WFTS dropping Action News branding?

newsn8te

I follow ABC Action News on Facebook and here lately they've been using a generic WFTS-ABC logo at the end of their videos. I've never seen this logo used anywhere else. I was wondering if they're going to slowly start branding as WFTS outside of the news or if their dropping ABC Action News all together..

Capture.PNG.07d12555cd693a3c0f87aae2b208c109.PNG

If so, I’m thinking they might confine the “ABC Action News” branding to newscasts only. “Your ABC Action News Station” is a mouthful to say.

This is my guess. The brand has always been kind of unwieldy outside of news programming. I don't think they're dumping it entirely.

Or do the way WEWS does it. Drop a very popular-ish branding, replace it with some basic branding. While they're at it, use a basic logo.

ABC Action News to News 28.

Never do a WEWS.

What, you don’t like a big blue lottery ball as the station logo? ;)

I still don't get why Scripps felt the need to have WFTS dump their very nice 28 News look that they had just debuted (Elevation is an underrated package), in favor of a station-wide rebranding, other than apparent synergization with KSHB. Was Scripps ashamed of their high channel numbers and wanted to downplay them? Or was it a WTXF situation where they realized they don't use those numbers on cable systems?

I still don't get why Scripps felt the need to have WFTS dump their very nice 28 News look that they had just debuted (Elevation is an underrated package), in favor of a station-wide rebranding, other than apparent synergization with KSHB. Was Scripps ashamed of their high channel numbers and wanted to downplay them? Or was it a WTXF situation where they realized they don't use those numbers on cable systems?

Didn't the WFTS rebrand happen before KSHB's?

There's may choices of news brandings for WFTS.

1. ABC 28 News

2. WFTS (28) News

3. ABC (28) Eyewitness News

IMO, I have a hunch they'll return to ABC (28) Tampa Bay News.

Let's be real, it's going to be NONE of these. They have not branded with their channel number in nearly 15 years or more. Plus, it's almost irrelevant for them. I mean look at WWSB in Sarasota, they don't brand as ABC 40 and haven't for years, it's all about their cable position, 7.

So wishful thinking, but I believe if they brand as anything it will be ABC Action News for newscasts and WFTS for the station branding.

Was Scripps ashamed of their high channel numbers and wanted to downplay them?

Which made no sense considering that KNXV kept the “ABC 15” brand all along.

Let's be real, it's going to be NONE of these. They have not branded with their channel number in nearly 15 years or more. Plus, it's almost irrelevant for them. I mean look at WWSB in Sarasota, they don't brand as ABC 40 and haven't for years, it's all about their cable position, 7.

So wishful thinking, but I believe if they brand as anything it will be ABC Action News for newscasts and WFTS for the station branding.

It’s not even WWSB... many channels in central and southwestern Florida brand either by cable channel number or otherwise. Even Scripps’ WFTX in Fort Myers goes by “Fox4” and nowhere would you know outside of PSIP that they really operate on channel 36.

I agree, it’s going to be either “WFTS” or “WFTS ABC” as a general brand outside of news. The “WFTS” logo seen earlier in this thread strongly suggests that.

Scripps realized ABC isn't on channel 28 on the area's cable systems, causing "viewer confusion".

Thankfully they aren't going to use their new digital channel number 17. ABC 17 ;)

WCNC was always fun to keep up with their branding. NBC 6, NewsChannel 36, and now NBC Charlotte.

I'm generally a fan of using real (PSIP) channel numbers no matter what but WCNC's NewsChannel 36 branding looked incredibly small market. I'm happy with NBC Charlotte... it's better than branding using a cable channel.

I'm generally a fan of using real (PSIP) channel numbers no matter what but WCNC's NewsChannel 36 branding looked incredibly small market. I'm happy with NBC Charlotte... it's better than branding using a cable channel.

Yep, I agree! Not sure if they even did it because of the analog shutdown and many had digital antennas so they went with the 36 branding. Sorry went off topic.

Archived