Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TheRolyPoly

The ESPN Thread

The MNF package reminds me of what Fox threw together for their last Super Bowl, with a poorly-modified version of the old scoreboard, with other, newer graphics.

I maintain that that was going to be FOX's new look til they saw how it actually looked and behaved on air and then they chucked it mid broadcast. The fact that they half assed modded the old scoreboard just showed they had their doubts about in rehearsals. They began reverting different inserts back to the former look as early as mid way through the 1st quarter and any sign of that package was gone by the end of the game.

• Like 5

And we may not have gotten their current look which is one of their best.

Regarding ESPN, I predict they're going to tweak the font on their MLB coverage next year. If they're trying to give every show a different look - and it's clear they are - I feel they'd probably let SC keep Helvetica and move MLB to something else (the rest of the show changed this year). Just a feeling I have.

Is it me or is ESPN suddenly using more of the Saturday Night Football-specific graphics on non-primetime college football games? (particularly the blue and white/diamond stuff)

• Like 2

Is it me or is ESPN suddenly using more of the Saturday Night Football-specific graphics on non-primetime college football games? (particularly the blue and white/diamond stuff)

Yeah, I’ve been seeing that too over the last couple of weeks.

• Like 2

Also, in an apparent surprise move, Chris Berman returned to SportsCenter yesterday evening with his traditional "The Blitz" segment featuring the day's NFL highlights. Looks like ESPN decided to not announce it ahead of time. Back in September, we were told that Berman was only being brought back for 5 short pre-recorded Friday segments throughout the NFL season and that there was no agreement in place for him to do highlights. New ESPN management is now working with him to try to get him to work select Sundays throughout NFL season. He's already got personal plans in place most Sundays, but ESPN hopes to bring him back for about 25% of the Sundays this season.

https://nypost.com/2018/08/20/the-head-of-espn-is-behind-chris-bermans-tricky-return/

I know Berman has his detractors, but man, did I miss his unique style of reading the highlights this past year and a half.

• Like 2

Players Only-games have returned to NBA TV.

The commentary crew is based in a slightly redressed and re-lit Studio J watching via monitors and seated at the Inside the NBA desk.

I know in the NHL, each broadcaster is required to feed clean feeds back to the league (and they presumably onpass these feeds to the NHL Network), I would presume that's how NBA TV gets their feeds as well.

Edited by Guest

The commentary crew is based in a slightly redressed and re-lit Studio J watching via monitors and seated at the Inside the NBA desk.

I know in the NHL, each broadcaster is required to feed clean feeds back to the league (and they presumably onpass these feeds to the NHL Network), I would presume that's how NBA TV gets their feeds as well.

NHL Network just simulcasts local broadcast feeds these days complete with graphics and announcers.

• Like 2

NHL Network just simulcasts local broadcast feeds these days complete with graphics and announcers.

I never did like that they put their own graphics over local feeds. Glad the MLB Network merger changed that.

Mods, I mistakenly put this in the wrong thread - this probably should've gone to chat even.

Interesting thread I found yesterday on how the new Around The Horn works.

Edited by Georgie56