NBC Sports/NBCSN/Golf Channel/NBC RSNs Thread

WCAUTVNBC10
Message added by rkolsen

Please use this thread for minor tweaks or changes that do not warrant a new thread.  If there’s a MAJOR change such as new sets or graphics or rights please start a new thread.

Following NCFLMedia's lead, I made a thread for NBC Sports and its many properties following their announcement this week of them revamping their NHL coverage for this upcoming season.

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2018/08/13/nbc-sports-scheduled-to-air-record-109-games-during-2018-19-nhl-regular-season/

Good bye Wednesday Night Rivalry, hello Wednesday Night Hockey. Finally gone are the match ups between contrived rivals (since when did Tampa become a rival to Chicago?) and most match ups being between teams east of the Mississippi.

Wednesday Night Hockey brings a doubleheader most weeks and more varied match ups to promote the NHL stars.

Looking through the rest of the schedule, it looks like a lot of the non-Wednesday games during the week will be side-by-side productions by NBC RSNs (lots of Blackhawks, Flyers, Capitals and Sharks games on the schedule). Genius as a cost saving move by NBC but kinda flies in the face of the whole "more varied matchups" mantra that they're trying to promote.

Wednesday Night Hockey brings a doubleheader most weeks and more varied match ups to promote the NHL stars.

Looking through the rest of the schedule, it looks like a lot of the non-Wednesday games during the week will be side-by-side productions by NBC RSNs (lots of Blackhawks, Flyers, Capitals and Sharks games on the schedule). Genius as a cost saving move by NBC but kinda flies in the face of the whole "more varied matchups" mantra that they're trying to promote.

They must be trying to keep the league happy at this point.. 2021 cannot come any faster.

• Like 3

NBC should try to keep the NHL the next time the contract is up, plus try to get a piece of the MLB contract. If they can't get any of the college football conferences, try to build on their ivy league conference deal. I think that they should air more than the 4-5 games they have been doing the past few seasons for college football. For college basketball, build on their CAA & Atlantic 10 conference deal. I heard they used to air 60 games for Atlantic 10, but now only 25 games. Why not try to add more games with their current deal?

If NBC really wanted to expand their presence into sports, they would have put more money and outbid the other networks into getting more popular sports properties. It seems like they are only doing enough to have a minimum presence, which in my view does not make sense if you want to have a network devoted to sports. If all they want is to have a minimum presence in the sports industry, they don't need a sports network. They can easily spread the sports programming that they have across the several cable networks that they own. Put the bulk of the programming weekends on CNBC. Put whatever other sports programming that they have during the week on CNBC primetime or USA Network, or Bravo Network or Oxygen Network. Otherwise, they should put the programming that they have during the week for sports on Golf channel,

If NBC does go ahead and spend more money on sports in the future, they should go ahead and rename the Golf Channel NBCSN 2, since they will have more of a presence in the sports industry. As mentioned earlier, if they do spend more money and do those suggestions posted earlier, they should have enough programming to spread across two networks for most of the year, especially on the weekends. During the weekday, the NBCSN feed should show sports related programming. the NBCSN2 feed should show a newly created sports feed that NBC develops that will air most of the day. They should use the strategy they have developed for CNBC and MSNBC in terms of giving their talent on air time to talk specifically about sports related stuff throughout the day and into the evening if there are not enough sports events for them to cover. This would be the strategy CNBC and MSNBC has with there talent discussing the topics of business and politics during the day on their respective networks.

• Like 4

If NBC really wanted to expand their presence into sports, they would have put more money and outbid the other networks into getting more popular sports properties. It seems like they are only doing enough to have a minimum presence, which in my view does not make sense if you want to have a network devoted to sports. If all they want is to have a minimum presence in the sports industry, they don't need a sports network. They can easily spread the sports programming that they have across the several cable networks that they own. Put the bulk of the programming weekends on CNBC. Put whatever other sports programming that they have during the week on CNBC primetime or USA Network, or Bravo Network or Oxygen Network. Otherwise, they should put the programming that they have during the week for sports on Golf channel,

This is why I miss the early days of NBCSN. I remember they were moving in that direction with a morning show that ran down highlights much like an old-school episode of SportsCenter. Though I didn't watch it much, I was excited for what they could build up. It's just sad that they and CBS are aiming low with the sports on a lower tier than the Big 3. I feel like the perspective they take is that ESPN, despite its recent struggles, is too far established as a network to try and compete with full-force. While that might be the case, the peacock's sports division should definitely take action as you said. Either take advantage of covering more popular sports on a daily basis with MLB, NBA, etc. or shut the network down completely, which I don't think will happen as I doubt things are bad enough at NBCSN to just give up any time soon.

• 2 weeks later...
This is why I miss the early days of NBCSN. I remember they were moving in that direction with a morning show that ran down highlights much like an old-school episode of SportsCenter.

I miss The ‘Lights. It reminded me of a mix of SportsCenter and a better version of NewsFix.

• Like 2

I miss The ‘Lights. It reminded me of a mix of SportsCenter and a better version of NewsFix.

I liked The 'Lights as well. Sports Dash was also a good show as well even though David Briggs was terrible as an anchor. If they bright that back with better talent and promotion it would be successful.

• Like 1

I liked The 'Lights as well. Sports Dash was also a good show as well even though David Briggs was terrible as an anchor. If they bright that back with better talent and promotion it would be successful.

If NBC were smart and brought back "The Lights" they would make it a challenger to CBS Sports HQ and that would be an instant for viewers like me who would rather see highlights on their phones than on TV and wait until they show highlights of their favorite sports or their favorite teams

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So it sounds like there's not going to be any daily highlights or general sports news shows on the network going forward - only specialized shows for each individual team.

Plus, there's rumors that the entire network might end October 1st next year when the Cubs leave, and the rest of the teams' contracts end.

This all feels like the beginning of the end of NBC Sports Chicago.

So it sounds like there's not going to be any daily highlights or general sports news shows on the network going forward - only specialized shows for each individual team.

Plus, there's rumors that the entire network might end October 1st next year when the Cubs leave, and the rest of the teams' contracts end.

This all feels like the beginning of the end of NBC Sports Chicago.

That’s kinda sad, IMO. The NBC Sports regionals felt like the FSNs from the ‘90s-late 2000s — Live local sports mixed with daily local and national programming. Seeing both shows go away will make NBCSC feel like another cookie cutter RSN.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
97C65023-A7DB-4D7D-BD5B-5F5C950ECBC9.thumb.png.754c102b9270494682035702884a7428.png Here’s a change for 2018 that really bothers me. For some reason on their NASCAR Xfinity Series coverage this year NBC decided that all cars will be the same color (black/red) on the graphics and leaderboard. To me this comes off as lazy and frankly unacceptable for it to be 2018 (this hasn’t been a normal thing on NASCAR telecasts since 2006). Here’s a comparison of last year and this year.

C9A8F171-E13A-4B7E-A6CE-D4CFE528FEED.thumb.png.16ae1715cce647ce56d5b338c1c2d7bd.png

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

[ATTACH=full]6603[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]6604[/ATTACH] Here’s a change for 2018 that really bothers me. For some reason on their NASCAR Xfinity Series coverage this year NBC decided that all cars will be the same color (black/red) on the graphics and leaderboard. To me this comes off as lazy and frankly unacceptable for it to be 2018 (this hasn’t been a normal thing on NASCAR telecasts since 2006). Here’s a comparison of last year and this year.

I see what you mean, but the black/red color scheme is a lot easier to read than all the various color schemes and fonts before.

• Like 2

I see what you mean, but the black/red color scheme is a lot easier to read than all the various color schemes and fonts before.

I’m able to pick them out easier when the colors are geared towards the actual car. Just depends on how you interpret it I guess.

[ATTACH=full]6603[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]6604[/ATTACH] Here’s a change for 2018 that really bothers me. For some reason on their NASCAR Xfinity Series coverage this year NBC decided that all cars will be the same color (black/red) on the graphics and leaderboard. To me this comes off as lazy and frankly unacceptable for it to be 2018 (this hasn’t been a normal thing on NASCAR telecasts since 2006). Here’s a comparison of last year and this year.

They did the same thing from 2001-06 when it was known as the Busch series, it's just plain laziness that's all there is to it

They did the same thing from 2001-06 when it was known as the Busch series, it's just plain laziness that's all there is to it

Prior to 2006, the Cup Series was the only thing that got customized number treatments on any networks. Every lower NASCAR series as well as all racing from other sanctioning bodies got generic number treatments.

• Like 1

So now that Comcast owns Sky and Sky Sports, do you think we might see some synergies with NBC for their international event coverage?

I can easily see the Premier League and golf having obvious crossover potential.

Hopefully it means more Premier League matches on TV.

Prior to 2006, the Cup Series was the only thing that got customized number treatments on any networks. Every lower NASCAR series as well as all racing from other sanctioning bodies got generic number treatments.

So it was before NBC inherited IndyCar from Versus after the Comcast acquisition correct?

So now that Comcast owns Sky and Sky Sports, do you think we might see some synergies with NBC for their international event coverage?

I can easily see the Premier League and golf having obvious crossover potential.

I’d expect it. Don’t be surprised if Sky personalities start appearing on NBC’s PL coverage soon.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1