The ESPN Thread

TheRolyPoly

I feel like there should also be specific threads related to specific broadcast sports operations/networks, just like how we have them for regular seasons in sports (ex. 2018 MLB Season, etc.)

So I thought why not start an ESPN Thread where everything ESPN-related would fit here instead of having separate threads for ESPN+, ESPN's TSN TradeCentre simulcast, ESPN8: The Ocho, etc.

I'll start right here with this...

Try to watch Bob Ley as much as possible right now... he's taking a six-month sabbatical starting October 1st:

https://thebiglead.com/2018/08/15/bob-ley-taking-six-month-break-from-espn/?utm_source=outbrain_thebiglead&utm_medium=recirc&utm_campaign=rail

The FA Cup got a new home at ESPN+ starting this season. Per the agreement, all 79 matches, beginning in the first round in November, is gonna be on the platform. The FA Community Shield is included in the deal as well.

https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2018/08/espn-becomes-exclusive-presenter-of-emirates-fa-cup-in-u-s-through-new-rights-agreement/

• Like 1

In other news, we're getting a new ticker soon. Despite its looks, it uses the same amount of screen space as the classic one. Which means TSN will still be able to cover it up with the even older red glossy one they're still using.

newbottom1-1024x578.jpg

I wanted to see how they have been "handling" it but haven't been anywhere near a TV (particularly that day).

In other news, we're getting a new ticker soon. Despite its looks, it uses the same amount of screen space as the classic one. Which means TSN will still be able to cover it up with the even older red glossy one they're still using.

newbottom1-1024x578.jpg

Have they announced when the new ticker will make its official, permanent debut? I know it'll be before the start of the Football season but, what specific date have they set for that debut?

I didn't think the ticker needed an update. The soon-to-be former version seemed clean and simple enough in this era of graphics where you don't need to edgy, flashy things goings on visually and instead keep it as basic as a text box for the most part. I would have thought the 2014 ticker would last 8-10 years at the least.

newbottom1-1024x578.jpg

First saw it at Boston Logan this morning. That made me think of the CNN "flip" ticker they used to have.

• Like 1

Well it looks like that ESPN Insider is merging with ESPN+ according to a Reddit user who is subscribed to ESPN Insider in the MLS subreddit. [MEDIA=reddit]path=%2Fr%2FMLS%2Fcomments%2F9932ut%2F[/MEDIA]

And here's an article from Variety about it as well. https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/espn-insider-switched-to-espn-plus-streaming-1202911642/

Well it looks like that ESPN Insider is merging with ESPN+ according to a Reddit user who is subscribed to ESPN Insider in the MLS subreddit. [MEDIA=reddit]path=%2Fr%2FMLS%2Fcomments%2F9932ut%2F[/MEDIA]

And here's an article from Variety about it as well. https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/espn-insider-switched-to-espn-plus-streaming-1202911642/

That makes sense, now if they can merge WatchESPN with ESPN+, then I would gladly sign up for the streaming service

• Like 4

Michelle Beadle is exiting Get Up and moving back to Los Angeles, where ESPN will double down on NBA programming featuring her as host. Meanwhile, she will be replaced by rotating guest hosts on Get Up. Get Up will also be reduced by one hour, with that hour returning to SportsCenter.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2018/08/24/michelle-beadle-off-get-up-nba-countdown-returning-to-la/111259542/

It feels like everything that has happened over the past year (Beadle and NBA Countdown moving to NYC, the reduction of SportsCenter, etc.) is slowly being reversed.

[ATTACH=full]6386[/ATTACH]

Appears ESPN has a new scoreboard for college football (college and high school football on ESPN usually share the same graphics package).

Meanwhile, ABC is using the new BottomLine, with the red accents being phased out of the ABC logo.

15352179787071503268777.thumb.jpg.cb6c704819f1470c68e2cfbcf9c1b6cd.jpg

• Like 3

Michelle Beadle is exiting Get Up and moving back to Los Angeles, where ESPN will double down on NBA programming featuring her as host. Meanwhile, she will be replaced by rotating guest hosts on Get Up. Get Up will also be reduced by one hour, with that hour returning to SportsCenter.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2018/08/24/michelle-beadle-off-get-up-nba-countdown-returning-to-la/111259542/

It feels like everything that has happened over the past year (Beadle and NBA Countdown moving to NYC, the reduction of SportsCenter, etc.) is slowly being reversed.

This show is going away in just months. If Beadle's leaving and the show is cutting back in hours, it will just be like High Noon... gone real fast before it barely existed.

This show is going away in just months. If Beadle's leaving and the show is cutting back in hours, it will just be like High Noon... gone real fast before it barely existed.

Wonder how ESPN will justify the studio space they built in NYC? Just move the morning edition of SportsCenter out there?