night full of drone racing... which (even as a drone pilot) seems to me like it belongs on YouTube or another streaming service and not on linear cable. 

Edited by caliwxdude

48 minutes ago, caliwxdude said:

I mean, last night NBCSN was showing a night full of drone racing... which (even as a drone pilot) seems to me like it belongs on YouTube or another streaming service and not on linear cable. 

NBCSN seems to show Dog Shows and American Ninja Warrior reruns when there's no live sports programming.

I would expect FS2, the CBS Sports Network, and the Olympic Channel to go before NBCSN. I'm surprised ESPNnews is still around, to be honest. It seems like at night, they're running their talk shows on a loop for a few hours and there's not many advertisers compared to ESPN or ESPN2.

Most of the time I see on NBCSN is Mecum Auctions. 

12 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

NBCSN seems to show Dog Shows and American Ninja Warrior reruns when there's no live sports programming.

I would expect FS2, the CBS Sports Network, and the Olympic Channel to go before NBCSN. I'm surprised ESPNnews is still around, to be honest. It seems like at night, they're running their talk shows on a loop for a few hours and there's not many advertisers compared to ESPN or ESPN2.

ESPNews hasn't been ESPNews since 2012. 

The glory years:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RGSJenkins said:

Most of the time I see on NBCSN is Mecum Auctions. 

ESPNews hasn't been ESPNews since 2012. 

The glory years:

Mecum Auctions is on there all the time, and I don't believe they have another partner,  so would they make the jump over to Peacock?

I always loved that music package that ESPNnews used to use. The graphics were great too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

Now there's a rumor out that NBCSN may be gone as a whole at the end of next year. Apparently NBC might move certain sports events to their other cable channels or Peacock.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2020/12/23/nbcsns-days-are-numbered-as-a-channel-predicts-tv-industry-reporter/

I personally could only see NBCSN go should they not be able to renew with EPL or the NHL, yet I can also see many of NBCSN's offerings moving to Peacock, USA, or CNBC.

I can see CBSSN closing with many of their programs moving to Paramount+, or MTV.

Many FS2 programs can potentially move to FBN.

On 12/24/2020 at 10:34 PM, JCB4TV said:

I personally could only see NBCSN go should they not be able to renew with EPL or the NHL, yet I can also see many of NBCSN's offerings moving to Peacock, USA, or CNBC.

I can see CBSSN closing with many of their programs moving to Paramount+, or MTV.

I’ve always found it weird and a bad fit that NBC and Fox use their business networks for overflow sports programming. 

Also, I think the Paramount Network is a much more likely landing spot than MTV for the CBSSN stuff.

On 12/24/2020 at 10:34 PM, JCB4TV said:

I still hope the news is wrong with NBCSN about possibly closing.

CBSSN now airs Bellator MMA after formerly airing on Spike/Paramount Network. They are also getting the rights to a new auto racing series, and it's been moved to a more basic package on my local cable system, so I don't see them ceasing operations anytime soon, even if there's low ratings. CBSViacom has several low-budget and low rated channels that are somehow still hanging on.

FBN has been used for an overflow of Fox Sports programming in the past. Weekends are pretty much infomercials, even more than CNBC, so it should be no problem to carry sports on there too.

5 minutes ago, lugnuts6 said:

Uh, for those talking about "PARAMOUNT NETWORK" remember THAT will be rebranded as Paramount Movie Network in 2021, 

oh and EL REY Network signs off on dec. 31st 

I took that into consideration when I thought of places where CBS can place their sports content should they decide to close CBSSN. In addition, Nickelodeon can pick up the slack, they're simulcasting one NFL playoff game. From my prospective, none of the Viacom networks are branded to televise live sports on a regular basis, with that, it may be more difficult for CBS to justify closing CBSSN unless they plan to move most of the content to Paramount+, the rebranded CBS All Access. Can America see MTV celebrating their 40th anniversary by showing sports?