The ESPN Thread

TheRolyPoly

The MNF package reminds me of what Fox threw together for their last Super Bowl, with a poorly-modified version of the old scoreboard, with other, newer graphics.

I maintain that that was going to be FOX's new look til they saw how it actually looked and behaved on air and then they chucked it mid broadcast. The fact that they half assed modded the old scoreboard just showed they had their doubts about in rehearsals. They began reverting different inserts back to the former look as early as mid way through the 1st quarter and any sign of that package was gone by the end of the game.

• Like 5

And we may not have gotten their current look which is one of their best.

Regarding ESPN, I predict they're going to tweak the font on their MLB coverage next year. If they're trying to give every show a different look - and it's clear they are - I feel they'd probably let SC keep Helvetica and move MLB to something else (the rest of the show changed this year). Just a feeling I have.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, in an apparent surprise move, Chris Berman returned to SportsCenter yesterday evening with his traditional "The Blitz" segment featuring the day's NFL highlights. Looks like ESPN decided to not announce it ahead of time. Back in September, we were told that Berman was only being brought back for 5 short pre-recorded Friday segments throughout the NFL season and that there was no agreement in place for him to do highlights. New ESPN management is now working with him to try to get him to work select Sundays throughout NFL season. He's already got personal plans in place most Sundays, but ESPN hopes to bring him back for about 25% of the Sundays this season.

https://nypost.com/2018/08/20/the-head-of-espn-is-behind-chris-bermans-tricky-return/

I know Berman has his detractors, but man, did I miss his unique style of reading the highlights this past year and a half.

• Like 3

Players Only-games have returned to NBA TV.

The commentary crew is based in a slightly redressed and re-lit Studio J watching via monitors and seated at the Inside the NBA desk.

I know in the NHL, each broadcaster is required to feed clean feeds back to the league (and they presumably onpass these feeds to the NHL Network), I would presume that's how NBA TV gets their feeds as well.

Edited by Guest

The commentary crew is based in a slightly redressed and re-lit Studio J watching via monitors and seated at the Inside the NBA desk.

I know in the NHL, each broadcaster is required to feed clean feeds back to the league (and they presumably onpass these feeds to the NHL Network), I would presume that's how NBA TV gets their feeds as well.

NHL Network just simulcasts local broadcast feeds these days complete with graphics and announcers.

• Like 2

Mods, I mistakenly put this in the wrong thread - this probably should've gone to chat even.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/28/2019 at 12:12 PM, Georgie56 said:

Witten is gone 

Thank goodness. I don't think Witten added anything of substance to the broadcasts. 

The favorites to replace him are Kurt Warner and Peyton Manning.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2019/03/01/monday-night-football-candidates-kurt-warner-espn-football-analyst/3029659002/

• 3 weeks later...

It's barely 3 months old, but ESPN has already re-upped its UFC contract into a seven-year deal. Plus, UFC pay-per-views will be exclusive to and only sold to ESPN+ subscribers (I can see this potentially backfiring: how long until they have to decouple it, but conveniently provide a small discount to subscribers? Though the UFC has been a major help for ESPN+'s growth...)

In other news, ESPNU accidentally leaked the Women's NCAA tournament bracket via errant L-bar graphics during its Bracketology this afternoon.

Edited by Viper550

This is more related to ESPN's minority partner, but TSN finally updated its BottomLine (which was based off the previous, red glossy version, even as ESPN went to the grey one) to match the current ESPN design.

TSN's not using the same "format" for every single banner ad in the corner though like ESPN. Personally, I'm quite shocked they kept the colors intact and didn't tint it dark red (given they even had the current SportsCenter graphics touched up to have more red in them to match the rest of their inserts)

The timing was a bit weird: you'd think they would have had this premiering at the start of the NCAA tournament (but thenagain, they've always been weird and wonky with graphics rollouts. The only time they ever did one sensibly, was premiering the current hockey scoreboard at the start of an NHL season.)

Edited by Viper550

They seem to use the same BottomLine instance for all feeds. Even TSN2 had its own instance prior to the "split" (which, honestly, I thought was when they were going to go to the grey ticker, for some reason. But no)

Ever since they switched to the current SC graphics, they've had a few graphical elements more in line with the current boxy/Helvetica scheme, but not everything. It really makes me hope they just chuck this in the trash when CFL season starts.

Edited by Viper550

7 hours ago, Viper550 said:

They seem to use the same BottomLine instance for all feeds. Even TSN2 had its own instance prior to the "split" (which, honestly, I thought was when they were going to go to the grey ticker, for some reason. But no)

Ever since they switched to the current SC graphics, they've had a few graphical elements more in line with the current boxy/Helvetica scheme, but not everything. It really makes me hope they just chuck this in the trash when CFL season starts.

I've seen the Helvetica box pop up on occasion - but more recently I've seen the box come back but with TSN's preferred font choice.

Just for a reference, here's a quick look at what TSN's graphics have looked like since 2016:

SportsCentre2016.jpg

You could almost argue that they were ahead of the trend in 2016. ESPN was still messing around with the blue and silver motif at the time. It wasn't until 2017 and especially 2018 that ESPN decided to fully return SportsCenter to the red and silver color scheme.

• 1 month later...