The ESPN Thread

TheRolyPoly

3 minutes ago, JTT said:

ESPN has the major 4 sports leagues - NFL, NBA, MLB, & NHL, plus college sports.  Is this the first time that one network has all of the major sports in recent years? 

ESPN/ABC has all four leagues for a time in the early 2000s.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

I'll believe it when I see it. I imagine they're using this as a bluff tactic to get more money from cable/satellite providers 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

not in the near future, maybe within the next decade, but how much would they have to charge to make up for the cable subscribers who they get the $ from that never watch? 

23 hours ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

I don't think this service is replacing the linear cable/satellite service, just running along side it. That makes more sense if the goal is to capture the cord cutters that ran away.

will they ever add 5.1 audio to ESPN+? 

Edited by nomadcowatbk

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A standalone ESPN DTC streaming service is officially launching next fall (or as soon as next August). It'll air feeds of ESPN networks and programming, and interactive features like stats and score. Yes, is different from ESPN+.

https://deadline.com/2024/02/disney-espn-streaming-launch-date-bob-iger-1235818372/

2 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

A standalone ESPN DTC streaming service is officially launching next fall (or as soon as next August). It'll air feeds of ESPN networks and programming, and interactive features like stats and score. Yes, is different from ESPN+.

https://deadline.com/2024/02/disney-espn-streaming-launch-date-bob-iger-1235818372/

I would literally pay extra for a 'clean feed' with just a simple scorebug and no tickers; every new sports service seems to think it's required to appeal to the 'prop bet on random Bangladeshi netball at 4:30 in the morning' category of bettors. I really hope that information isn't baked into the video of this service.

• Like 4

On 2/7/2024 at 7:13 PM, mrschimpf said:

I would literally pay extra for a 'clean feed' with just a simple scorebug and no tickers; every new sports service seems to think it's required to appeal to the 'prop bet on random Bangladeshi netball at 4:30 in the morning' category of bettors. I really hope that information isn't baked into the video of this service.

I doubt it will be. They’ll probably have an option to show betting info and game stats, sort of like how Amazon has an NFL StatCast feed for TNF. They would be dumb to bake that into the main feed itself.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 6:13 PM, mrschimpf said:

There would be some exceptions there, like the ESPN channel simulcast of the National Championship, with radio views, although some are awful like that “Power Play on ESPN+” crap that’s just way too much. We don’t need that many games.

• 1 month later...