The ESPN Thread

TheRolyPoly

1 hour ago, AaronQ said:

Couple of news today in the ESPN world:

ESPN and MLB reached a long-term extension for 7 years

And ESPN has reached a long-term agreement with Spain's La Liga for the next 8 seasons (through the 2028-29 season). The deal includes the broadcast rights in Canada on TSN and RDS. The new deal will kick starting in the 2021-22 season.
https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2021/05/espn-and-laliga-reach-historic-rights-agreement-bringing-top-rated-soccer-league-to-millions-more-fans-across-the-u-s/

ESPN has got to sign Ray Hudson for La Liga

14 hours ago, AaronQ said:

Couple of news today in the ESPN world:

ESPN and MLB reached a long-term extension for 7 years

And ESPN has reached a long-term agreement with Spain's La Liga for the next 8 seasons (through the 2028-29 season). The deal includes the broadcast rights in Canada on TSN and RDS. The new deal will kick starting in the 2021-22 season.
https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2021/05/espn-and-laliga-reach-historic-rights-agreement-bringing-top-rated-soccer-league-to-millions-more-fans-across-the-u-s/

Something of note, they're dropping their Monday and Wednesday night games.  I wonder if NBC, CBS, FOX or Turner might want to sweep in and pick up those games.

12 hours ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

Something of note, they're dropping their Monday and Wednesday night games.  I wonder if NBC, CBS, FOX or Turner might want to sweep in and pick up those games.

I doubt it, I believe that Turner will get a Tuesday game with MLBN and FS1 possibly taking those games.

On 5/14/2021 at 11:22 AM, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

I could see FOX or TBS doing it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

Maria Taylor is out at ESPN and heading for NBC where she could start as soon as this Friday on Olympics coverage. 

I knew she would end up leaving especially after all the controversy. I wish her the best of luck at NBC Sports! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know Buck to Disney has been gaining a little steam, but the all-but-confirmation of it is still a stunner. The amount of movement this offseason has been insane. Fun and interesting, but insane.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, 24994J said:

I know Buck to Disney has been gaining a little steam, but the all-but-confirmation of it is still a stunner. The amount of movement this offseason has been insane. Fun and interesting, but insane.

His wife, Michelle Beisner (also an ESPN employee), confirmed it on Instagram.

There's never been an NFL TV hot stove like this, I agree.

• Like 2

Wow, I'm shocked. I figured Buck would be a Fox lifer. Well, I guess this eliminates any concern about the MNF booth having/not having chemistry. They're inheriting a 20-year pairing of commentators.

I guess we'll see how Fox chooses to shift their current talent to make new #1 teams for both NFL and MLB now.

• Like 2

I always thought Buck was going to be at FOX forever, but this is a pretty big hire for sure. Steve Levy can probably focus on hockey now.

I've heard Al Michaels may end up going to FOX, although it seems like many people want Gus Johnson as the lead NFL voice.

I wonder who will now be the lead MLB voice for FOX? 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Premier Lacrosse League makes its ESPN debut today. They are special enough to get a partial reskin of the college basketball scoreboard rather than the more generic scoreboard the NLL college lacrosse (and previously, college basketball) used, though it looks like it's meant to go with the rest of the "white rectangles" package)

(though NLL games on ESPN+ use a slight variant of TSN's hockey graphics, probably because they're falling back on TSN as a bespoke broadcaster for games taking place in Canada, since they actually have more NLL broadcasting experience than ESPN itself)

Edited by Viper550

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

New round of layoffs coming to ESPN. Bob Iger did say last month that layoffs were coming to Disney;

The article says that Stephen A. Smith, Scott Van Pelt, and Joe Buck/Troy Aikman are on the short list of those who are safe.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...