NBC News to Create Streaming Channel

rkolsen

So this is puzzling - NBC News is to create a streaming channel full of original content. It was reported that Andy Lack unveiled this plan in March with hopes of launch in 2018. If they do this they’ll join the likes of CBSN and Bloomberg in offering a streaming channel.

MSNBC previously had a streaming only channel called shift hosted by their more popular contributors.

https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/nbc-news-streaming-video-1202834051/

So this is puzzling - NBC News is to create a streaming channel full of original content. It was reported that Andy Lack unveiled this plan in March with hopes of launch in 2018. If they do this they’ll join the likes of CBSN and Bloomberg in offering a streaming channel.

MSNBC previously had a streaming only channel called shift hosted by their more popular contributors.

https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/nbc-news-streaming-video-1202834051/

About darn time, eh?

Problem was never promoted correctly and this time it’s from the mothership so it will more likely do better. Also sounds like it will be more then just online it will stream more like CBSN available in more ways

Will Disney bring back ABC News Now?

ABC News has a stream carrying breaking/"moments ago" video along with taped pieces from their other properties (complete with a news update L-bar) and vintage "from the vault" stories at https://abcnews.go.com/live. I believe they're typically live weekday afternoons, much in the same vein as CBSN

• 2 months later...

On October 11th, NBC News launched a new, online/streaming only newscast called Signal. It runs 30 minutes at 7pm ET and is anchored by new hire Simone Boyce. It has only aired on Thursdays so far.

On October 11th, NBC News launched a new, online/streaming only newscast called Signal. It runs 30 minutes at 7pm ET and is anchored by new hire Simone Boyce. It has only aired on Thursdays so far.

First off...Who the heck hired her? Was there no one else in the world they could have selected? Secondly..who wrote her script/copy? It came across as a jumbled mess. Her complete and total lack of energy made things even worse and I had to stop watching 5 minutes in. Plus, what's with only saying her first name? Is she trying to be hip and appeal to the younger crowd? Just dreadful altogether.

• 2 months later...

So, it's been a little more than 3 months since the launch of Signal.  The evening show has been modified some (and, I think, improved upon) since the debut in October.

The show is still only on Thursdays, but there have been teases recently of more to come.

Simone's posted more behind-the-scenes pics on her IG stories, so check those. I wonder when they are going to announce their new shows and hosts.  They've been super tight-lipped about future plans.

This morning, a piece (modifed for TV) from Signal aired on Sunday Today and they promoted the network after the story which was cool.  It's the first time I've seen Signal promoted on TV, which might mean they're ready to expand more, idk.

Also, it's worth mentioning that Signal has an Instagram that they don't post on or promote, which is kinda stupid given that they're aiming for a younger audience and Instagram typically skews younger.

Anyway, I've been impressed by the network so far.  It's A LOT better than CBSN.

I can't wait to see what comes next!

15 hours ago, jbnews said:

So, it's been a little more than 3 months since the launch of Signal.  The evening show has been modified some (and, I think, improved upon) since the debut in October.

The show is still only on Thursdays, but there have been teases recently of more to come.

Simone's posted more behind-the-scenes pics on her IG stories, so check those. I wonder when they are going to announce their new shows and hosts.  They've been super tight-lipped about future plans.

This morning, a piece (modifed for TV) from Signal aired on Sunday Today and they promoted the network after the story which was cool.  It's the first time I've seen Signal promoted on TV, which might mean they're ready to expand more, idk.

Also, it's worth mentioning that Signal has an Instagram that they don't post on or promote, which is kinda stupid given that they're aiming for a younger audience and Instagram typically skews younger.

Anyway, I've been impressed by the network so far.  It's A LOT better than CBSN.

I can't wait to see what comes next!

Eh wouldn't say it's a lot better than CBSN. I've watched a lot of the signal broadcasts and they seem to be rather dull. Awkward fumbles in and out of breaks, irrelevant interviews, and constantly changing sets. It has a chance, but would love to see actual NBC News reports repackaged. Seems like a big waste not to pull on that. 

48 minutes ago, LivefromNewYork said:

Eh wouldn't say it's a lot better than CBSN. I've watched a lot of the signal broadcasts and they seem to be rather dull. Awkward fumbles in and out of breaks, irrelevant interviews, and constantly changing sets. It has a chance, but would love to see actual NBC News reports repackaged. Seems like a big waste not to pull on that. 

It's all personal opinion.  It's a different style.

• 2 weeks later...

Today, more programming was launched on Signal.  "NBC News Briefly" are 5 minute news updates that will air at 1pm, 2pm, and 3pmET Monday-Friday.  They will be hosted by Simone Boyce.  I love the background.  It's really cool.

Archived