NBC Sports/NBCSN/Golf Channel/NBC RSNs Thread

WCAUTVNBC10
Message added by rkolsen

Please use this thread for minor tweaks or changes that do not warrant a new thread.  If there’s a MAJOR change such as new sets or graphics or rights please start a new thread.

Why does NBC not show more college sports, especially on their sports network? I know they have not spent that much on college sports besides for Notre Dame football for the past couple of decades, but if they want to build their sports network, they need more sports programming. If they can get pro baseball in a couple of years and more college football and college basketball, they should be able to be more competitive in terms of programming. They need to keep pro hockey and pro soccer in addition to their nascar coverage as well in order to have programming that people will want to watch.

Why does NBC not show more college sports, especially on their sports network? I know they have not spent that much on college sports besides for Notre Dame football for the past couple of decades, but if they want to build their sports network, they need more sports programming. If they can get pro baseball in a couple of years and more college football and college basketball, they should be able to be more competitive in terms of programming. They need to keep pro hockey and pro soccer in addition to their nascar coverage as well in order to have programming that people will want to watch.

NBCSN has found what works for them in niche sports. They have also shown college football outside of Notre Dame, but I don't know what happened to those rights. I don't think they'll snag MLB from ESPN, TBS, or Fox anytime soon.

Edited by Guest

Contracts are locked up for years. Plus the individual athletic conferences make a lot of money by operating their own channels or using ESPN to make a channel for them. They get to keep all the revenues. The NBC RSN do show some college games here.

[ATTACH=full]6603[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]6604[/ATTACH] Here’s a change for 2018 that really bothers me. For some reason on their NASCAR Xfinity Series coverage this year NBC decided that all cars will be the same color (black/red) on the graphics and leaderboard. To me this comes off as lazy and frankly unacceptable for it to be 2018 (this hasn’t been a normal thing on NASCAR telecasts since 2006). Here’s a comparison of last year and this year.

Just saw a clip of coverage - I'm not sure if I like the little 'Playoffs' tab being added to drivers in the running. I'd like to think there's a better way to mark that.

Since Comcast bought NBC back in 2010-11, they had several opportunities to get college sports as some of the contracts were up at the time until present day. They didn't get the rights to those conferences since they did not want to spend the kind of money that the other networks were offering. The same was true when the baseball contract was up back in 2011, & NBA contract in 2014. Even the ivy league football conference were up earlier this year and ESPN was able to get a contract to air the games instead of NBCSN.

My question is, if they did not want to spend the money on these sporting events at the times when the contracts were up, why would they be willing to spend the money in the future?

If they are interested in niche sporting events, why even have a sports network. They can spread the niche sporting events across their other cable networks: CNBC, USA Network, Bravo, Oxygen Network, & etc. Hockey, Nascar, Soccer and Cycling can be on CNBC and USA network, while figure skating, gymnastics, tennis, rugby, and other niche / smaller sporting events can be on Bravo & Oxygen Networks.

My point is, if they are not going to invest in more popular sporting events, they don't need the NBCSN channel.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, johnnya2k6 said:

Bob Costas leaving NBC Sports (and the network in general) after nearly 40 years, though we'll still see him on MLB Network.

It is perhaps the end of an era; some of us were just babies when Bob joined in 1979. But let's just say that his departure wasn't messy unlike Megyn Kelly's.

Bravo to Bob. That's all I can say. I really enjoyed him on NBC because its the only thing I associated him with for a very long time, pretty much all my life.

Bob and NBC. Its hard to find a legendary compatible relationship like this one though there are plenty (Barbara and ABC, Bob and CBS, Tom still at NBC, etc. You know these names too so don't act like you don't know them! Lmao.)

In the words of Frank Sinatra, he did it his way.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2018 at 4:09 AM, John2016 said:

Since Comcast bought NBC back in 2010-11, they had several opportunities to get college sports as some of the contracts were up at the time until present day. They didn't get the rights to those conferences since they did not want to spend the kind of money that the other networks were offering. The same was true when the baseball contract was up back in 2011, & NBA contract in 2014. Even the ivy league football conference were up earlier this year and ESPN was able to get a contract to air the games instead of NBCSN.

My question is, if they did not want to spend the money on these sporting events at the times when the contracts were up, why would they be willing to spend the money in the future?

If they are interested in niche sporting events, why even have a sports network. They can spread the niche sporting events across their other cable networks: CNBC, USA Network, Bravo, Oxygen Network, & etc. Hockey, Nascar, Soccer and Cycling can be on CNBC and USA network, while figure skating, gymnastics, tennis, rugby, and other niche / smaller sporting events can be on Bravo & Oxygen Networks.

My point is, if they are not going to invest in more popular sporting events, they don't need the NBCSN channel.

That's a huge concern if I were in charge of the Peacock network moving forward when the NFL and NHL contracts come up for renewal within the next few years, and if they were to lose out on the NFL and NHL I wouldn't be surprised and I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the NFL/NHL either. Still, it's a huge concern without question.

15 hours ago, 24994J said:

NBCSN refreshed their ticker, adding banners promptly upcoming programming on the right side. Gee, I wonder where they got that idea from? :classic_rolleyes:

0125192318a-1.thumb.jpg.417fd8e566f19150a9d6a2b34e1de9fb.jpg

They got that from ESPN; that layout doesn't match with the current ticker layout, just my opinion

2 hours ago, Viper550 said:

We're getting our first on-air crossover with NBC's new British counterpart soon:

On Thursday, Sky Sports News will simulcast a block of coverage of the transfer deadline for English football on NBCSN, followed by continued coverage from NBC's Premier League pundits with reports from Sky anchors.

It mentioned on NBC Sports' press release that Sky Sports simulcasted NBC's "Football Night in America" during the season as well.

While this Thursday’s Premier League show marks the first program-length, on-air collaboration in the U.S. between the sports divisions, during the 2018 NFL season Sky Sports aired NBC’s Football Night in America in the U.K.

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2019/01/28/extensive-6-hour-premier-league-transfer-deadline-day-special-on-nbcsn-this-thurs-jan-31-at-2-p-m-et-featuring-sky-sports-news-simulcast/

Edited by AaronQ

• 2 weeks later...

NBC Sports Boston has told Red Sox reporter Evan Drellich his services are no longer needed; it appears the network will have no dedicated reporter covering the defending World Series Champions going forward.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2019/02/12/nbc-sports-boston-parts-ways-with-its-red-sox-reporter/y5tqVazaR1xhiaqdl8lkhJ/story.html

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

NBCSN is ending the simulcast of the AT&T-produced Dan Patrick Show, effective March 1. 

https://awfulannouncing.com/nbc/the-dan-patrick-show-nbcsn-simulcast-ending-as-of-march-1.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

And we now have DP's replacement: SkySports News and a PFT replay.

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2019/02/26/nbcsn-adds-sky-sports-news-to-weekday-morning-lineup-beginning-this-friday-march-1/

NBC Sports Network (NBCSN) will add a simulcast of Sky Sports News to its programming lineup each weekday from 11 a.m.–Noon ET, beginning this Friday, March 1. Sky Sports News highlights many of the sports properties and leagues that U.S. viewers enjoy on the networks of NBCUniversal, including the Premier League, NFL, Olympic sports, golf, auto racing, horse racing, and rugby.

Leading into the Sky Sports News simulcast this Friday, March 1, NBCSN will present a special four-hour PFT Live with Mike Florio and Chris Simms, live from 7-11 a.m. ET from the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

Beginning Monday, March 4, NBCSN’s 9-11 a.m. programming block will feature an encore presentation of that day’s episode of PFT Live with Mike Florio, which is televised live from 7-9 a.m. ET every weekday, and is regularly co-hosted by former NFL quarterback and current analyst Chris Simms and Football Morning in America’s Peter King. Sky Sports News and the PFT Live with Mike Florio encore fill the programming block occupied by The Dan Patrick Show, which ends its six-year run on the network on Thursday.

The hockey fan in me would have preferred a daily version of NHL Live to fill that block that the PFT replay is going to occupy but this works as well and I love importing/simulcasting SkySports. Hopefully this will be the sports news program that will stick on this network.

• 2 weeks later...

We got more Sky cross-pollination this week, this time with Golf Channel and, ahem, "Sky Sports The Players" (usually known as Sky Sports Golf), for the, well Players.

Sky appears to be producing the "On the Range" program airing tomorrow afternoon.. However, I expect things to really get interesting once we get to the Open Championship...

Edited by Viper550

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2019 at 4:10 PM, Georgie56 said:

NBCSN is ending the simulcast of the AT&T-produced Dan Patrick Show, effective March 1. 

https://awfulannouncing.com/nbc/the-dan-patrick-show-nbcsn-simulcast-ending-as-of-march-1.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

If you're a Dan Patrick fan, the show is now available to stream/watch for free on B/R live.

https://live.bleacherreport.com/talk-show/dan-patrick-show/64

Edited by SF1964

• 2 weeks later...

NBC appeared to be experimenting with taking a Sky Sports feed (though with NBC's scoreboard overlaid on top of the Sky one) on its Premier League streaming.

Also led to this, but It's not like Canada puts up with promos like this slipping through too (honestly TSN, given Bell owns the HBO channel here, would also be likely to plug Crave for this too)

Edited by Viper550

10 hours ago, Viper550 said:

NBC appeared to be experimenting with taking a Sky Sports feed (though with NBC's scoreboard overlaid on top of the Sky one) on its Premier League streaming.

Also led to this, but It's not like Canada puts up with promos like this slipping through too (honestly TSN, given Bell owns the HBO channel here, would also be likely to plug Crave for this too)

Game of Thrones, a Sky Atlantic production. 😂

• 3 months later...

The Open is on, and Golf Channel shockingly didn't update its Open-specific graphics to match the new flatter package it started using this season.

Though they also don't seem to be using their own coverage: I think they're using Sky commentators but with GC graphics. It just feels less bespoke than how they did it in the past. Rather low quality for a major.

Edited by Viper550

• 3 weeks later...

NBC's Premier League coverage crew are in the Sky Sports studios in London for deadline day coverage and Sky graphics were used during their coverage. The synergy between the two are getting really good. And the studio Rebecca Lowe, Robbie Mustoe, and Kyle Martino are in is the studio (Studio 1)  is where Sky Sports' coverage of "Monday Night Football" is held.

Edit: I should also note that the deadline for transfers in the Premier League was today and has since been over, and tomorrow is the start of the Premier League season. NBC is gonna be on location at Anfield for the opening season tomorrow between Liverpool vs Norwich City.

Screenshot_2019-08-08 NBC Sports.png

Screenshot_2019-08-08 NBC Sports(1).png

Screenshot_2019-08-08 NBC Sports(2).png

Screenshot_2019-08-08 NBC Sports(3).png

Screenshot_2019-08-08 NBC Sports(4).png

Screenshot_2019-08-08 NBC Sports(5).png

Screenshot_2019-08-08 NBC Sports(6).png

Screenshot_2019-08-08 NBC Sports(7).png

Screenshot_2019-08-08 NBC Sports(9).png

Screenshot_2019-08-08 NBC Sports(8).png

Screenshot_2019-08-08 NBC Sports(10).png

Screenshot_2019-08-08 NBC Sports(11).png